Increase your Bandwidth by 20%

die5el

Inactive User
Reaction score

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
works on XP Pro, and may work on vista and windows 7 just testing it out now on windows 7 ultimate

my speed test results after the change is Download Speed:50414 kbps (6301.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1560 kbps (195 KB/sec transfer rate)
from broadband max

Last edited:

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
works on XP Pro, and may work on vista and windows 7 just testing it out now on windows 7 ultimate

my speed test results after the change is Download Speed:50414 kbps (6301.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1560 kbps (195 KB/sec transfer rate)
from broadband max

be nice to see it working on windows 7 mate, im sure u'll post if it does!

As far as i can see it seems to be working done the speed tests results better than i use to get,trying utorrent at the moment on a private tracker seems to be a little faster than usual so if it is a myth as people say it is the thing is its working for me so far, give it a try if it works it works (deffo working me ) if it dont you got nothing to lose

As far as i can see it seems to be working done the speed tests results better than i use to get,trying utorrent at the moment on a private tracker seems to be a little faster than usual so if it is a myth as people say it is the thing is its working for me so far, give it a try if it works it works (deffo working me ) if it dont you got nothing to lose

is that on windows 7 then mate, or just xp!

thats what i have mate, is it exactly the same steps then for win 7 as it is in your 1st post for xp! if it is i'll have a bash!

ok im gunna give it a go, i'll report back let ya know my opinion!

ok done it, simple enough, speed is still about the same on the test, but it does seem like my pages are loading that touch quicker, although it might just be me thinking it is im not sure haha, cheers anyway though, like ya say if it dusnt make a diff it dusnt matter, i think it has a little but im not 100%

i get windows cannot find gpedit.msc running win 7 home prem

edogg

i get windows cannot find gpedit.msc running win 7 home prem

edogg

I bought into this when I first heard about it a while back. I then did some reading and when it is explained to you, ya realise its a crock of shite and its just an interpretation error of what the feature is for.

Honest.

:)

I bought into this when I first heard about it a while back. I then did some reading and when it is explained to you, ya realise its a crock of shite and its just an interpretation error of what the feature is for.

Honest.

Ah well :Cheers:

Even if 20% of your 100Mbit/sec lan network card was reserved (which it isn't) then you'd still have 80Mbit/sec left which is more than enough to run a 50Mbit/sec modem at full speed so this kind of setting cant actually achieve anything !

The reserved 20% isn't actually exclusively reserved anyway if you dont need it for anything that requires QOS. It only actually gets used if your running a protocol like VOIP that requires fast access to make sure you dont get glitch sounding audio. Of course, being as the setting is only for the PC lan card, it wont actually affect the QOS through a modem.

As previously stated this is an urban myth. Windows DOES NOT hold back 20% of bandwidth for QOS.

This is from an article posted in 2003 on TweakXP.com - QOS Myth
Correcting Some Incorrect Claims About Windows XP QoS Support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in End Computers That Are Running Windows XP" section of this article correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

Clarification about QoS in End Computers That Are Running Windows XP

As in Windows 2000, programs can leverage QoS through the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending enough data to utilize it completely, the unused portion of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS packet scheduler, refer to Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

There really is no need to disable or remove this. You are not going to see any performance drop.

not available on vista......................................

...However, it's a myth that the 20% is constantly reserved or only available to Windows: TweakXP.com - QOS Myth

Honest.

As previously stated this is an urban myth. Windows DOES NOT hold back 20% of bandwidth for QOS.

This is from an article posted in 2003 on TweakXP.com - QOS Myth

The old saying,"Hope springs eternal in the human breast" seems to apply here. This has been posted many times over the years and debunked every time.

QoS only comes into play if you have software that supports it i.e. an application and the backend networking infrastructure also supports QoS.

Back