jtag about to die methinks :( Anyone know of someone who can do a proper reflow?

Hey

I had a reply from Chris. Unfortunately he's too busy until the new year to take on any more jtag fixes :( He did offer to look at the possible jtags though but didnt think it would be likely.

Kids managing on the ps3 at the moment, so could potentially wait a while.

Annoying though as I want to buy the Rock Band 3 Pro guitar and keyboard for xmas, but can't decide which console to buy it on. PS3 where I'm not in fear of it dying every 5 mins, or the jtag 360, where I've got all the DLC for it.

Anyone please recommend someone alternative for the reflow in meantime?

Same problem here, i need someone who i can trust with my beloved jtag to do a proper reball (preferably with leaded solder).

Found a few places:
Console wizard
The Hangar
Retronix

What are the people like though ? would prefer some sort of recommendation.

hand't seen the hangar site until now.

hopefully someone has tried that The Hangar before and can recommend. It claims to be a full reball using leaded solder, so defo in theory should be a better job.

Typical - new dashboard now out for jtag users too!!! Could have had a Kinect on by now!

(Link Removed Janobi) offer a reflow or a full reball - for those who are also interested (please note I can't vouch for them yet - hoping anyone else knows if they've reliable and not yet another scam/botch job)

they have a facebook page too - with some comments on - sound like may be onto a winner (hoping)

Last edited by a moderator:
had a pretty quick reply from the fella

Yes, I can do JTAG consoles as long as they are tidy and dont have any glue on the motherboard. With reballing, the board would have to go through 2 heat cycles - 1 to remove the GPU and 1 to re-attach and if its messy or there is glue on the board it will melt and cause all sorts of extra problems. So if its clean, then fine :) You could always send it anyway and I will soon let you know whether or not I am happy to attempt it.

Let me know if you want to go ahead and I will let you know what to do next :)

Not sure what he means about the glue on the board. Some retail consoles have it does he mean I wonder? Or some people actually using glue in the fixes he is referring to?

I think he may be referring to people using glue or tape to hold the jtag wiring down leaving a residue, Not sure but this is what i reckon

If you use them let me know how you get on, my jtag still works at the moment but its starting to lock up now and then

you're right - asked him and he said same thing to me. Luckily I did nothing like that - but am concerned about my crap soldering skills coming loose when in postage, but he did say he'd tidy up the jtag wires if needs be.

Haven't had time to reply to him today as been manic, but tmw going to put the 360 back into its case, find all them missing screws lol, and get it ready to be sent off.

One thing a mate did point out earlier today mind which I didnt notice.

On his website, it says "A reball will be carried out on the XBOX360 GPU which involves replacing with a Brand New GPU with leaded solder"

Considering he is charging just £10 more for a reball compared to a reflow, I'd be surprised if he fully changes the gpu toa brand new one? (can you even buy new gpus seperate?) Presumably just the same gpu, but brand new leaded solder.

Now to find a decent courier company that wont rip my arms off

"A reball will be carried out on the XBOX360 GPU which involves replacing with a Brand New GPU with leaded solder"

Considering he is charging just £10 more for a reball compared to a reflow, I'd be surprised if he fully changes the gpu toa brand new one?

I would imagine he has some GPU's cleaned up and ready to go to speed up the process, then he just cleans your GPU up later to use on someone's 360 and so on...

yeah I thought that too.

I've assembled 360 ready to go.

Will let you know how it goes :) Missing the peace and quiet from my kids now!!

Last edited:
Hi All its Mike from The Hanger. Just thought I would sign up and say hi and to put a few minds at ease :)

The GPU's I use are new leaded GPU's that I get imported. Due to the amount of consoles I reball I get these in to speed up the process and the GPU's that are removed go into a pile to be reballed later when I get time. I have yet to find that time though so I can assure you that it will be a new preballed lead GPU that will be going in the console.

Just a little background.... Ive been in the console business since Nov 2005 and currently reballed over 200 XBOX360's and god knows how many reflows. Im based in Bournemouth in the UK and it is a registered Ltd Company.

You will also find me as an admin on the CVX game console repair forums - just google it and you will find it.

Looking forward to getting your console in and hopefully getting it up and running again. And to anyone else that has had there beloved Jtag'd console die on them, I would be happy to help you out.

As mentioned earlier in this thread... as long as the Jtag is clean and there is no glue (holding down the wires) then I will be happy to attempt a reball for you to get it up and running again :) My failure rate is almost non existent but if a repair does fail the only price you would pay is for the return shipping.... and trust me, I am one of those guys that doesnt like to give up so if a repair fails then it has really failed after exhausting every possibility to get it working.

All the best,
Mike

hiya, you found me then lol :)

All set - just trying to find a suitable sized box to put it in - did get one from loft but could fit 4 xboxs in there so will have another look :)

Gutting when the jtag shows signs of failing. Every time I had a game crash in past would always have mini panic attack when going to reboot it. After I blew up the caps on a nonjtagged console with hot air gun months ago when trying a fix myself, flat out refuse to touch my jtag one and let someone who knows what they're doing on i.

Bet you can't wait to see my mint soldering skills, and nice burning of the board around it where I kept messing up lol - you should have seen the lpt cabling too!!

in fact...cop a load at that lol https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/227313/#post1685908 - the smc itself isnt anywhere near as bad as that tho :)

Reserved at Argos a kinect just in case gets the beaut back up and running.....would hate to have to go back to discs again on a nonjtag

Finally found a suitable size box in loft to post it in!! All packed up and ready to go :D:D:D

Hoping I can start playing some games myself soon on it when get it back - fed up of it being the kids Lego-Box 360 with them sodding lego games. If comes back fixed, then its my turn for some proper gaming on it!!!

Great - will get it sorted ASAP for you. And yes, hopefully it will be back with you in a working condition so you can get caining on it :)

All done and tested OK. Ive sorted your soldering out for you aswell :) Will get it back out to you tomorrow.

Awesome work - thanks Mike, and thanks for keeping me updated with the photos and phone calls.

Git for trying to winding me up though lol

I would give you a manhug and a big sloppery kiss right about now lol.

I'll name my 3rd baby Mike.

I'll post the pics up that you sent me later on for anyone on here who's interested.....

Can't wait to get it back too to get 'tinkering' with the updates.

I emailed you earlier, but keep getting message delivery failure reports in hotmail for some reason

Link removed Janobi

etc etc. Not sure if the mails actually getting to you though, the one I sent just as you started sending the pics seemed to which also gave delivery failure report

Arrr - I dunno.... probably the SQL server having a funny 5 minutes. Ive just tested it my end and it seems to be ok.

Your welcome by the way.... glad I could get it up and running :)

tried a resend but still never went through 10 minutes after...oh well lol

Anyways, this here Dash Launch V2.05 - Scenyx Entertainment Community, DashLaunch 2.05 - meant to get around the AP25 checks for AssCreed NFS etc for us jtag owners. I think it only works when run from external hdd however, not as a dvd/internal solution.

I better not fook up my upgrade to the freeboot 12611 new dash!! Then I would be majorly gutted lol

Arrr - I dunno.... probably the SQL server having a funny 5 minutes. Ive just tested it my end and it seems to be ok.

Your welcome by the way.... glad I could get it up and running :)

What kind of prices are u talking about for a reball?
Non jtag console

£50.00 which includes return delivery - Just google "The Hanger Reball" not sure if I am allowed to post links here. Doing approx 30 consoles a day at the moment. Obviously better for us if sending cash with the console but can take secure card payments through the website aswell :)

£50.00 which includes return delivery - Just google "The Hanger Reball" not sure if I am allowed to post links here. Doing approx 30 consoles a day at the moment. Obviously better for us if sending cash with the console but can take secure card payments through the website aswell :)

What kinds of guarantees you offer mate?

3 months - usually always. Sometimes does depend on the console. If I open one up and find scorch marks everywhere and bolts so tight that they are nearly coming through the other side of the pcb or pennys flying around everywhere then I wont offer a warranty on it.

Generally though, this only applies to a very small percentage of consoles and to the DIY YouTube console butchers.

Back