Instead of an Acer Aspire Revo RL70?

The base driver in Win 7 should allow you to run at better than a 640x480 resolution. The only thing I can think off is it can't communicate with your monitor/TV for some reason. Looking at the datasheet it has both VGA (15 pin D-sub) and HDMI. Try connecting with the type you've not currently connected as a temporary solution.

If you're getting overscan too, i.e. the taskbar is off the bottom of the screen, you need to switch the aspect ratio to "Just Scan"
HI,

yeah, but I think it was the proc rather than the win7 driver tat was causing the issue: win7 detected a vga graphics card and used a 2006 driver for it. I got the Acer autoupdater software and updated (took yonks, brutally slow wifi connection), and after restart had hdmi output at full res. It now sees the proc as having the Radeon (I think?) chipset built in so it give me the other options for higher resolutions.

Some more installing today; XBMC with Navi-x installed and running fine, Netflix and Facebook running through Chrome, using an old powerline network I had lying around. Still not quite perfect, might go into the BIOS and see if there are any tweaks I can do to improve perforamce.

@Steve2493: overall cost was just under €300 (got it from Dabs for €270 delivered and a wireless keyboard and mouse set in Argos), not including the Win7 I had donated to me. It's a bi pricey I know, but it plays all my mkv/blu-ray rips flawlessly, outputs Dolby DTS and 7.1 throiugh my old Dolby speaker system (downmixes it, I used to have to re-encode DTS files), loads of storage space, sly sports through Navi-x. I'm very happy with it (but I told the missus it was €200ish, lol!)

Thanks all

Clinkers

Back