IPTV Forum

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It was requested that we add an IPTV section.

So you are in it :)

I have to admit I do not know much about it apart from netflix etc... but would be good discuss this more in depth maybe.

Here is some information from the web.

--------------------------------------

1. IPTV stands for Internet Protocol Television, which means you will be able to connect a box to your broadband Internet connection and receive TV channels on your regular television set.

2. You will have to subscribe to IPTV services at an additional cost or via a service package like NetFlix which most cable companies offer now.

3. IPTV will offer even more channels and you will be able to custom pick the channels that you want to receive to your set top box.

4. IPTV will be offered by your telephone or cable company and will most likely offer addition features or services such as VOIP (Voice Over IP) telephone service and a DVR (Digital Video Recorder).

5. IPTV will offer you the ability to use your mobile phone to record your favorite shows. You could call or text message your box and have it record Desperate Housewives while you're out shopping and can't make it home in time. It will be the ultimate in time-shifting devices.

6. IPTV allows for 2-way communication between the program and the user. Say you’re watching Food Channel host Gordon Ramsey live. You could use your remote or keyboard to type her a fan letter or a cooking tip that she could read live on-air.

7. IPTV can help move PC-centric features over to your TV. You could be watching BET’s 106 and Park and get an IM from your girlfriend or see who is calling you with on-screen caller ID.

8. IPTV is not video on the web. Video on the Internet can be jerky, slow, grainy, and has to re-buffer a lot. IPTV will be as good as television and in some instances will be of HD quality.

Last edited:
could be a good addition to forum

as this is the future for viewing

could be a good addition to forum

as this is the future for viewing

Good job we got in started lol... better late than never :)

But you are right everything maybe going IPTV sooner or later!

Mick

if you have a minimum 3mb download speed you be fine depending on services used

stuck here with bt copped crap average download speed 10mb

So I have 6 Mb download speed when its not being throttled at certain times of the day then it slows down. If I try to watch a youtube video or stream an online footie match it just buffers like fook

You need to change your ISP then.

(TT)

So I have 6 Mb download speed when its not being throttled at certain times of the day then it slows down. If I try to watch a youtube video or stream an online footie match it just buffers like fook

Suppose the video you're streaming is one hour long, and the file size for that video is 6 GB. While a broadband connection of up to 10 Mbps lets you easily stream a lot of video content online, you'll want 15 Mbps or more for this six-gigabyte HD video. Here's a quick look at the math:
Approximate megabytes: 6 GB = 6,144 MB (1 GB = 1024 MB)
Approximate megabits: 6,144 MB = 49,152 Mb (1 byte = 8 bits)
Number of seconds per hour calculation: 60 x 60 = 3,600
Megabits per hour calculation: 49,152 / 3,600 = 13.65 Mbps
When you're streaming HD content, also consider whether the connection jumps over a wireless router. If so, note that the connection speed could drop over the connection if the WiFi standard isn't fast enough. You'll want to avoid slower 802.11b connections, and the newest 802.11n is the ideal choice to keep up with faster broadband services.

Ive found numerous links to IPTV streams but nothing seems to last\stay up for long, am I being a plonker or is this just the way it is? Ive got a few addons within my XBMC htpc but again nothing is of good quality or always available.

Cheers

availability not a given mate

someone gotta up what you looking for

xbmc with few addons is hard to beat for free

good choice to pick from

Back