In Education, what is higher, a Professor or a Doctor?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
How exactly do you become a Professor?

Is it a higher 'rank' than a Doctor?

I always thought a Professor was a person with a Doctorate, oh my heads sore.

beady

Inactive User
Reaction score
A doctor has a PhD (although medical doctors don't have PhDs, they're doctors by profession), i.e. it's a qualification. 'Professor' is a position at university (which almost always requires a PhD to get the job), but isn't the same thing at all.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
@ Beady, you've completely confused me mate :err:

My brother has recently qualified as a Maths professor, what exactly does that mean?

pootas

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well I'd say you got fook all chance of short changing him that's for sure.....

beady

Inactive User
Reaction score
It means he's got a job at a university as a professor. I imagine some time in the past he got a PhD (which is the qualification and gives him the title 'Doctor'). Professor is just the job title. Have a look here. How did we ever survive without wikipedia?

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
@ Beady, you've completely confused me mate :err:

My brother has recently qualified as a Maths professor, what exactly does that mean?

professor is the highest rank you can get in teaching i believe. You really get awarded it maybe by a board based on your work etc. A Doctor is someone whose done a PHD i think.

mozr

Banned
Reaction score
The vast majority of professors do hold PHDs, but it is not neccesary. Some professors can get away with an undergrad qualification if he/she has done a lot of work in his/her field.

So. A Doctor could have more academic qualifications, but a professor be higher in the Educational establishmnet because he/she has excelled in their field.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Thanks guys I see now :)

He qualified as a 'Doctor' of Mathematics years ago (mid 90's), he's now a Prof :)

Smart Fooker, I'm as thick as two short planks. He must have been the Milkmans ;)

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score

He qualified as a 'Doctor' of Mathematics years ago (mid 90's), he's now a Prof :)

Smart Fooker, I'm as thick as two short planks. He must have been the Milkmans ;)

Yeah but did he get 24 cans of Carling for a £5?? Whose smarter now eh!!

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
pmsl, yer and he has diabetes and he's an ugly bastard!

:)

KhuramG

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

"He must have been the Milkmans" or the other way round...ever thougnt of that mate? ;-)

TEST