iPhone JB iPhone 3GS can I update firmware?

@biffo1 I have tried the snow breeze method you suggested but when I get to iTunes and press shift and restore it picks up the IPSW file but then I get an error message: The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)
Any ideas how I can get around this please?

Thanks

The error is because apple is no longer signing 5.x firmware.
You need to use tinyumbrella to fool iTunes into reading your saved SHSH blobs.
Follow this: [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

Last edited by a moderator:
The error is because apple is no longer signing 5.x firmware.
You need to use tinyumbrella to fool iTunes into reading your saved SHSH blobs.
Follow this: [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore
Do I only need to worry about baseband if I want to keep my phone unlocked? I am on a cheap plan with 3. not looking to move anyway so If that's the case I wouldn't need to bother? I thought ifaith was trying to trick iTunes into reading the SHSH blobs, or was ifaith just creating ipsw? I feel like I'm learning lots but I can't say I can demonstrate any learning yet? Thanks again Kryton.

What baseband is your phone on? If your phone is software unlocked by ultrasn0w then
You will need to preserve your baseband to beable to unlock it again.

Kryton if you stitch the shsh blobs to the ipsw creating a stiched ipsw file and you can downgrade i did this sunday night on a 3gs saved blobs i downgraded 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 the 3194 error i got 1st as i had run tinyumbrella so i had to delete the command out of windows host file , and it worked , the error in itunes is due going to the cydia host file rather than apples

never used ifaith brian.
so your saying when you stitch the blobs to the ipsw this passes the apples firmaware verification check when restoring?
thats good to know

either way the 3194 error is a contact error with the apple server like you say.

Last edited:
What baseband is your phone on? If your phone is software unlocked by ultrasn0w then
You will need to preserve your baseband to beable to unlock it again.
My baseband is 05.16.02 and my model is MC131T.
You guys have lost me, did I do something wrong and that's why I am getting the 3194 error message?

My baseband is 05.16.02 and my model is MC131T.
You guys have lost me, did I do something wrong and that's why I am getting the 3194 error message?

That baseband isnt unlockable by ultrasn0w so if your 3 sim is working in it then its either locked to the 3 network or has been factory unlocked.
in this case you dont need to worry about the baseband.

no mate you havnt done anything wrong, the 3194 error is when itunes tries to connect to the apple server but cant.
it can be a few things....firewall blocking the connection....or the host file has been altered manually or by tinyumbrella

I tried a T mobile SIM when I was in London a while back so I'm pretty sure the phone is factory unlocked. I'm not sure what I need to do to restore to 5.1.1 but it sounds as if biffo1 had same issue and got past it. Do I need to use tiny umbrella or do something else. Sorry for being so dim!

the 3194 error i got 1st as i had run tinyumbrella so i had to delete the command out of windows host file , and it worked , the error in itunes is due going to the cydia host file rather than apples
That sounds very technical, how would I achieve the same result? "delete the command out of windows host file" is almost another language to me! lol

no its not technical mate, go to c/windows/system32/drivers/etc/ u will see the tinyumbrella file,right click and delete it, right click the host file . i use notepad++ free proggy , right click and run as admin, once the host file is open you will see something like this line

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or this #127 .0.0.1 gs.apple.com

delete it save and job done

no its not technical mate, go to c/windows/system32/drivers/etc/ u will see the tinyumbrella file,right click and delete it, right click the host file . i use notepad++ free proggy , right click and run as admin, once the host file is open you will see something like this line

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or this #127 .0.0.1 gs.apple.com

delete it save and job done
I haven't used tiny umbrella so far so there would be nothing to delete. I followed the guide using ifaith and snowbreeze but when I went to restore with iTunes I got the error message. I know I'm probably missing something obvious. I will be forever in your debt if I ever get this sorted! lol

right mate, what ill do now is check the shsh blobs i have saved over the 5.1.1 fw for the 3gs i have and restore and will keep u posted and go through step by step for u

Thanks guys, I will dig out my old laptop and see what I can do. I can't even back up the iPhone any more! I feel like I get to the bottom of the problem and someone throws me a shovel! lol It's all my own doing though so I mustn't grumble! Really appreciate all the time you guys have given me, I hope I can repay somehow in the future - trouble is my skills are more psychological.

once you create the stitched ipsw file , sn0wbreeze will prompted you to turn your device off so you can put your device into a pwned dfu state, once its in that its then u open itunes up and restore , this will stop u getting any errors in itunes, im jgoing downgrade the 3gs from 5.1.1 to 5.0.1 and then back up to 5.1.1 and ill let u know how i get on

once you create the stitched ipsw file , sn0wbreeze will prompted you to turn your device off so you can put your device into a pwned dfu state, once its in that its then u open itunes up and restore , this will stop u getting any errors in itunes, im jgoing downgrade the 3gs from 5.1.1 to 5.0.1 and then back up to 5.1.1 and ill let u know how i get on
That may explain it, I'm pretty sure I had iTunes open before I went into DFU state. Typical, my laptop has now decided it needs to update so I can't get on it! So all I will need to do when the laptop is done is open snowbreeze, do as previous but wait until the iPhone is in DFU mode before opening iTunes and doing the restore?

once its created the stitched ipsw file sn0wbreeze will open the page automatically for you , ive just downgraded my iphone to 5.0.1 , so ill now go back up to 5.1.1 .

right its now in the proccess of restoring back to 5.1.1 fw , if i had another set of hands mate id video the process itve now managed both ways with the stitched ipsw file mate

Sorry mate, it must be so frustrating trying to explain things to a numpty. I have run out of brownie points with the wife so I will have to leave trying again until she goes to bed! Really appreciate all your help.

If worse comes to the worse mate you could always send the phone to me and I'll sort it.
I would only ask that you cover the postage.

Things like this can be quite daunting but once you've done it a few times it all makes sense and you will be doing it blind folded ;-)

Back