John Terry gagging order lifted by High Court

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
An injunction stopping the media from reporting allegations about England football captain John Terry's private life has been lifted by the High Court.

Mr Justice Tugendhat removed the order, which banned reports about married Terry's alleged affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.

The Chelsea star is alleged to have had an affair with French model Vanessa Perroncel, ex-partner of Wayne Bridge.

An interim order had been granted at a private hearing in London last Friday.

It had banned publication of details of the alleged relationship and barred the use of photographs relating to it.

However, the judge said the information was in "wide circulation amongst those involved in the sport in question, including agents and others, and not just amongst those directly engaged in the sport".

Justice Tugendhat said he thought Terry's real concern was the effect on his sponsorship contracts, in which case, payment of damages would be an adequate remedy if he succeeded at trial.

The judge said: "Freedom to live as one chooses is one of the most valuable freedoms, but so is the freedom to criticise".

John Terry and Wayne Bridge played together at Chelsea until Wayne Bridge moved to Manchester City in 2008. It has not been revealed when the affair is alleged to have taken place.

Lawyers for Terry had obtained the injunction a week ago, after learning that the News of the World planned to write about him.

BBC media correspondent Torin Douglas said the existence of these so-called super-injunctions had become more widely known recently.

He said: "Lawyers for the oil trading firm Trafigura stopped a parliamentary question being reported by the Guardian, until its identity became widely known via the Twitter social network.

"This ruling recognises the right of media to report."
News of the World legal manager Tom Crone welcomed the decision as "a long overdue breath of fresh air and common sense".

"Over recent years, there has been more prior restraint on freedom of speech in Britain than in any other democratic country in the world," he said.

"Gagging orders like the one sought by John Terry have been granted to numerous other Premier League footballers and assorted celebrities."
He said he hoped the ruling would lead to "a fundamental reassessment of our draconian privacy laws".

A Chelsea spokesman said: "This is a personal matter for John Terry. The club will give John and his family all the support they need in dealing with it."

Terry, 29, married childhood sweetheart Toni Poole in 2007 and is the father of twins.

He has captained the England team since August 2006, when he took over from David Beckham. The FA has declined to comment.

BBC

the gut is a twat.
To shag a m8's bird is a no no .
the two females were supposed to be close friends .
And he is England Captain .
If he had any sort of decency he would resign as captain.
I personally would never allow him to play for England again but i'm Scottish .
How the fook can Bridges and him play in same team/squad now.
Really crazy move from him if its true

I can't believe the media !! this as made front and back page headlines for 2 days now, there are people dying and starving in the world and this is what they report ffs, it's an affair, he's not the first and he wont be the last, get over it

I can't believe the media !! this as made front and back page headlines for 2 days now, there are people dying and starving in the world and this is what they report ffs, it's an affair, he's not the first and he wont be the last, get over it

Spoken like a true Chelsea fan! :Clap:

Seriously though Bronto, there's more to this than a straightforward affair. This guy has issues that call into question his suitability to be captain of his country.

Its his tackles on the pitch that are important not his tackle in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Spoken like a true Chelsea fan! :Clap:

Seriously though Bronto, there's more to this than a straightforward affair. This guy has issues that call into question his suitability to be captain of his country.

So they only just get brought up now? How long has he been captain? and no one has batted an eye until now, World Cup year tooo ffs bet its the Yanks stirring shit so we don't win..

Surely it is Vannesa that needs the gagging order?

'Vannesa, I am going to do something, don't gag'

Nara is correct. I do not think he should be captain of the England football team.

So they only just get brought up now?

No. Even before he was appointed, when the captaincy was probably between him and Ferdinand,there were debates in the press about his suitability, given his previous history of gambling, minor violence and bedroom indiscretions.

I don't question his ability as a player, but this latest incident shows that he doesn't have what it takes to be in his position.

There's another thread somewhere on the forum titled "Is John Terry Stupid?".

The answer is "yes".

It's the gutter press Bronto, they will keep fueling the fire, there will be more to come about that story. Deaths all over the world don't sell as many copies as a home made scandal.

I don't think he will be captain for much longer, whether he is pushed or asks to be stood down as captain is another thing.

btw...I think the judge made the right decision by lifting the gagging order.

He sould never have been captain in the first place the guy is a total prick!

Now the captaincy can go to either Ferdinand or Gerrard hopefully.

btw...I think the judge made the right decision by lifting the gagging order.

An excellent point. Quite apart from the Terry hysteria, there was a very important legal point at stake here.

It's interesting to note that the tabloids have concentrated on the shagging, while the qualities have been more interested in the gagging.

This is what happens when anyone gets an injunction against the press.
As soon as it's lifted: the press have a field day.
He was a fool to go to court, because it was only in the 'News of the World',
now it's in all the papers, tabloid and broadsheets.
Serve him right

He sould never have been captain in the first place the guy is a total prick!

Now the captaincy can go to either Ferdinand or Gerrard hopefully.
he might be a total prick and i agree he is, but as a footballer and a defender he is 1 of the best in the world at what he does.

his personal life should in no way affect his job.

hes a great captain for england!

Ha fooking ha look at all the morally honest people posting, It's ok to steal On Digital, or tell stupid lies to get a free Xbox controller, screwing copyright, but god forbid if you shag a tart, Terry is a football player do you really think this will affect the way he plays, just more junk to sell papers to morons who want to post on forums because they have nothing better to do.

Go raise some money for Haiti and do something positive ffs

A great captain does not knob a team-mate's bird!!
well its claimed in the original post it was his ex bird anyway, so no tie to wayne bridge at all, thats just the way you and the media are looking at it, but it does state EX of wayne bridge!

Ha fooking ha look at all the morally honest people posting, It's ok to steal On Digital, or tell stupid lies to get a free Xbox controller, screwing copyright, but god forbid if you shag a tart, Terry is a football player do you really think this will affect the way he plays, just more junk to sell papers to morons who want to post on forums because they have nothing better to do.

So are you calling everyone whos posted in this thread a moron?
Please clarify.

I may be wrong, (it does happen occasionally), but I don't think any of the posts here are making moral judgements. They're questioning his mentality rather than his morality.

Back