Internet Explorer 8

nara

Who?
VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to hear nothing but bad reports, so I've resisted Microsoft's attempts to get me to install it.

Are there any positives?

Works better than Firefox 3.5.3 for me. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

One problem I seem to have is if I do a goole search I cannot see any of googles sponsored links, ie: if I click on one all I get is a blank page with "done" at the bottom, other than that it's pretty good

My old da wasn't liking Firefox after I rebuilt his machine so I put IE8 on for him & he's very happy with it. Firefox still edges it for me but it's a damn sight closer than previous matchups.
HH.

I think its probably one of their better attempts. Got fed up with firefox, far too slow and buggy. Moved To IE8 and not looked back since

I done a quick test on IE8 and FF and with 4 tabs open on the same page:
IE8 - Had 4 different processes running with a total of 120,056K
FF - Had 1 process running with a total of 80,644

All had the same page opened, so basically if you do not have much RAM FF is the one to go for, if you like your browser to open multiple processes of itself and use more RAM then IE8 is for you.

Personally I use Opera, only opens 1 process but uses the most RAM.....

:)

Never really been an explorer fan as i always thought it had kak security,performance and it was as exciting as flour with its drab looks.
After reading this thread i thought i would give it a whirl!
It has improved in performance by a huge amount but i still don't like it but if firefox continues to go downhill with every update then i will have to look around.

are there any adblockers for IE8 like the firefox addons as i have been using firefox for many years but it is getting slower on some websites now and i am trying IE8 on vista but the adverts are very annoying

edogg

are there any adblockers for IE8 like the firefox addons as i have been using firefox for many years but it is getting slower on some websites now and i am trying IE8 on vista but the adverts are very annoying

edogg

i run it with the built in ad blocker and never had a issue. Also checked it with Browser Security Test and its the 1st IE I have used that passed all tests.

IE8+Win7=Very fast browser (tonks FF for speed)

But until I can get most of my FF plug-ins with working equivalents in IE then I will still use FF.

'IE AdBlock' seems to do the trick and can be updated with new blacklists,but like many plugins no 64bit :(

Last edited:
I installed opera yesterday and i wish i had done it ages ago, its mega.
Smooth as silk and goes like a bullet and puts rings round firefox and i was a huge firefox fan.
Its got just enough toys to play with and it reminds me of earlier versions of firefox.
Worth a go guys.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Opera_program_4345.html

I have been using opera for years just cant leave it for other browser`s

IE 8's a nifty browser -with lots of cool features - Internet Explorer 8: Features

If you decide to give it a go, I suggest downloading it from Internet Explorer 8 - Browser for the Better because 8 meals are donated for every complete download and installation of IE 8 from the Browser for The Better website. And 16 meals are donated for every user upgrading from IE 6!

edogg, IE 8's InPrivate Filtering feature is what you're looking for. Read more about it at Internet Explorer 8 Readiness Toolkit

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

Sure thing. Hope you're enjoying surfing with IE 8.

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

Back