Joiner advice needed?

@ CHRONO call me m8, you can clear up what you have under there and what you need to know. your too far from me to look properly.

@ CHRONO call me m8, you can clear up what you have under there and what you need to know. your too far from me to look properly.

Ok fine stick the joist to the floor Do not make me out to look a fool pal I have done this before and it works so I suggest you leave it to chronoman to make the final decision. This is a matter of opinion not a slanging match.:FINGER:

Cmon guys enuff shit goign on here!
Having looked in better light this morning the bottom joist are into groove in wall .
Undernath isnt solid concrete,i dont want to push down to make hole but since its dried out its far more apparent.
i am going to parralell run lower and upper joist so its supported at wall as well as bolted onto joist.
I would rather over engineer this to be on the safe side.
On a positive note i have re sealed shower and its drying up nicely.
Thanks for offer stef ,i am going to joiners to get wood and will explain what i am doing.
Is there specific bolts used for this sort of job?

i would use M10 coach bolts , ideally you need to overlap the joists by at least 1000mm and use 3 bolts either side at 300mm centres , thats what i would do.

i would use M10 coach bolts , ideally you need to overlap the joists by at least 1000mm and use 3 bolts either side at 300mm centres , thats what i would do.

At last somebody is being sensible about this.It is just what I had in mind. well done m8 you are thinking like me thank you.:Clap:

well after digging more rubble out i have found another RSJ (girder) 750 mm from one at wall.
i think i just need to slide in new 5x2 into the two girders with the 4x2 on top .
I feel much happier knowing there must be beams running right across the bathroom section so no shower in the underpass.
THANKS AGAIN ALL WHO POSTED I SAVED MY NO CLAIMS :banana::banana:

Ok fine stick the joist to the floor Do not make me out to look a fool pal I have done this before and it works so I suggest you leave it to chronoman to make the final decision. This is a matter of opinion not a slanging match.:FINGER:

its not a slaging match, your telling him to do too much. i dont like that tone either. i do this stuff every other week from kitchens to bathrooms. your telling the man to bolt this and and treat that. its a simple repair job with minimal material and effort. you may done stuff like this before but you dont need to do all that extra work. it a hole in a non load bearing floor. im not making you out a fool. when it comes to the internal building work leave it to people who do it for a living. so far since doing this kind of work i have never had any complaints or been sent to jail or sued. that tells me i am doing something right.

@chrono, call a local guy that you know who does this stuff. preferably a guy you know or is a friend of a friend. if your floor is load bearing then you will have to replace joists and tie them in to the wall etc(a big pain in the arse job) however if im right and there is a concrete base under your timber then your floor is just 'resting' on the concrete and you just have to build back up the rotten bits (very easy for a novice) if this its the easy way go to your local timber merchant and buy a couple of tubes of gripfill (a serious hard glue) and a length of wood the same thickness as the joists. cut to length and shape of rotten bit sit in place with the glue. this will never move in a month of sundays when took up. then get a sheet of new flooring the same thickness as rotten stuff. cut to size and glue down on top of new timber. then screw down the flooring. i promise you this is going to be still there when you pull the house down. if it is a load bearing floor then i advise a joiner come and do it for you as just bolting new bits of joist to old may not be a good idea you may have to lay new joist all the way to the next load bearing wall to support your bash/shower etc. again this is something a decent local joiner friend could explain to you at closer inspection. if you wanted to make a claim for it through your insurance i have invoices and quote headed word documents i couls email to you. just fill in theblanks after you get a few quotes for the work.

just on a wee note m8, i am only making educated guesses on photos. i cant see properly what the full picture is. i would need to look at it in real life before i could say what the best action would be. i dont know why i am getting flipped the bird for, my advice is not wrong its just guess work based on a scenario on a photo. in the future i will refrain from giving anyone advice just in case i offend anyone. sometimes it just takes a simple approach to a simple solution.

the last pic was steel beam 750mm from beam in wall.
the joist i need to swap is 5x2 x 750mm to fit into both beams.
i dont need to bolt as the two girders will support new wood .
@ ste & miggy,theres more than one way to skin cat i appreciate both inputs which gave me choices please dont fall out on my part as you both helped loads

just on a wee note m8, i am only making educated guesses on photos. i cant see properly what the full picture is. i would need to look at it in real life before i could say what the best action would be. i dont know why i am getting flipped the bird for, my advice is not wrong its just guess work based on a scenario on a photo. in the future i will refrain from giving anyone advice just in case i offend anyone. sometimes it just takes a simple approach to a simple solution.

piss off you sarcastic barsteward who do you think you are. This is a forum site to give people advice whether or not people take that advice is up to them yes you have given your opinion and yes I have given mine.Deal with it.Do not slag me off for the work I do. Have I once said you were uncapable of fitting kitchens?No so why call me saying I am over fabricating and its not needed. DONT DO IT THE WAY I SAID THEN ITS ONLY MY GUESS JUST LIKE YOU SAID.End of discussion Iam obviously wasting my time talking to you.

come on fellas 2 lots of advice im sure are being recieved well by chronoman havent a clue which is the best way to go but at least he has the option and is armed with enough info, thanks to both of you!!!

I'm sure the guys will kiss and make up and have a laugh at it all later

come on fellas 2 lots of advice im sure are being recieved well by chronoman havent a clue which is the best way to go but at least he has the option and is armed with enough info, thanks to both of you!!!

As stated it was only my opinion on how to tackle the job Chrono didnt have to take my advice. stefblak gave his advice and its chronos choice how he does it. Even if it is his own way no harm done. Stefblac is in the wrong telling me I am over fabricating. ffs is only opinions is it really worth it?.

Last edited:
I dont think you were over fabricating to be honest , i would rather over fabricate than end up showering in the underpass. lol
As stated it was only my opinion on how to tackle the job Chrono didnt have to take my advice. stefblac gave his advice and its chronos choice how he does it. Even if it is his own way no harm done. Stefblac is in the wrong telling me I am over fabricating. ffs is only opinions is it really worth it?.

I dont think you were over fabricating to be honest , i would rather over fabricate than end up showering in the underpass. lol

Yes m8 and I wouldnt shower in my underpants neither lol

@ chronoman will it be possible to make a little video with your mobile phone or something and upload it.better for peeps to give advice :)

Back