Installation problem with Cas Studio 9.4.0 for Diablo 2

Basil2

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This isn't a defect in the loader, but a bug in my pooter.

Some time ago I noticed that some links no longer worked and remade them. It hadn't occurred to me that my registry (XP32 SP3+all updates) was seriously corrupted until I tried to install CIS940.

By then it was too late, Even my oldest System Restore backup didn't help. SFC/scannow didn't help either and kicking the cat didn't even appear to be a likely solution. D'OH!

My backups are of data, but not progs or M$ updates, so I don't want to go down that path if I don't have to.

I've tried contacting Duolabs in English (as requested) in the past, but received no response. If no one can help here, I'll try again (through a friend from near Torino) in Italian.

Can anyone tell me what programs and exact registry entries are called from v9.4.0?

v9.1.0 and v9.3.0 stopped at the same point, so it's not down to anything new at Duolabs' end. It's difficult to see what's being shown in the final 200mS before lots of egg-timer screens and ultimate coma, but I think its last words were, "Removing backup files".

If I let the install go as far as it will [repair mode doesn't help], I can load the prog and it recognises the Diablo 2, but then goes to sleep. Removing the cam doesn't change anything; it still thinks it's connected.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Failing that, I'll hassle Duolabs.

If all else fails...
"Here kitty-kitty". ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Basil2,

This is what I would try...

1/ Unplug USB connector from CAS3 Interface

2/ Go to Control Panel and open Add or Remove Programs

3/ Remove/Uninstall CAS Studio (you may have more than one instance)

4/ Go to Computer > Local Disc (C) > Program Files > delete folder 'Duolabs'

NB: If you have an Internet Security program/Firewall installed... remove/reset any settings relating to CAS Studio

5/ Go to Start > Search > Windows Search > Search for CIS/CAS/Duolabs on Discs (C) (E)

NB: If anything relevant to the CAS Studio program is found... delete it

6/ Use 'CCleaner' (Freeware) to clean all clutter from the computer

7/ Use Windows 'Disc Defragmenter' or 'Defraggler' (Freeware) to Defragment Discs (C) (E)

8/ Use a Registry Cleaner program to clean the registry

NB: I use RegSupreme Pro but there is a half-decent Registry Cleaner included with CCleaner

9/ Use Windows 'Disc Defragmenter' or 'Defraggler' to Defragment Discs (C) (E)

10/ Use 'CCleaner' (aka Crap Cleaner) to clean all rubbish from the computer

11/ Download and re-install CAS 9.4.0

NB: DO NOT re-attach the USB connector to CAS3 Interface until you are told to do so

12/ Wait for CAS 9.4.0 to open and configure on opening screen

13/ Download the latest Ipnosys file and EMPB's latest Fausto/Diablo file

14/ Try re-programming the Diablo² Cam

NB: I never insert my Diablo² cam into the CAS3 Interface until I have entered the 'Diablo² Cam Programmer' screen where you see... Upgrade CAM/CAM FileSystem/CAM Disc functions... and I never extract my Diablo² cam from the CAS3 Interface until after clicking on 'Exit'

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Basil2,

This is what I would try...

1/ Unplug USB connector from CAS3 Interface
<snipped>
14/ Try re-programming the Diablo² Cam

NB: I never insert my Diablo² cam into the CAS3 Interface until I have entered the 'Diablo² Cam Programmer' screen where you see... Upgrade CAM/CAM FileSystem/CAM Disc functions... and I never extract my Diablo² cam from the CAS3 Interface until after clicking on 'Exit'

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Zorch, You're a King!

When all was hunky-dory, I only only concerned myself with always cold-plugging. ie. Never plugging in or removing the cam with USB power connected. I also relied on the front panel power switch (TM 6900 C.S.) to drop power to the Rx cam slots.

It will take me ages to go through your whole checklist, but I'll set time aside tomorrow (defined as starting when I wake up and life beginning after my first pint of coffee) to do it.

I have to use a Flintstone-era phone to access the net, but I'll try to download your recommended progs tonight.
If they're big, I can probably access an open wifi source if I set up a Sly mini-wok as a reflector. I used to have loads of APs to choose from, but I've just moved to a ground floor flat, so it'll take a bit more setting up.

Thank you again for such a comprehensive answer. I've noticed loads of new registry-related problems. Hopefully I'll panic next time anything plays up and do a system restore instinctively.

Last edited:
Hi again Basil2,

I also use this program (link below) and set it to run at every 'Boot-up'

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Many thanks Zorch. It's sorted now! ...I think.

I installed and ran the progs you suggested. No joy. Then I remembered I'd got a really good uninstall prog, so reinstalled CIS940 as far as it would go and uninstalled it yet again. I ran your registry cleaner, then used regedt32 to go through the registry manually. It said there was still a Duolabs entry in Program Files and so there was. With that and its subdirectories gone, I removed almost all the remaining entries from the registry. Some didn't matter, like Last Program Used (or whatever it was called), but there were others I couldn't interpret, so left them alone.

I rebooted and tried installing CIS940 again...
ET VOILA!!!

Having got this far, I put the latest TM firmware (045) on the Rx, followed by 044p, add-on and restored channel list.
In tweaking the preferences, I checked the other important settings. They all looked normal.

I've no idea how much of my success was down to your software suggestions, but without your advice, I'd still have been twiddling my thumbs, wondering what what wrong, so...

A BIG thank you Zorch!

It seems to perform exactly like version 930, but takes an age to connect. ie. read the cam's folders.

Now the bad news... I formatted the cam and installed Ipnosys 037. Then I added the latest CAIDs update and set the options to everything on except the nag screen and Auto PMT.

I've tried various 28-5-12 versions of the update, but all any seem to do is glitch or freeze some of the channels that were already open with Ipnosys and keys.

Am I alone or are the 19.2e NL Canal Digitaal channels no longer available?
If anyone would like to upload a Diablo 2 CAID update that's known to work, that'd really help.

Thanks again Zorch. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi again Basil2,

NB: Switch your Patch 'OFF' in the TM receiver menu... 'System Information' > enter 2-0-0-4 (Cas Menu/BISS Menu options will now disappear)

Then try the following procedure using the CAS3 Interface after you have successfully loaded Ipnosys 037 to the Diablo² Cam

1/ Click on the 'CAM File System' tab then click on 'Connect'... then wait until the Diablo² Cam has initialized in the 'CAM FileSystem'...

2/ Double click on the 'Config' folder... then double click on 'CAIDS' folder and delete everything in the folder (individually) using the 'Red X' button above the 'File System' window...

3/ Now use the 'Local Folders/Local Files' menu on the left hand side of the screen and navigate to EMPB's latest 'FaustoDiabloKeysCaIDs' file and double click on it... then double-click on the 'Latest Keys & MAIN CaID' folder... highlight the 'MAIN' (XML) file and 'load' using the Green arrow pointing to the 'File System' window...

4/ Click the 'Parent Folder' button twice and double-click on the 'MENU' folder... then double-click on the 'LANG' (language) folder and use the 'Red X' button to delete all language options except for your native tongue...

NB: Deleting all non-essential items from the 'CAM FileSystem' will/should improve the overall performance of the Diablo² Cam

5/ Click the 'Parent Folder' button twice then highlight 'KEYS.BIN' and delete it using the 'Red X' button... then navigate (on the left hand side of the screen) to the 'Latest Keys & MAIN CaID' folder and double click on it... select the 'KEYS' (BIN) file and 'load' using the Green arrow pointing towards the 'File System' window...

6/ Click on the 'Disconnect' button and then click on the 'Exit' button...

7/ Now click on the 'Utilities' tab at the top of the screen and click on 'Common Interface Host'... the screen will then tell you that 'Ipnosys 037' is loaded... then it will tell you that 'CAIDS.XML' is missing (ignore this message as we have not yet set the new CAIDs file)

8/ Highlight 'IPNOSYS 037' (on the screen) and then click on the 'Enter Selected' button... highlight 'CAS' and click on the 'Enter Selected' button... make sure all of the options in here are set to 'ON'

9/ Click on the 'BACK' button and highlight 'Configuation' and then click on the 'Enter Selected' button... use the 'KeyPad Controls' to configure as below...

Language [ENGLISH]
Caids File [MAIN]
Auto PMT [OFF/ON] (depending on receiver)
Emulators [ON]
Smartcard EMMs [OFF]
Emulators Priority [1:Emu - 2:Cards]
Fixed CW [ON]
Smartcard Mess. [Show Never]
Stream Speed [HIGH/MID/LOW] (depending on receiver)

10/ Click the 'BACK' button twice and then click on the 'Exit' button... remove the Diablo² Cam from the CAS3 Interface and insert into your receiver...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Hi again Basil2,

<snipped>

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hiya Zorch!

Maybe down to me drinking too much 'lemonade', the screen egg-timed from "Enter Selected". My structure may have been incomplete too. I didn't start afresh and reload 037, but cleared the cam of files. I created a CAIDS directory and bunged the CAIDS stuff into it. The files that normally live outside, I put in the root.

I'll try again tomorrow, doing it properly. I'll remove the irrelevant country files to leave "Manchester" <g>. I can relate better to paths. eg. "Remove Root:\unwanted.1, Remove Root:\CAIDS\dir1\unwanted.1, Add CAIDS\wanted.1 to Root:\CAIDS\dir1.

I've never even looked at the Utilities menu before, so thank you for letting me know it actually serves a useful purpose. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll appreciate it even more.

Any chance of a Knighthood for Zorch? I'm sure Miggy will share my view that it's more deserved than Surly Fergie's.

Thanks muchly Zorch! Back to this tomorrow hopefully.

Gotta go... Cat's trying to get out of the microwave.
Basil the cat-lover, especially when served in garlic sauce

Last edited:
Hi Zorch,
I spent a good while on it, faithfully following your instructions, but no joy. I even reformatted and reloaded Ip037 several times to ensure I was starting from scratch.
It used to open NGC on 19.2 ok, so I must have been doing something right. I prefer to set the config options through the remote, but your method worked too. The only suspicious thing is that when I hit "Connect" on the CAS Studio, it takes about 13 seconds for the file system to appear. On v 9.3.0, it was much quicker. In the past, having the patch enabled made no difference, but disabling it didn't help anyway.

I'll dig out my old Galaxis Rx and try the cam in that, as it might be the 6900 that's playing silly beggers.
Thanks for all your help. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

Hi again Basil2,

I really can't understand why you are still having problems successfully programming your Diablo² cam... if you have followed all of my instructions like you say... then your Diablo² cam should now be working perfectly...

There is only one other thing I can suggest that you try...

Open Cas3 Studio 9.4.0
Click on Cam Module tab
Click on Diablo Cam
Click on Diablo² Cam
Insert Diablo² Cam
Click on Cam File System tab
Click on Connect
Wait for Diablo² Cam File System to initialize

Double click on every file folder in turn... then highlight and delete each file individually in every folder (using the 'Red X' button) and then delete all folders as well... keep deleting everything in the Cam File System until you see the message "No Files"

Click on Cam Disc Functions tab
Click on Format
Wait until Format is complete
Click on Upgrade Cam tab
Load file Ipnosys 037
Program Diablo² Cam

Then follow post #6 instructions again...

NB: I have attached a file below... this contains the only (2) files that you need to load to your Diablo² Cam File System... the files in question were extracted from EMPB's latest original FaustoDiablo file dated 03-06-12 (thx EMPB)

I hope this finally solves your problem...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Thank you so much for all your efforts Zorch!

I tried it in my Jurassic Galaxis and it opened Sportdigital, yet in the 6900, that channel could only clear with the patch enabled.

Your update helped a lot too. It opened more than the previous versions I tried and with Fixed CW on, I could open Vivolta too. I was sooo relieved that the cam was suddenly working -at least in the Galaxis.

Once I put it back in the 6900, it worked there too! I was now completely baffled.

I've no explanation whatsoever. It's like it had a bad contact which cleaned itself on insertion in the Galaxis.

I don't for a minute think that's the case, as it's been in and out of the programmer and 6900 (both slots) more times than I've had hot women, but that's exactly how it's behaved. It's such a relief that it's working again!

I'll probably puzzle over what could have happened for weeks. The only tweaks I've done to the 6900 have been to add keys, but with the patch disabled, that shouldn't have affected anything else.

I still can't get Dutch NGC, Discovery or Animal Planet/TLC. I really miss Air Crash Investigation. Have these recently become too well encrypted or do keys exist that'll do the biz?

I'm absolutely shattered now, but well chuffed that it's behaving again.

Back to beIN1 Sport now. COME ON TURKEY!

Thanks again King Zorch for all your help.

Last edited:
Hi again Basil2,

All the Dutch channels are open on 19.2°E with the Diablo² Cam using Ipnosys 037 with EMPB's latest Key.bin file & Main CaID file... I was watching them earlier today...

Have you tried setting Auto PMT to [ON] in the Configuration settings...?

Edit: Sorry... keys have now changed... down ATM

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Hi again Basil2,

All the Dutch channels are open on 19.2°E with the Diablo² Cam using Ipnosys 037 with EMPB's latest Key.bin file & Main CaID file... I was watching them earlier today...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Thank you again King Zorch!

D'OH! I never switch Auto PMT on, but have done now. When a new update appears, if it doesn't clear the channels, I'll do my normal thing of going through the settings and toggle it back.

Is there any way I could try to find keys by brute force or would I need a super-computer with a multi-terabyte Unix prog to attempt it?

BTW, You may have noticed my picture of Cat. I'd invited him to dinner and he accepted. <wg>

At the time, I had 3 female cat lovers telling me it was in bad taste.

I told them they were wrong and that he was going to taste lovely. One of them hasn't talked to me since. lol

All the best,
Barmy Basil

Hi again Basil2,

Best Wishes,
Zorch

YABBA DABBA DOO!

The latest update works perfectly!!!
I'm still baffled as to why it wouldn't work for so long, but without your help Zorch, I'd have given up hope long ago!

I didn't realise how much I'd missed the sound of the Dutch language. It's not as sexy to listen to as a French femme fatale, but it does have the edge over German football commentators. Mind you, German commentators have an even bigger edge over David Pleat's bleating!

Did I mention that you're a King Zorch?!

Back