Kinect breaking older Xbox 360 models?

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Older Xbox 360 units are apparently suffering from the demands of Kinect as a number of users have reported hardware failures just minutes after using the sensor device.

A thread on the Xbox forums contains a number of players claiming that their older Xbox models failed, some within 10 minutes of plugging in Microsoft's new "controller-free" hardware.

"I have an original Xbox dating back to 2006 - so out of warranty by a year now," said the thread's creator.

"At the weekend I spent £130 on a Kinect and a further £30 on Dance Central, so when I got home I excitedly plugged it into my Xbox... However within 5 minutes it froze up and when I turned it on again it had the dreaded 3 red rings showing."

Another user responded: "Well unfortunately same thing here... my original 360 (which I waited in line for to be a first customer) is now dead.

"This thing had been fine all these years. I got my kids Kinect for Christmas and shortly after plugging it in... [Red Ring of Death]!!"

Users are apparently being denied any free fixes under their warranty as Microsoft support reps claim the problem is with the console and not Kinect. Yet many users' warranties for their older machines have expired, meaning they will now need to pay at least £62 to get the problem fixed.

Microsoft's older Xbox 360 models have come under scrutiny in the past for high levels of hardware failure.

That doesn't surprise me too much to be honest. I have a jtag falcon here, I played adventures off retail disc last nite with friends for around an hour, then loaded freestyle dash to boot sports and the temperature readings were off the charts. Needless to say I then whacked the fans up to 100%!

This happened to my sons old xbox. He got the 4gb kinect bundle so I also had to buy the additional power lead for his old box for obvious reasons. As soon as I turned it on RROD. He said it had RROD a few weeks before but he turned it off and on again and it seemed fine.

I had put the kinect dashboard on it when I updated the firmware and run a kinect disk to see if it worked but didnt have the power lead then.

Took the box to bits redone the silicon grease , overheated it and seems to have cured it for now.

Just have to wait to do the slim and save any future problems.

Back