Instead of an Acer Aspire Revo RL70?

Clinkers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going to buy myself an Acer Aspire Revo RL70 as a prsent for being off the cigarettes for 3 months. I was going to get it from eBuyer for £189, but they wont sell it to me cos they cant check my Visa card from Ireland. Next best price is £250 on ebay, but that €325, and too much for me.

Whats the best alternative? Are the Android media boxes any use? I want a media player that will

Built in wifi (and/or ethernet would be nice)
Support spdif output
decode Dolby DTS (my WDTV doesnt, pain in the arse having to re-encode mkv's)
HDMI output
MOST IMPORTANT I want to install XBMC and Navi-x

All advice appreciated!

what about building a mini itx machine
a good itx board that will do all your needs can be had from about £50 up
and then memory ,hd and case and your done

also cant you not pay with paypal
Its a Visa Debit card, secured with PayPal, but cos my address (and the card address) is Ireland, they say they cant verify it. Works fine for anything else I've gotten from UK. For example, last night I bought juice, batteries and a charger from VapeEscape with the same card, go my email today confirming that order is completed and on the way in the post already.

Considering that most places are advertising them for about £300, I think they made a booboo on the price and are trying not to sell at the web-price!

Dont fancy building a PC tbh: just liked the idea of getting the nettop, plugging it in and off I go, plus I can have it installed in a few minutes: if herself sees me with MORE PC bits and bobs, she'll kill me!

Last edited:
Ebuyer no longer have a RL70 for £189. It could be they accidently had the RL70 with the bluray drive for the price of the RL70 with no optical drive, but they also have first-come-first-served and/or time limited offers.

Dabs have the RL70 with no optical drive for just over £200: http://www.dabs.com/products/acer-rl70-nettop-amd-dc-e450-3gb-320gb-sharedno-opt-usb-kb-m-wifi-8752.html
Thanks little_pob, forgot about Dabs. Got it from them for €270 (when they have itin stock!)

what about building a mini itx machine
a good itx board that will do all your needs can be had from about £50 up
and then memory ,hd and case and your done

Hi m8,

have you got any good links for these boards please? Just about giving up with my PI

Thanks

My Pi keeps getting better :)

What problems you having?

Still finding slow to go through menus in XBMC, forever to load up titles in Icefilms, that's if it does not crash. What version of XBMC you got running on yours?

Thanks

Just had a look at this: yup, AMD Fusion 350 built in. Nice idea isn't it? don't know how much Welly you'd get out of that chip but as a media centre it looks ideal. I just couldn't be arsed building a PC (and troubleshooting the damn thing) again!

there is better itx boards about but its all down to what you want to spend

80 watt psu will run that easy unless your using 3.5 inch hd and full size bluray
if your using full size drives then about 120 watt

i have ran an itx board with 1 gb memory and laptop drive on a 60 watt psu

Still finding slow to go through menus in XBMC, forever to load up titles in Icefilms, that's if it does not crash. What version of XBMC you got running on yours?

Thanks

Try quartz it was developed for the atv2 so you should get alot faster menu, ice films well if its taking for ever to load titles then I would look at your internet speed? all it does initially is give metadata for each one then fetches more data when you select the movie..

Failing that let me know how much you want for the PI :)

HI All,

Finally got my Revo 70: looks great, until I switch it on!

I got a copy (legit!) of Win7 Ultimate, so I deleted the linux thingy that came preinstalled, installed Win7, but it wont change from Standard VGA display 640 x 480. Downloaded all the driver from Acer, but when I try to install the graphics driver (Catalyst?), the click to continue buttion is off the bottom of the tv screen so I can't click on it! I downloaded and flashed the BIOS as well, and have m new wireless keyboard and mouse (that I had to buy seperately) intalled and working fine.

Can anyone post me a link to the correct driver, please? From the Windows info screen, the chip and graphics chip are combined, so do I need to update the graphics driver or is there a different BIOS that I need?

So frustrating, a lovely shiny new toy and it wont work properly!

Thanks in advance

Clinkers

HI All,

Finally got my Revo 70: looks great, until I switch it on!

I got a copy (legit!) of Win7 Ultimate, so I deleted the linux thingy that came preinstalled, installed Win7, but it wont change from Standard VGA display 640 x 480. Downloaded all the driver from Acer, but when I try to install the graphics driver (Catalyst?), the click to continue buttion is off the bottom of the tv screen so I can't click on it! I downloaded and flashed the BIOS as well, and have m new wireless keyboard and mouse (that I had to buy seperately) intalled and working fine.

Can anyone post me a link to the correct driver, please? From the Windows info screen, the chip and graphics chip are combined, so do I need to update the graphics driver or is there a different BIOS that I need?

So frustrating, a lovely shiny new toy and it wont work properly!

Thanks in advance

Clinkers

sorry i can't help!!
but how much did you get it for in the end? i've been thinking about getting one.

The base driver in Win 7 should allow you to run at better than a 640x480 resolution. The only thing I can think off is it can't communicate with your monitor/TV for some reason. Looking at the datasheet it has both VGA (15 pin D-sub) and HDMI. Try connecting with the type you've not currently connected as a temporary solution.

If you're getting overscan too, i.e. the taskbar is off the bottom of the screen, you need to switch the aspect ratio to "Just Scan"

Back