is it worth paying for a jail broken apple tv on fleebay ?

squig007

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi looking at ebay you can get one for around 180 quid - but is it worth it what apps are on a jail broken machine. i know of onechannel but whats all the fuss about ??

squig007

i wouldn't pay 180 for an apple tv mate i would be looking at a acer revo
the apps on the jailbroken apple tv are basiclly XBMC and its addons
this can be run on any pc so i suggest you load it on a pc and have a play first
if you still want an apple tv i have one i can sell ye a bit cheaper then the 180

does the acer revo do the same things as an apple tv ? does it have the movie apps and spiorts and adult apps and the usa cable channels etc ..

any thing that can run xbmc will have all the addons used my the apple tv oh exept android devices as the addons wont work at the moment
the revo will let you do everything the apple tv will and a little more as its a full windows pc
the apple tv is good for just watching shows and so on but defo not worth £180
at max £150 and thats still leaving plenty of profit for the seller

All jailbreaking does to the Apple TV is allow XMBC to be installed.

The apps u want, are available to XBMC which can be install on loads of devices. A Revo is just a small form factor PC that u then put XBMC on then get the apps you want installed.

no is the answer the actual ATV2 was less than 100 quid the greedy Bast***ds upped the price 300% i intend hanging on

even at the £100 a new one costs the acer revo still offers better value unless you have a house full of apple stuff already

so what actual acer revo model do you guys recommend then - and is it easy to install xbmc on to it , with xbmc on will i get the oncechannel etc ??

Acer is just a PC. You can either put Windows or Linux on it, or there's a XBMC only build , all available here : Downloads | XBMC

Once u have XBMC running, you then add the channels/apps you want

right but does acer plug inot your tv like apple tv -with hdmi leads etc (sorry to sound thick here )

I have a Aver Revo, it has HDMI output and wifi, great machine for XBMC. I've disconencted my'n now and I use it as a normal PC because I thought it was overkill to just use it for XBMC. I now have a Raspberry PI running RaspXBMC instead cheap and cheerful fanless so it;s silent, very low power usage uses a mobile phone charger... It doesnt have WiFi though used a wired connection. BUt for 35 quid..cant be beaten.

Back