is it possible to flash an image with just a crossover cable?

deano831

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi peeps,what it is, i was at my grans today and discovered she had a dreambox 500clone,she was telling me that when the k*ys roll she has to take the box to the person she bought it from and gets charged a tenner for the c**t to put the k*ys in, now im a total neebie and novice when it comes to the box, and the pc for that matter, but last month to my surprise i managed to fix my box by putting the new rom7,10 and 11 fixes,my box already had digitalworlds 2.1 image on it,hence me not needing to flash a new image to my box, all i done was use a crossover cable and dream up to fix my box,i am not sure what image is on my grans box but it is working fine,so what i wanted to do for her was put the new rom7,10 and 11 fixes onto her box and save her some money and was just wondering if it was worth flashing a new image to her box and if it can be done with just a crossover cable? or would i just be better putting the new roms in?? thanks in advance people, i feel like iv just wrote a chapter for a fookin book here lol

Last edited:
Lol deano i remember you sorting yours. Just do your grans the same way as you done yours m8. It should be fine. And yes you can flash with just a crossover cable,
You only need a null modem if you need to flash the firmware back on.

Lol deano i remember you sorting yours. Just do your grans the same way as you done yours m8. It should be fine. And yes you can flash with just a crossover cable,
You only need a null modem if you need to flash the firmware back on.

pmsl that was brain damage when i was trying to fix mine,it took me about two months to do it,and the best of was it was done in less than five minutes lol, cheers for replying ianb,so do you think i should just leave the image she already has on mate and just put the new roms on it?cheers mate.
oh am i right in saying the new roms go into /var/k*ys?? cheers

Last edited:
Just take a backup image from your box,then flash it on.

as i say mate am a total novice with the boxes, and my pc for that matter,thats actually a good idea but i just dont want to fook her box up,she'd be lost without it,if i managed to do that would that mean that iv got everything from mine and transferred it to hers so then they would both be identical? cause some of her channels are all mixed up an is a wee bit of a mess, cheers

as i say mate am a total novice with the boxes, and my pc for that matter,thats actually a good idea but i just dont want to fook her box up,she'd be lost without it,if i managed to do that would that mean that iv got everything from mine and transferred it to hers so then they would both be identical? cause some of her channels are all mixed up an is a wee bit of a mess, cheers

yes m8 then they would both be identical

yes m8 then they would both be identical

cheers mate,ok so now iv got to sus out how the fook i do this (back up my image and flash to her box) am already reading people an have been for last half hour,cheers

cheers mate,ok so now iv got to sus out how the fook i do this (back up my image and flash to her box) am already reading people an have been for last half hour,cheers

u can use flash wizard pro to do a backup of the DW image, does it in a couple of mins, if ur usin a modem u need a patch cable or pc direct to box use a crossover cable, in flash wiz pro 5.2 put in ip add of box in config & utilities and go to install a firmware section and hit flash image backup, rename it somethin like my_backup and save to pc, to flash to another box click on yellow folder above where it says flash image backup, pick ur image and sit back, hope this helps u m8

u can use flash wizard pro to do a backup of the DW image, does it in a couple of mins, if ur usin a modem u need a patch cable or pc direct to box use a crossover cable, in flash wiz pro 5.2 put in ip add of box in config & utilities and go to install a firmware section and hit flash image backup, rename it somethin like my_backup and save to pc, to flash to another box click on yellow folder above where it says flash image backup, pick ur image and sit back, hope this helps u m8

hi red devil,iv only got a crossover cable anyway mate,thats how i managed to put the new roms onto my own box,an that took me about 2 months to sus that out,and i done it with dcc,my grans box is getting droped of tomorrow and i told her she would have it back within a few hours,hence me trying to sus it out now,iv got flashfxp and dcc is it possible to use either one of them to do the trick? this is probably a stupid question but bare with me,with my image backed up (if i can manage it) and then put onto my grans box,does that mean i wouldnt have to put the new roms onto her box?? i am a total novice,cheers mate and to everyone else who has replyed

Here is a easy method:
On your PC click Start.
then click Run & type in
Telnet 192.168.x.x
(change this to the IP of the Dreambox)

It will then ask you for your username and password, which is usually root/dreambox

Once connected type..
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /var/tmp/backup.img

....to make a backup which will be stored in your tmp directory, simply copy it from here onto your PC,

To put the image onto your grannys Dreambox, FTP the image into the tmp directory then connect to the Dreambox via Telnet as described previously.

Once connected type...
cd /var/tmp
switches to the tmp directory.
eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3
this erases current image and copies backup.img to the correct place.
Reboots Dreambox

hi there red devil,after playing about with a few different ways of doing it,i ended up doing it the way you suggested,just finished doing it and the box is on its way back to my grans,so will just need to wait for the k*ys to roll to find out if it has worked, The only thing is when i reboot my box i get a image of ''flashwizard pro written up the left hand side of my screen,and then along the top it says dm500 flashimage 2.6.9'' Is this normal do you know or anyone else for that matter???? cheers mate and thanks to everyone else for their help,very much appreciated guys

hi there red devil,after playing about with a few different ways of doing it,i ended up doing it the way you suggested,just finished doing it and the box is on its way back to my grans,so will just need to wait for the k*ys to roll to find out if it has worked, The only thing is when i reboot my box i get a image of ''flashwizard pro written up the left hand side of my screen,and then along the top it says dm500 flashimage 2.6.9'' Is this normal do you know or anyone else for that matter???? cheers mate and thanks to everyone else for their help,very much appreciated guys

well done good to see ur up and runnin & welcome to the addictive world of dreamboxes, the flash wiz pro on startup is nothin to worry about m8 it can be removed if u dont want it, if u made a backup of ur image and flashed it to ur grans db its a mirror image of ur own and will AU wen keys change, or if they change the keyroll method like they did b4 xmas none will AU so u will have to fix ur own, make a backup and flash ur grans db, hope this makes some sense to u, keep a check on all threads and u will learn lots, there is always someone to help u

Back