Is this correct?

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sorry if this thread is not in the correct place, you see ive tried to place it but my issues could have been placed in a few. My problem is my mate has given me his old mx box which stopped working so I have tried to reset it. Basicly I want to update it so I can put kodi on it and not the software which was put on it ie. streamnet. I cant seem to get to the android os so no web browser function. I have an old android os but want to update it first before I install kodi 14 arm version. I have kodi on my pc and understand the urls and file managers etc but the box will not access the internet and like I said I cant seem to upgrade android. Does anyone have any idea firstly what forum I should be in? and secondly maybe how to overcome my issues.

greatfully appreciated.

How to quickly reset your android smart tv box to its original settings to start fresh again and completely clean your box.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Ive watched this and cant seem to get into the android os. all I can access is the xbmc. Is there a hidden menu on this box so I can get into android and access browser etc? Ive done the reset which involved the AV socket and wiped factory data but nothing seemed to happen it just rebooted as normal with all the old stuff built in to an old version of xbmc.
regards

Ive watched this and cant seem to get into the android os. all I can access is the xbmc. Is there a hidden menu on this box so I can get into android and access browser etc? Ive done the reset which involved the AV socket and wiped factory data but nothing seemed to happen it just rebooted as normal with all the old stuff built in to an old version of xbmc.
regards

I don't know about those boxes but they should all be the same.

do you get a home page like this when you first turn it on

Attachments

• home page.png
    home page.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 2
i tried to update my mx box to newer firmware,after tryin several firmware
expecting it to get it update,ive come to conclusion that there is no updated firmware
so i d/loaded latest(thats stabliest for this box) version of kodi and installed that onto my mx box
just added the addons i wanted and away you go

just a word of warning if you do try another f/ware etc make sure you back up the remote control
config file,cos when you start messing with other f/ware your remote wont work

the box is a small black thing with MX logo on top. I don't get a screen like the pic on boot, a logo did appear on boot saying streamboxtv.net or something but now I have installed this file ( MX_LINUX_V0.03-G18REF_MX2REF-Update.zip)from the dload section via the toothpick reset and have just xbmc booting up. is it just a case of installing the repos etc now is what im thinking to get this box up and running. I was hoping to get android os running on it as well though. the remote is still working fine with this file. How did you install kodi on your box? I cant get a browser on the box and there is no option to install kodi on the toothpick reset options unless Im thinking I dload the kodi arm 14.whatever to a usb and then install it via toothpick perhaps.

you can d/load kodi via here Downloads | Kodi
make sure you get android apk arm file
transfer onto usb pen and install it from the linux firmware what is on the box
if i was you i be keepin it on linux rather then android it uses less cpu then android
and seems faster to me

you might have kodi in the linux firmware (or it might be xbmc) look for the logo

edit..... HOW-TO:Install Kodi for Android - Kodi

another edit... you might need the linux version not the android cos i forgot
you put linux f/ware on

Last edited:
im going to give it a whirl and will update you on my progress later. thanks for your help all.

edit: I have realised that the box has the android recovery system. yet it is also running Linux firmware. I cant seem to find a link on that site for kodi for Linux its just says guide and help links. I will be reading them however as a time saver any ideas on how I get kodi for Linux onto a usb stick so I can update via android recovery toothpick option?

Last edited:
If you can find the correct firmware for the box you can install it using the toothpick method or the android recovery method,but you need the right firmware first

Thanks all for your help. Just a note to end the thread with what I did to resolve my issue, just in case anyone else searches threads for similar problem.

Firstly I Installed droidbox 4.4.2 via the toothpick method and then that got me to the menus like the picture above. then I installed kodi 15.1 on that through the internet browser available through the new droidbox os.

So I guess what im saying is I removed the Linux based system with android in a nutshell. Being a novice with computers etc I found it to be the best option as I barely understand windows as it is. It all works fine, installed the relevant repository's through kodi afterwards following youtube vids etc.

ps the version of droidbox came with a built in app that had all the tv chans etc sly spts and moves etc ready and waiting without using kodi.

And now im moving on to another section of this great website to try and understand turning my router into a repeater... for a better signal in the bedroom so I don't have to bang the wife I can just watch movies in hd quality ;)

thanks again all.

Back