Reaction score
there has to be a stand and today it happened

Veil woman loses discrimination bid

20061019140009990002.4537be77-0028c-016dc-400cb8e1

Continuing her fight: Teacher Aishah Azmi

- Search: Aishah Azmi
- Search: Women in Islam
- Employment tribunals

A Muslim teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons has won her employment tribunal case for victimisation against the school that suspended her, but lost her claims of discrimination and harassment.

Kirklees Council suspended Aishah Azmi, 24, after she refused to remove her veil while teaching at Headfield Church of England Junior School in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.

The school said face-to-face communication was essential for Ms Azmi's job as a bilingual support worker.

The case fuelled an ongoing debate about the use of the veil and the way that the Muslim community integrates into British society.
Have your say

* Chat about the latest stories
* Join the debate on the message board

Ms Azmi was awarded £1,000 for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation. But her claims of direct and indirect discrimination, and her claim of harassment, were dismissed.

In a statement, Mrs Azmi criticised ministers who had intervened in the case and said it made her "fearful of the consequences for Muslim women in this country who want to work".

She said she was considering an appeal against the decision to dismiss three of her claims.

"It is clear that discrimination against me has taken place and I am disappointed that the Employment Tribunal has not been able to uphold that part of my claim," she said.

"I am taking the advice of my legal team at Kirklees Law Centre and will be looking to appeal against that decision. However, I am pleased that the tribunal have recognised the victimising way in which the school and the local education authority have handled this matter and the distress that has caused me."

Mrs Azmi, of Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, has said she was willing to remove her veil in front of children - but not when male colleagues were present.
MORE ON AOL: Join AOL | Chat & Community | Dating | Eleven | Entertainment | Games | Homes & Property | Horoscopes | Lifestyle | Money | Motoring | Music | News | Shopping | Sport | Travel | Video Beta | W

and its only right she lost!!!! its a fookin joke that she will now go everywhere possible to upset us and make us accept her ways, and if it allowed to happen i will be pissed!!!!!

she did go for the job interview without the veil .... wonder why that was ?????? claim l wonder

Last edited:
when she went for job interview without her veil,there must of been no men on the interview panel.

She keeps talking about her rights,what about the rights of the children in the classroom? these children are entitled to proper and effective level of communication skill development, achieved by verbal and non verbal facial communication and body language.The school acted in the interest of the most important person the PUPIL.
If she believes in her role as an assistant teacher she would put the development of her pupils first!!!!!!!!! and not herself

thats unreal go to the interview with no veil than refuse to take it of after you got thr job unreal lol

:Cheers:

thse FACTS have already been stated its just a shame that not everybody knows this fact or there would be more unease than there already is.....

a complete and utter piss take. this woman/imergrent should be told straight like it or fook off

i think u all are on drugs u people need to seriously get a life, this is not as serious as u makin out to be, what i dont get is why are you people hell bent on changing the way people wanna live there daily lives, so what if sum1s got more balls than u and stands up for there rights and makes their voiced heard, if u all have a problem go protest about it or take the muslims to court rather than spend ur life on this forum chatin absolute nonesense.

as far as imposing our way on you, you people are imposing your ways on us, i dont see any1 telling u to put the viel on but i do see people saying take the viel off, ur all a bunch of hypocrites who havnt got anything better to do, go spend sumtime with ur familys or sumthin rather than talk sh** about others.

thse FACTS have already been stated its just a shame that not everybody knows this fact or there would be more unease than there already is.....

a complete and utter piss take. this woman/imergrent should be told straight like it or fook off

i totaly agree with you on that one mate

like it or piss off

i think u all are on drugs u people need to seriously get a life, this is not as serious as u makin out to be, what i dont get is why are you people hell bent on changing the way people wanna live there daily lives, so what if sum1s got more balls than u and stands up for there rights and makes their voiced heard, if u all have a problem go protest about it or take the muslims to court rather than spend ur life on this forum chatin absolute nonesense.

as far as imposing our way on you, you people are imposing your ways on us, i dont see any1 telling u to put the viel on but i do see people saying take the viel off, ur all a bunch of hypocrites who havnt got anything better to do, go spend sumtime with ur familys or sumthin rather than talk sh** about others.

so your saying people dont have the right to free speach but you can do/say whatever the fook you like ?

i seen you posting loads on this topic so dont you

havnt got anything better to do, go spend sumtime with ur familys or sumthin rather than talk sh** about others.

as you said

can l walk straight into a mosque with my trainers on singing come by are my lord , dont thinks so , but its my right as u say

so your saying people dont have the right to free speach but you can do/say whatever the fook you like ?

i seen you posting loads on this topic so dont you

as you said

yeh iv spent more time then i wud hav liked only cuz of silly and offensive remarks made toward my community and religion which i cant just let go by

as far as free speech, i dont think any1 in there right mind calls abusing others as free speech, but maybe ignorant people do who wanna create confusion and division

can somebody tell me what an 'imergrent' is I'm proper curious ;)

Although human migration has existed for hundreds of thousands of years, immigration in the modern sense refers to movement of people from one nation-state to another but in england you can take the piss, where they are not citizens. Immigration implies long-term permanent residence by the immigrants: tourists and short-term visitors are not considered immigrants. However, seasonal labour migration (typically for periods of less than a year) is often treated as a form of immigration. The global volume of immigration is high in absolute terms, but low in relative terms. The UN estimated 190 million international migrants in 2005, about 3 percent of global population. The other 97 percent still live in the state in which they were born, or its successor state.

The modern idea of immigration is related to the development--especially in the 19th century--of nation-states with clear citizenship criteria, passports, permanent border controls, and nationality law. Citizenship of a nation-state confers an inalienable right of residence in that state, but residence of immigrants is subject to conditions set by immigration law. Immigration without official approval can be a crime under these laws, and even if it is not defined as a crime, they usually provide for the detention of illegal immigrants. The nation-state also made immigration a political issue: by definition it is the homeland of a nation defined by shared ethnicity and/or culture, and in most cases immigrants have a different ethnicity and culture. This has led to social tensions, xenophobia, and conflicts about national identity, in many developed countries.

yeh iv spent more time then i wud hav liked only cuz of silly and offensive remarks made toward my community and religion which i cant just let go by

as far as free speech, i dont think any1 in there right mind calls abusing others as free speech, but maybe ignorant people do who wanna create confusion and division

lol your busing others as "free speech" ive seen loads of your posts

now i was wainting for a muslim to reply and its just the kind of selfish fookin attitude i expected...

why are we all on drugs??? cause we are makin a stand?? its not a bad its made out to be?? are U on drugs?
look eeyzk weather u think were chatting bollox is of no conciquence. the mood of britain at the moment says it all. to teach with a veil on is beyond comon sence and its you and ur backward veiws that will cause more and more brits to get pissed off. and for your info if this woman goes to the europen court i WILL do something about it and i WILL vote bnp next election. i have stated b4 i aint recist and i dont realy agree with them partys but fook me the selfish attitude of the muslim comunity will leave me no choice......

can l walk straight into a mosque with my trainers on singing come by are my lord , dont thinks so , but its my right as u say

whats walking into a mosque gota do anything with ur rights, u definetley are on sum strong shit !!!

I'm with eeyzka (not against anyone)! Somebody point out to me one thing he's said that is bad...

now i was wainting for a muslim to reply and its just the kind of selfish fookin attitude i expected...

why are we all on drugs??? cause we are makin a stand?? its not a bad its made out to be?? are U on drugs?
look eeyzk weather u think were chatting bollox is of no conciquence. the mood of britain at the moment says it all. to teach with a veil on is beyond comon sence and its you and ur backward veiws that will cause more and more brits to get pissed off. and for your info if this woman goes to the europen court i WILL do something about it and i WILL vote bnp next election. i have stated b4 i aint recist and i dont realy agree with them partys but fook me the selfish attitude of the muslim comunity will leave me no choice......

go ahead m8 vote for whoever u want, i aint stoppin u from doing what u wanna do why u stopppin me from doing what i wanna do ?????

Back