is that virgin superhub still crap ?

P33 RRV

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have been told i can get one for free, i wasnt gonna bother but i like the idea of one unit instead of twp but is it still rubbish ???

you probably going to get a mixed response tbh .....

mine is working fine,and i have never had any problems with the hub itself. ive had it for 6 months.

i can get a good signal anywhere in my house. and can connect a number of devises without any problems too .....

same here mine has been fine only had to reboot it once since i have had it, and that was due to my home plugs not connecting correctly.

mine also fine

has modem only option now so you can use your own router if you want

its a Gb switch too

I got one after taking them up on an offer to to go 60mb (this includes the double your speed, so got that early for my region) as the person said eariler you will get a mixed response.
It will depend on what router you are going from, if its an old one the superhub will probably beat it hands down, the superhub is a good router from the tests I've run but it couldn't beat my existing one, most people will like what they get.
The deciding factor for me was my existing router has 5GHz connection as well as the original 2.4GHz, a scan with inSSIDer showed the traffic in my location, and my router is the only one currently using the upper bandwidth.
Testing across several types of machine with the superhub and my router the hub came second every time but not by much , but when using the 5GHz range this had a significant step up from both of them, hence my superhub is now set to modem only! (Speedtest today on my wireless laptop 63mb)

Note virgin engineers have only been carrying the new superhub as a replacement for any that go faulty since the turn of the year, I have been told, so any that fail will get the superhub as a free replacement.

Last edited:
i have had issues but its been fine for a while now. the only thing that still botheres me is that i have to re sync my wireless printer everytime i want to use it.

I've had mine for 6 months or so too. Had no problems really, it's rebooted itself a couple of times.

Always get 98% download speed overnight (constant 104meg)

Works as it should, wireless devices work fine no range issues.

I would like to be able to setup opendns and dyndns in the router itself but I do it on my PC and it's fine everything just works using the opendns and dyndns updater clients, everything is forwarded where it should be.

Only had it a week, upgraded from the smaller virgin hub which was terrible, have to say the wireless side for me is crap! I live in a bog standered 70's semi, the superhub is in the box room upstairs and I cant get full strength wireless in the living room almost below! I can hardly get any signal in the dining room lol.. My old Buffalo router could give me a signal at the bottom of the garden!!

Been playing about with different channels but cant get it any better but at least its not dropping out completely like the old hub..

Mine is nice and fast but it reboots randomly every day atleast 10 times. Virgin have had guys out and can find nothing wrong but they can see the logs and they know that it is happening but the appear unable to do anything about it. I've learned to live with it but I'd go back to my old Ambit 256 in a jiffy if I had the option.

I use mine in modem only mode still with the dlink router I got from them years ago!

Ive generally not had many issues with mine in the 6 months I've had it it's rebooted itself a few times but just recently the wireless performance has been getting worse, signal strength is the same but sometimes all my wireless devices will have no Internet connection and I'll either have to keep reconnecting each device or reboot the router

Mine is shite keeps loseing wireless and takes a min of 20mins to reconnect after a restarting the router, Have had virgin out and was told there is a new superhub coming out in a few weeks and he will ring me when they have them to come and fit it for me, well its been 3 weeks now so shouldnt be long now but we are talking about virgin so could be another 3 years yet lol

Ive generally not had many issues with mine in the 6 months I've had it it's rebooted itself a few times but just recently the wireless performance has been getting worse, signal strength is the same but sometimes all my wireless devices will have no Internet connection and I'll either have to keep reconnecting each device or reboot the router

Download inSSIDer and check out your wi-fi networks around you, I noticed that my wi-fi dropped and was gutted to find that some one had set there new network up on MY channel! lol...so they were bleeding over on my existing wi-fi, as more and more networks become available then it'll be a tough world to compete against for channels and speeds...I'm thinking they should have released a wi-fi router with 100 or a 10000 channels....probably one will come out when they realise that there running out.

There's all ready 12 networks around me......

some times we jump to blame the ISP or the hardware, think outside the box and see what's going on around you....

If you have an android, then get "wi-fi analytics" does the job!

Wi-Fi-Analytics-Tool-for-Android.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine delivered on Friday. Not connected it up yet. Fingers crossed its not a pile of crap like others have said

be positive man, lots of people say there mint and have had no issues what so ever.! have the faith.

I've got 'WiFi Analyzer' for the iPhone too, spot on when at a mates house trying to diagnose problems, network channels is always the first thing to check

had mine for 4 weeks now in modem only mode and so far so good.

New firmware coming for this soon, anyone that wants to sign up to beta test the firmware in the next 2-3 weeks can register there interest through the virgin media forums

aye it should be here today so i will give it a shot over the weekend

had mine installed tuesday so far its good but wireless signal is total pants, my g/f has to go to the room where the superhub is sitting to get any signal on laptop/phone , my media stremer just laughs at me when i connect that to it lol think its time to stick it in modem mode & buy a router

Back