Just got the dreaded YLOD

Same thing happened to my lad , we bought him a ps3 for his 12th bday, 2 months later playing the same game the thing stopped working , and we couldnt find the receipt .. doh !!
After looking up the error code i saw the prob was with the dvd drive,
I felt sick for him so managed to borrow the money to buy another one , kept that receipt , swopped over certain markings from the old broken console to match the new box
After 3 weeks i took the thing back for a refund , they asked if i wanted a replacement but i said no thanks as we know had bought him an xbox360 :p full cash back followed
The reason i did this is because i read everywere about Sony and them breaking and when you lash out £300 + on a game you expect longer than a few months before it breaks

every little helps :)

Could be other things to, like over heating and whatnot, but it's probably a hardware fault such as the blu ray drive or a fan. Does it tell you an error code or just switches off before anything happens? Is it in a well ventilated area?

Mines in a cabinet below the tv, you hear the fans kicking in now and then and it's a early 60 gigger model.

I was just about to go in and play waw till I read this lol.

I'll give it a good hoover tomorrow to be sure ;)

Sony have the best customer service team I've ever had to deal with.

damn this is getting boring lol suppose ive got my wii but it dont compare to the PS3 online. I actaully keep trying to power it up every so often as one guy on a forum somewhere reckons his stopped doing it and has been fine now for months, so i keep trying like crazy every day lol.:Laugh:

Wohoo finally got my PS3 back but they aint sent me a copy od WAW unless they are removing it from my old console and sending it ack out to me, a quick phone call to them will sort it out. I guess ill see you all onliune tonight but not COD WAW lo9l plus ill be too scared to play it now:Jester:

Nice one Rob,cya online soon then m8 :Kickassro:Kickassro

glad you got it sorted out m8, just have a few games of fifa till you get COD waw, unless your scaried of playing me that is lol

Phoned sony and it could be upto 6 weeks for me to get my copy of WAW as they are taking it out of the console i sent back :Kickassro if i aint got it back in 6 weeks i have to phone them and they will send me out a new one because they will have been unable to retrieve it. Dam stupid updates too , had to update the f/w straight away and going to have to update each game that's been updated when i start it, really wish i kept backups of everything now.
@ cg010169 looks like its FIFA for the next 6 weeks lol, maybe i can catch up on all my save games that i lost until then :proud:

upto 6 weeks for me to get my copy of WAW

Yeah funny 6 weeks my ass, just got it back today and it wasnt my copy it was new (supposedly so) but it looks slightly 2nd hand, but anyway just downloaded the update so im off to catch up on some xp lol.

Well doing a bit of a search as my sons has got YLD, was looking for a fix as Sony replaced a 11 month old unit with one of these super tested repair jobs and its lasted only 6 months! Now Sony are asking for £145.00 to send me another recon, I dont think so!!!!!!!:FRIGHT:

Why not try the YLOD fix?

It's fairly straight forward however most machines YLOD again within a month or two.

ooh they better get a hack out for it then sharpish or NO-one will want one :D

funny that WAW causes this, its the same on 360.. (gears of war2 runs hot as well) they shouldn't make games they know are gonna push the hardware limits too far and cause damage, overheating etc.

@witchy that sounds as effective as the Rrod fix lol

Of course it had cod running at the time of failure, had a look at the fix, think i am going to look for a local repair first, if not might have to have a go at the fix!

Every PS3 I've fixed has had a copy of WAW inside the drive :)

@ English, IMO the YLOD 'fix' is considerably more unreliable than the RROD fix.

So far I've only had two 360's fail on me after a fix, and they have both been E74.

Every PS3 I've fixed has had a copy of WAW inside the drive :)

@ English, IMO the YLOD 'fix' is considerably more unreliable than the RROD fix.

So far I've only had two 360's fail on me after a fix, and they have both been E74.

fancy fixing mine witchy?

Just been on the phone again to Fony, tried the EU 2 year warranty directive but there not intrested, looked on the web and people are offering a repair for £50 plus p&p with 2 month warranty, is it worth it? will they do a better repair better than me having a go at it?

why not take out continous play (fiver a month, but cancel after u get ps3 back) and get it repaired that way???

why not take out continous play (fiver a month, but cancel after u get ps3 back) and get it repaired that way???

Rang them up no can do its logged as faulty, i need to have a working unit before they will open an account, ta.

Back