Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Panasonic Viera plasma still the right choice

Nelly

Member ++
I have landed on my feet and have got £1300.00 to spend on a new TV (but it has to be from Comet), went in to the shop today and the salesman guided me to a new Panasonic Viera plasma TX-P42G20B. I am happy with the 42" as my last TV was a 42" lcd (which has gone belly up after 2y10m) and this is the right size for the room its in.

I thought LED would be the way to go but he says this Panasonic is the kiddie to have (been in the shop 5 days and includes the new freeview hd receiver as well as freesat), was going to ask for advice on here anyway but now I have read Munkeys post about these TV’s I am really keen for some advice. I will be using it to watch some sport, also movies and I will let junior use it for his ps3 finally don’t have sly yet but probably will soon. So I know you wont let me down is this the TV to go for or should I look else where?

If you have that much money to spend Id go for at least a 50 inch plasma with free-sat ?

Either go for a large 60inch plasma basic or a 50inch with free-sat etc

With that much money take your pick shame its commet though there ripping twats ?

ide agree with plasma mate

rs2000 got a panny and the functions he has on his compared to mine.. well

there isint any

i have an lg42pg500 (iirc) cost me 700 with Home theatre kit

wickid picture and full control of the picture

i would suggest if you looking for freesat get one with freesat HD included

but still look at each tv.. ask to look at the differnt settings and take it off " VIVID" deafult setting

see what your happy with

I've never seen a better picture than a properly fettled Viera Plasma.

With both Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, that one would seem to be the dog's danglies.

I've never heard a Comet salesman give good advice before, but this could be a first.

The two sets that DINGELBERRY has linked to in the above post are HD ready, not full 1080p

Last edited:
I've never seen a better picture than a properly fettled Viera Plasma.

With both Freeview HD and Freesat HD tuners, that one would seem to be the dog's danglies.

I've never heard a Comet salesman give good advice before, but this could be a first.

The two sets that DINGELBERRY has linked to in the above post are HD ready, not full 1080p

Good point nara I did not see there were not full HD, but be honest who cares How oftern do you see the difference ???

I do admitt though I got 2 fifty inch full LG HD plasmas from currys for the same price of that 42 inch viera ?

What is viera a easy link up remote system and find etc ?

dont all LG plasmas have a simular set up ?

Im not being sarcastic I honestly dont know what viera is.

After the recent black levels fiasco, Panasonic have fallen in my eyes, but I guess it we have to be practical and ask which electronics companies market their products ethically. Panasonic are still the market leader in terms of black level and more importantly scaling video.

If it were my money and the TV was for all round use (watching a mixture of SD & HD broadcast signals) I'd opt for the TX-P50X10B.

If the TV is going to be used for mainly watching HD content like BR and watching a HD broadcast signal you can choose any Panasonic with a built in Freesat HD tuner in order to eliminate clutter with boxes and cables.

Forget all that Full HD or HD Ready lark unless you aim to really watch a lot of HD content. I have two PJ's, one is HD Ready and the other Full HD, you couldn't tell the difference between the two on 8' wide screens.

At £700 the 50" P50X10B seems like decent value.

Thanks for the advice/ help, it looks like Panasonic and/ or Plasma still has a place in the big scheme of things.:Clap:

50” may be a tad big for the space it has to fill and the 2 TV’s was a nice idea, finally the Sony has quality about it but it is 50 Hz. So it looks like the one I mentioned is going to fit the bill well for me it has most if not all of the features you have mentioned, including a chance to get the first HD signals into my house (only means at present is the ps3) avoiding the extra cost for a freesat set up as an extra, apart from the dish, LNB and install of course, on this point I have seen a national service on the web they offer a range of options should I go for a single or the quad now or will sly want to use there own dish/ LNB if I do subscribe to them in the future?

This leaves me a good chunk to go towards something else, I don’t usually recommend product insurance as it tends to be a bit of a rip-off but probably will put the extra cash towards insurance for the TV, after advice from a repair man both of my last 2 TV’s have failed within the insurance cover and were beyond repair (parts not available), hence the money to spend now.

Next stop is to try and understand more about calibration of these units, I have been reading Munkeys guide time & again, I am on the lookout for DVE essentials already, what’s with the first 200hrs? And what settings do I choose for this period if not the optimal?

Thanks again Neorage Nara & Munkey for the feedback on Panasonics.

Cheers Nelly:Cheers:

Next stop is to try and understand more about calibration of these units, I have been reading Munkeys guide time & again, I am on the lookout for DVE essentials already, what’s with the first 200hrs? And what settings do I choose for this period if not the optimal?

Soz Nelly, completely missed the part in your post about the 42"er. I find 42" is the sweetspot for broadcast signals. My front room TV is a 42" along with the one I'm going to be using in my office.

At £1099 it does feel a tad steep just because it has a built in Freesat tuner and is 1080p compatible. If it were my choice I'd opt for the TX-42X10B at only £599, you'll never tell the difference between the two sets on HD material. Spend the extra cash on upgrading your AV gear, you'll have a much nicer all round system. Either way whatever you buy, best of luck.

The 200 hrs allows for the panel to bed in and colours to settle down. If you calibrate at 0 hours you'll end up calibrating again at 200 hours as all the colours will be off. If you're having trouble finding the DVE disc drop me a PM and we'll try and sort something out.

So far as insurance goes I'm none too keen on it. If a £600 TV breaks after a few years it won't hurt, a £1100 TV OTOH will hurt like mad!

The 200 hrs allows for the panel to bed in and colours to settle down. If you calibrate at 0 hours you'll end up calibrating again at 200 hours as all the colours will be off. If you're having trouble finding the DVE disc drop me a PM and we'll try and sort something out.

So far as insurance goes I'm none too keen on it. If a £600 TV breaks after a few years it won't hurt, a £1100 TV OTOH will hurt like mad!

Got time to go have another look before my giftcard arrives so still have time to finally decide which model its going to be.

Thanks for the offer with the DVE tried to get hold of it but didnt come to anything best ive found so far is new from play.com £12.00, some ripoff merchant on flea bay wants £20.00!

I have found with the insurance both times my TV has failed (genuine yes really) within the cover period so for the lasy 8 years I have had a new unit of better quality with no cost to me as each time the unit cost less and the remainder takes care of the cover, but as i said I have only taken cover on TV's.

Well I don't think you can go to far wrong with Panasonics, I have a Panasonic TX-P37X10B 37-inch Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV with Freeview" for £440 the picture is great and what a price.

DD

Hi there all thanks for the advice.:Clap:

Got myself a new toy,:banana: I did get the Panasonic Viera plasma TX-P42G20B in the end. Yes it came in a little higher than some of the TV's mentioned but it did come with a few extras I am going to use, 4hdmi's, usb hard drive as a recorder, media server playback over home network and the new low energy ratings etc. Must say it is fantastic the step up from my old (wasn’t yet 3yr old) LCD I cannot believe, its so much better in every way.

Now clocking up those first 200hrs, then going to get myself over to Munkeys guide to sort out the calibration.

Hi there all thanks for the advice.:Clap:

Got myself a new toy,:banana: I did get the Panasonic Viera plasma TX-P42G20B in the end. Yes it came in a little higher than some of the TV's mentioned but it did come with a few extras I am going to use, 4hdmi's, usb hard drive as a recorder, media server playback over home network and the new low energy ratings etc. Must say it is fantastic the step up from my old (wasn’t yet 3yr old) LCD I cannot believe, its so much better in every way.

Now clocking up those first 200hrs, then going to get myself over to Munkeys guide to sort out the calibration.

just about to buy one of these m8, did you make the right choice and shall i get one..?....

I would more than recommend this tv, I have been so impressed by the quality, but as always and especially with all the new tv’s being launched ready for the world cup (I believe more tv’s are sold at this time than any other), it may pay to see what else is just being launched, see the adverts between the footie games.

Back