Just got new cheapo freeview and advice ?

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
I just got this new unit http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?lang=&product=GRADEA075

Need a little help with a couple of audio settings please.

First of all I should say that its hooked up to a 5.1 home theatre sound system (panasonic SA-HT870) via scart.

Ok, in the audio menu for the new dvd recorder, there are some options and i dont know what they mean a do and what they should be set at, maybe someone will know, i will say what they are and what options there are to select for each thing...
Downmix :, options stereo and surround, i set it to surround.
SPDIF output :, options are raw and Lpcm, i have it set to raw.
LpcM output :, options are LPCM 48k and LPCM96k, i have it set to 48k.
Dynamic Range :, options are off,1/4,1/2,3/4,Full, i have it set to 1/2.

Thats all iam trying to find out about if someone can help please.

Downmix :The option to mix the 5.1 soundtrack into just a stereo output or a virtual surround for stereo amps - I would leave this as stereo and your Panna will decode the stereo signals into pro-logic surround for you.

SPDIF output :The name stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format (more commonly known as Sony Philips Digital Interface), options are raw and Linear pulse code modulation leave it on raw

LpcM output :, as its set to raw - it dosent matter, however LPCM 48 would be correct otherwise (these settings are for the optical lead and is much better that the scart as it provides proper digital 5.1 input to the panna)

Dynamic Range : can make the quieter parts louder and the louder parts quiteter on the soundtrack - i.e you dont need to keep adjusting the volume on badly mixed soundtracks - but better set to off for most dvds

thanks for that mate :), i meant to say thanks the other day and forgot, so thanks mate, lol

Downmix :The option to mix the 5.1 soundtrack into just a stereo output or a virtual surround for stereo amps - I would leave this as stereo and your Panna will decode the stereo signals into pro-logic surround for you.

SPDIF output :The name stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format (more commonly known as Sony Philips Digital Interface), options are raw and Linear pulse code modulation leave it on raw

LpcM output :, as its set to raw - it dosent matter, however LPCM 48 would be correct otherwise (these settings are for the optical lead and is much better that the scart as it provides proper digital 5.1 input to the panna)

Dynamic Range : can make the quieter parts louder and the louder parts quiteter on the soundtrack - i.e you dont need to keep adjusting the volume on badly mixed soundtracks - but better set to off for most dvds

So a recording with a wide dynamic range is badly mixed? I'm not sure that audio enthusiasts would agree with you there hawkish m8. Quite the opposite in fact.

So a recording with a wide dynamic range is badly mixed? I'm not sure that audio enthusiasts would agree with you there hawkish m8. Quite the opposite in fact.

Think there is a misunderstanding here nara

I was explaining the meaning of the functions on this chaps DVD recorder - that particular function does what it does because some films are mixed with voices barely listenable and explosions extremely loud on most systems. they are all mixed with exactly the same frequency range in order to cohere with the relative DD / DTS standards so im not sure what you are getting at - but to clarify for all "Dynamic range" means the player can dynamically adjust the range of ITS OWN OUTPUT in order to produce the effect described above. some 5.1 soundtracks are mixed to make you jump a mile when all the action kicks off - however its not everyones cup of tea and this is for the people that reach for the volume button all the time.
All dolby and dts discs use exactly the same fequency range - its all in the postmix of the channels.

@ slasher - glad to help m8

Think there is a misunderstanding here nara etc.

Not really. The only issue I have is with the "badly mixed" statement.

The "dynamic range" of a recording is the difference between the minimum and maximum sound amplitude on the recording. I think you're using the term merely to describe one of the DVD player's controls which can compress the dynamic range

If people want to compress the dynamic range of a recording for their own convenience then that's their choice, but it doesn't mean that the soundtrack is badly mixed. In fact, I would argue that a recording with a restricted dynamic range is "badly mixed." This example refers to CD mixing, but the same principle applies to DVDs: [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ[/ame]

However, this is all getting a bit technical and off-topic.

Last edited:
Not really. The only issue I have is with the "badly mixed" statement. blah blah

I think it is painfully obvious that the dynamic range is the difference between the highest and lowest amplitude of the recorded material without distortion - we all know this, and I also know that some dvd soundtracks have some people reaching for the remote - i DID suggest leaving the feature off and naturally everything depends on the ears, system and calibration, but the statement that some DVDs are badly mixed is perfectly true - even in the range of a sound is perfect - if the level is off then it can be hard to hear / too loud in any given channel. The DVD of vertical limit is a good example of this.
If you really think that all DVDs are mixed perfectly then you are in a minority of 1. m8

Thanks for the links - quite interesting but this has been my industry for the last 10 years so im pretty confedent in what im saying

Back