jtag about to die methinks :( Anyone know of someone who can do a proper reflow?

since the initial reports, I decided to put the 360 back in case.....arguably more optimal airflow then, and put ye olde cardboard mods on top of the shroud/heatsinks to seperate the flow better.

Just had a few hours gaming, (only kids games though nothing too intensive - but going to have an RB3 session with newly arrived keyboard and pro guitar shortly :))

temps for cpu and gpu were both around 62-63degrees (fans still at 100%)

Happy days...

Well......so much for that :(

Since having the 'permanent fix' of a reball......the consoles probably had about 10hrs of use per week I'd say on average. Sons game Spyro crashed a few times yesterday (screen glitching/freeze)...so thought "fuuuukkkkkk" but seemed to be ok playing Fifa a bit shortly after while trying another game.

However, today switched it on and I'm now back to a 0102 code :(

Not sure what to do now. Its had 1 heatgun fix (by Dibbers) sometime over a year ago, and recently the reball/gpu replacement, but its still done it. Maybe its time to call it a day and send it to its grave....but then I'll be without a jtag :( I do have other xboxs but they're not jtaggable....and so the major chew on burning discs and having to redownload everything again.

Annoying too, as I still kept the fans patched to 100% to prevent this from happening.

Just checked Mikes store, and looks like its a 90day warranty on all repairs, so hopefully covered...obviously minus postage costs.

Will contact and hope he can sort it out for me again. Sons not happy at moment (in tears lol).....I'm just sick as a chip from it going again. As normal, I rarely got to play any games I want, and mostly playing kidsy stuff with them

Oh balls.

Keep getting "mail delivery failed: return to sender" messages when trying to email :(

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of itsrecipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: pipe to |/home/mc260377/public_html/support/cli/index.phpgenerated by [email protected]l delivery failed The following text was generated during the delivery attempt: ------ pipe to |/home/mc260377/public_html/support/cli/index.php

hopefully its just a temporary error

2nd attempt at email must have gone through.

Had a fast reply from Mike to send it in and he'll sort it. Can't fault for service that is for sure.

Need to find box etc suitable next from work.

Wish knew how to cure this damn console once and for all. 100% fans don't seem to work, and its not stuffed in a tight space or anything like that.

When first corrupt screen crash happened last night I was "**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****" thinking it was about to die there and then. After it did it in the same game, minutes of each over several times I knew it was impending again.

If I had the confidence to, when working again (hopefully), I'd liquid cool the bloody thing to keep it running.

Other than that, at the moment I feel like drop kicking it for a field goal.

get the drive removed and get an extra fan blowing straight down on the GPU, that's what i have done with the very old machine that E74'd on me and RROD etc etc, everyother day the thing was dying on me, i'm going to do the same with me jtag as the GPU on the E74 machine is cool to the touch and never had a problem with it since.....

i'll record the temps of me jtag before the mod and then after this weekend for ya, see what it's reaching...etc

Sorry to hear she's gone again mate

I had the drive removed also.......tho didn't add any extra fan in it....just removed the front plate off the dvd drive to cover the gap.

Wish I had more time on my hands to spend modding/cooling it some more, but between work and kids, and keeping Mrs Grumpy happy, its hard to find time for playing with the games let alone tweaking it more. Looking forward to the end of my contract in a few weeks so I can have some time off.

Tomorrow will just get the drive reassembled etc ready for its return.

Think I may keep the fans back to auto speed seeing as it seems to make Jack-All difference once it comes back..

I wonder how many non-xenon hdmi jtags are out there for sale at the moment that have no rrod history!! Wouldn't mind buying another one as a backup.

Out of curiosity....what type of fan did you put in where the dvd drive was?

egay had some the other day for like £90.00 quid, not sure make and model search for the dash on ebay, or old dashboard etc, there's a few come back, i was at the end of my teather with the bloody E74 error and as a last resort i took a spare fan from an old xbox and wired it straight to the 12v suply under the board and then plopped that face down on the GPU, a bit of a botch job really but one more RROD of it and it was going the journey! but she's hung in there ever after it and that was like a year or maybe even longer ago.....as i say the GPU is cool to the touch so got to be a bonus....well i know it is as it was every other day she was RROD on me!

Last edited:
One thing I have done which seems to have held rrod at bay is to remove the dvd drive (long cables), but a jasper cpu heatsink on each chip, fans at 100% and an extra 60mm fan forcing air through the sinks to the back, to top it off I chopped a hole in the top.

I hosted a lobby on it a with no issue and after 3 hours under xex menu the cpu was at 56C and the gpu at 45C, which are extremely low temps especially for a xenon.

Take a look here, http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/top.../page__p__2191261__fromsearch__1#entry2191261

Jama

well after my last posts, Mike from The Hangar had fixed it for me again, so all was well......

however, yesterday was the first signs, and today its gone yet again......occasional 0102 rrod, occasional freeze on bootup or dash or few mins into game with glitched gfx.

soooo.....its lasted round about another month, of fairly light use.

Needless to say, a bit pee'd off again...and of course I hold no faith now in this whole GPU replacement/reball instead of reflow work...seeing as the first one lasted about 2 months, and 2nd one about 1 month....and I rarely play on the console too so not like it gets a hammering.

Can't see the point in sending it back and forward every month to be repaired so now have to decide

a) just give up and sell the jtag as an rrod, start using my backup old flashed 360 and be done with it. Negative to that though is will lose a shiteload of downloaded games, xbla and dlc that have collected (pretty much everything out there under the sun)....and all games since the jtag will have to be redownloaded as never made disc backups (seeing as theres no way to convert them back to a working iso again)...so months of downloading to do (maybe an opportune time to upgrade to 50mb)

b) Attempt my own hot air gun fix (bit reluctant to seeing as last time I tried that on a 2nd hand bought console to give a try I blew the caps and nearly took an eye out :))

c) Attempt the easier, but prob short lasting, Oven Bake fix.

If only there was a simple solution, such as transferring the nand from the old 360 and putting it onto a more modern/reliable one :)

I frikkin hate 360s!!! :)

grrrr grumble shits n sticks

sorry to hear it's gone again mate....did you put a 12v fan mod on the GPU?

i just still wish the slim could be jtagged :-(

well looks like its finally gone properly now.

Had a couple of hours gaming session on Call Of Duty MW to give it a try out. It crashed once after being blown up by a bomb....rebooted and all was ok.

Then, while had my tea, left it running idle on the FSD Dash, and switched back to the screen and it was locked up. Powered off and now its consistently giving rrod with a 0102 standard error.

So......time to get someone to do a proper reball for me :)

Anyone used consolewizard.co.uk before?

I see they charge £29.99 for repairs (but say £10 more if you've attempted the repair yourself - which I haven't - but obv it has had xclamp fix a year or so ago - so may be chargable)

But I also see they do a jtagging service......I have 2 backup 360s......however not sure if they are indeed taggable or not....The dash is the correct version, but they are only just past the cut off date I'd heard ages ago for being taggable cos of the CB. But I wonder if the dates are different for UK 360s.

One was a warranty refurb from MS with a refurb date of 22nd July 09.
The other is a still-in-box Elite bought from store, dated 7th July 09.

Reckon theres a chance these may be taggable?

Though I did my old xenon myself, I'd much rather pay (if they can be done), than go through the time and hassle of relearning how to do it again.....and be better also for myself, as the Elite is an hdmi model.

Oh and I'll contact gadgetrepairs thanks Oggy.....hopefully he'll be able to sort something.

I've emailed the other site asking if they think the 2 boxes would likely be taggable also, but looks like their mail order side of things now is shut until the 12th Nov :(

I got my jtag done by console wizard, very professional and very educated.

wasn't a 12v fan mod, just set manually to 100% by FSD at all times....and a few other tweaks, such as the holes in the back, heatsinks on ram etc.

As it stands at the moment, I'm tempted to just move back to the regular 360....and when I have time, which is v limited at the mo, maybe just do an oven bake on it.....though I know seems to be very mixed opinions on that one.....though I do still have the hot air gun etc from the previous attempt at the other box eons back. Between kids and work, and an over demanding missus (who just wants my body all the time(!)) no time for anything. Wish I was a gypsy....with nothing to do all day (but a power supply in the caravan for a console/pc)

Who knows......fingers crossed another exploit gets found in the future....but v much doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if noones even looking for any...especially with the majority of the uber clever people looking for more exploits presumably on ps3 now that its wide open.

I wonder how many jtag 360s are left out there in the world (that last for more than a few days between fixes :))

man cracks me up some of your tails of woe!...lol.....if the worst comes to the worst drop it off and i'll have another go but really up to me eyes me self, if she works i'll drop a fan on the GPU and 12 v mod it....mines cold to the touch...... but other than that i dunno matey if it's been reablled twice and that? maybe the last days have passed her by?

cheers again mate.....may take you up on that...though not for a while....if dont sort it some other way. Don't work at the same place now too so a little harder to skive by while pretending to work.

I'm just a bag of whinge lately...moreso than normal.....think I need to take up some substances, or at the very least snort up 50 packets of poppy seeds to lighten myself up a bit. Joys of fatherhood I guess :)

This time round I'd decided to keep the dvd drive in, seeing as it made no difference to it failing again last time round. I suppose theres potential that sticking a fan direct down inside it might make it last more permanantly.....though that would mean getting soldering iron out again etc (and digging out suitable size fans, and lots of other stuff that take that precious thing known as saffron....I mean time)

From cold I do get a few minutes out of it till it glitches out again, temperates reporting around 62deg on the GPU according to FSD around the time of glitching....but gaming it generally gets a few degrees higher.

Got any links to the exact fans you've been using by any chance? Would also be better really to get a heatsink a bit like the refurbed 360s come with - with the extra copper pipe that leads round to the front of the cpu.

Could always give it a test, and just put a big meaty self powered fan of some sort directly through the dvd drive hole and sat on top of the gpu heatsink...and see if it holds

anyone know of anyone selling a jtagged jasper console? (preferably one with no rrod history :))

i would HIGHLY recommend DJJAMA

i got mine from him a while back and i have not had one fault what so ever and i use it a lot

Cheers.....considering getting a Jasper now.....waiting on a reply from DJJamma :)

Jasper was the most recent taggable console wasn't it? Not falcon or zephyr? As I've forgotten the order of them all now, other than xenon being first.

Going to butter up (literally) the other half tonight to get permission from the old battle axe to get another one :) Seeing as I have 3 other nontaggable 360s (2 which have never been used).....aswell as other consoles...going to have my work cut out to pursuade her :)

Here's hoping she doesn't throw a strop about it....worst case scenario I do still have a shitload of games on disc.......but all the ones that came out since did my first jtag would need redownloading and burnt again....so bit of a headache for that too.

i cant remember mines its the 4gb version but never skipped a beat my spare was ok as well but this one runs a lot lower temps

Back