In Education, what is higher, a Professor or a Doctor?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
How exactly do you become a Professor?

Is it a higher 'rank' than a Doctor?

I always thought a Professor was a person with a Doctorate, oh my heads sore.

A doctor has a PhD (although medical doctors don't have PhDs, they're doctors by profession), i.e. it's a qualification. 'Professor' is a position at university (which almost always requires a PhD to get the job), but isn't the same thing at all.

@ Beady, you've completely confused me mate :err:

My brother has recently qualified as a Maths professor, what exactly does that mean?

Well I'd say you got fook all chance of short changing him that's for sure.....

It means he's got a job at a university as a professor. I imagine some time in the past he got a PhD (which is the qualification and gives him the title 'Doctor'). Professor is just the job title. Have a look here. How did we ever survive without wikipedia?

@ Beady, you've completely confused me mate :err:

My brother has recently qualified as a Maths professor, what exactly does that mean?

professor is the highest rank you can get in teaching i believe. You really get awarded it maybe by a board based on your work etc. A Doctor is someone whose done a PHD i think.

The vast majority of professors do hold PHDs, but it is not neccesary. Some professors can get away with an undergrad qualification if he/she has done a lot of work in his/her field.

So. A Doctor could have more academic qualifications, but a professor be higher in the Educational establishmnet because he/she has excelled in their field.

Thanks guys I see now :)

He qualified as a 'Doctor' of Mathematics years ago (mid 90's), he's now a Prof :)

Smart Fooker, I'm as thick as two short planks. He must have been the Milkmans ;)

He qualified as a 'Doctor' of Mathematics years ago (mid 90's), he's now a Prof :)

Smart Fooker, I'm as thick as two short planks. He must have been the Milkmans ;)

Yeah but did he get 24 cans of Carling for a £5?? Whose smarter now eh!!

pmsl, yer and he has diabetes and he's an ugly bastard!

:)

"He must have been the Milkmans" or the other way round...ever thougnt of that mate? ;-)

Back