imput/output resoultion what does it mean?

adam

Inactive User
Reaction score
i bought a 50" tv a couple of years ago and it was capable of imputing 1080p but would only display 720. until now i assumed that meant i could plug in whatever but it would be downscaled to 720 but yesterday i plugged in a laptop to watch a film and it showed 19(something) by 1080 and there was a clear difference. what the hell does any of this mean. should i set the xbox to1080? can anyone explain this to me please as i just dont understand it at all. the tv is only supposed to be 720.

It's possible that the set is overscanning rather than downscaling. On a "letter boxed" film you would loose the left and right edges (180 pixels off each) but would also crop the black lines off the top and botton, better filling the screen. In an xbox game that doesn't increase the field-of-view between the 720 p and 1080p you'll see more in the 720p version.

However, its worth punching the number shown on the back of the set into Google. On the off chance there has been a mistake at the factory (e.g. higher spec set in a lower spec's box) or on the description in store.

At the end of the day why not try the xbox at 1080p/i and see what the outcome is?

If the TV is downscaling automatically then there should not be any harm in setting the xbox to 1080.

As for the laptop (1920x0180), what source are you comparing the laptop against ? Against Sky or virgin HD or standalone blu-ray player ?

Back