Just fell for an Internet ruse/scam

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I've just fell for it. An email from British Gas saying I owe money and threatening all sorts if I don't contact them.
Didn't think twice as I have just this week contacted them as being the new account holder for this property. I used their link to log into my account which I previously had with them, not even sure if the password was correct, only to find it was a false link used to obtain a password used with that email address.

Luckily it's an email address I barely use and I don't think the password I gave is probably linked to anything. Come to think of it I never used that particular email address for my old account anyway.

I thought I was really good at spotting these shit emails, just goes to show how easy it is to be took in. ;)

Just been through all my saved passwords on Google and all passwords used with the compromised email address are significantly different to the one I entered on the bogus site. :)
Here is the email with the majority of the email address blanked out. My name not being used should have been the telltale sign but as I said previously it was my very recent dealings with them that threw me.

ruse.jpg

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

I nearly got caught by the 'TV Licensing' one, which said they were unable to process my payment.

As my credit card had that week expired, I thought nothing of it and clicked on the link to change my credit card details. Then, I started thinking, don't I pay this monthly by Direct Debit ?? :: quickly exited the scamming site …..!!!

Yes a few years ago i also done a passport online service one and was charged for them to provide me with a form signing service but i thought i would receive passport all checked ect.
Sorry you got scammed mate but you are not on your own don't let it ruin your weekend

Yes a few years ago i also done a passport online service one and was charged for them to provide me with a form signing service but i thought i would receive passport all checked ect.
Sorry you got scammed mate but you are not on your own don't let it ruin your weekend
No harm done mate, just dented my pride a little, lol.

I've been close a couple of times but never (to my knowledge) fallen for it. In this case there are a couple of glaring grammar errors that would have set my alarm bells ringing, but as time goes on the scammers might get better at spelling, syntax etc. making them even harder to spot.
Glad you weren't truly 'had' @chookey .

Back