I'm a Virgin Get Me Out Of Here.....

So got a call back earlier from "sales", they can apparently authorise two months free....Apparently they have an allotted amount of credit they can give away, but it doesn't get added to the package on the system, it's added as a credit to the bill each month.

He told me he was going to forward a copy of the mail in.

Wouldn't you think they would be informed about such things?

I'm just really dubious over this now I can see me having further "discussions"

So got a call back earlier from "sales", they can apparently authorise two months free....Apparently they have an allotted amount of credit they can give away, but it doesn't get added to the package on the system, it's added as a credit to the bill each month.

He told me he was going to forward a copy of the mail in.

Wouldn't you think they would be informed about such things?
I'm just really dubious over this now I can see me having further "discussions"

I assume you haven't actually paid anything yet, just signed up. Don't see how you're committed if the terms you signed under don't exist.

With your other reservations, maybe time for a complete rethink, or negotiations, while you've got the option to pull out ?

My superhub "upgrade" was about 6 months ago. Before that I had a cable modem which was a neat little black box
(think Cisco, they took it away) with discreet leds. Found out later it was good for 120meg. Have you got that already ?
If not, I imagine they could find one if pressed. This would avoid the mac / authorization problem above.
If I'd known at the time about the poor wifi range of the superhub, I would have said just upgrade the speed, and that's all.
My Dlink is now back for the wifi range, and I have a larger flashy awkward superhub, configured just as a cable modem.

Maybe progress to VM, but not to me. Life seems increasingly like that, probably just me! :)

That's exactly what happened to me exos, I was contacted offered 6 months half price on a 12 month contract instead of 18. I went for it but when the contract came through the post it stated nothing of the sort. Customer services could see no such discount on the account either so I ended up emailing the chief exec and ten minutes later a lady called Sophie berchell (I think her name was) called me up and sorted everything and this time sent me an email with all previous agreements so I had it in writing this time.

I'd strongly advise you contact them aswell as phoning customer services is a nightmare! I'll pm you the address mate

I assume you haven't actually paid anything yet, just signed up. Don't see how you're committed if the terms you signed under don't exist.

With your other reservations, maybe time for a complete rethink, or negotiations, while you've got the option to pull out ?

My superhub "upgrade" was about 6 months ago. Before that I had a cable modem which was a neat little black box
(think Cisco, they took it away) with discreet leds. Found out later it was good for 120meg. Have you got that already ?
If not, I imagine they could find one if pressed. This would avoid the mac / authorization problem above.
If I'd known at the time about the poor wifi range of the superhub, I would have said just upgrade the speed, and that's all.
My Dlink is now back for the wifi range, and I have a larger flashy awkward superhub, configured just as a cable modem.

Maybe progress to VM, but not to me. Life seems increasingly like that, probably just me! :)

My missus said the same about pulling out. Told her what I told the guy on the phone, I wouldn't have signed up if I didn't want it but they are not giving me much choice.

Don't have any virgin at the moment, I'm on ADSL. Didn't even know the modem was an option? But I guess I would have to see how it is before I can complain.

That's exactly what happened to me exos, I was contacted offered 6 months half price on a 12 month contract instead of 18. I went for it but when the contract came through the post it stated nothing of the sort. Customer services could see no such discount on the account either so I ended up emailing the chief exec and ten minutes later a lady called Sophie berchell (I think her name was) called me up and sorted everything and this time sent me an email with all previous agreements so I had it in writing this time.

I'd strongly advise you contact them aswell as phoning customer services is a nightmare! I'll pm you the address mate

Cheers for the PM appreciated, I'm going to wait for the email on Monday. If not I'm going back on the phone as I have the the sales guys mobile (John Imossi)

They were actually offering 12 months half price on all collections @ the gadget show, but it was 30mb. I only took the broadband though as didn't really want the TV, but would have cost me £50 for everything and free install on 18 months.

Last edited:
My missus said the same about pulling out. Told her what I told the guy on the phone, I wouldn't have signed up if I didn't want it but they are not giving me much choice.

Don't have any virgin at the moment, I'm on ADSL. Didn't even know the modem was an option? But I guess I would have to see how it is before I can complain.

Didn't even know the modem was an option?

Neither did I, but "upgrade" to superhub seems to be for policy, not technical, reasons. A bit of background, I was an existing VM customer,
on 30meg (adequate for my use, most bottlenecks on sites I use are at source), but when was told I could have a "free" upgrade to 50meg,
thought why not.
VM clodhopper turns up with his big flashy box, and says it has to be fitted for 50meg upgrade, disconnects my stuff,
says how wonderful the superhub is, and leaves it suspended on a foot of coax, because it's too big to directly replace my old modem.
Not pleased with this, for many reasons, not least was that he'd buggered off with my old modem.

When I gave up on the superhub wifi range, and went back to my Dlink, getting my old type modem back seemed a good idea, since I knew
then it was good up to 120meg. Got hold of VM, was told replacement was "policy", evasive about anything else.

I didn't have any lever, other than threatening to leave VM. I didn't want to do that, got a good deal.

You are in a position to negotiate, and I have difficulty believing the "old" modem is not still available, if you push it.
It may limit upgrades down the line, or you may not have my problems with the superhub.

I may just be wrong (not exactly unusual) but once you accept the superhub, you're stuck with it's shortcomings.
Be worth a call in advance, to prearrange if possible. Otherwise they "won't have one in the van", and the steamroller starts. :)

Last edited:
Come on lads be serious do you really need 100mb broadband when do you download at that speed ? Its bollox even nzb max speed is 6mb a second its bollox just sign up for the 30mb package and virmin give you 60 ?

when did you ever download a movie or any file at 100mb its bollox ?

Get the cheapest package 30mb this 120mb is a myth no way will torrents nzb servers will run at this speed even your home server ?

your paying for something that will never be used the cap your bandwith anyway 30mb is massive does your lappy support 120mb ?

I've got the dlink dir615 router set up from VM with separate modem, I thought I'd got to have the super hub for 100mb, never had a problem at all with that,they defo not getting them back , I want to use the 615 to extend my range upstairs.
6mb is the fastest nzb download at ? Mine Downs at over 7 on 60meg

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I've got the dlink dir615 router set up from VM with separate modem, I thought I'd got to have the super hub for 100mb, never had a problem at all with that,they defo not getting them back , I want to use the 615 to extend my range upstairs.
6mb is the fastest nzb download at ? Mine Downs at over 7 on 60meg

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not knocking the faster speeds generally, depends on your usage.

Just saying the superhub was no use to me (and I suspect many others), and just caused me aggro with no return.

Come on lads be serious do you really need 100mb broadband when do you download at that speed ? Its bollox even nzb max speed is 6mb a second its bollox just sign up for the 30mb package and virmin give you 60 ?

It's not all about "movie" and nzb downloads you know.

Get the cheapest package 30mb this 120mb is a myth no way will torrents nzb servers will run at this speed even your home server ?

Er, actually. Yes. I also access my server remotely when I need ISO's etc, and have a RDS service running (not downstream services obviously)

your paying for something that will never be used the cap your bandwith anyway 30mb is massive does your lappy support 120mb ?

How sure are you that I wouldn't actually download anything, or use the upload/download speeds. The same was said when 24Mb LLU was released.

My "devices" support Gb to the desktop. I rarely use wireless, only for mobile devices.

Last edited:
Well all I can say is I have a wired desktop/server to my superhub, and the fastest download speeds I get of nzb, is about 6MB but on average it is about 1.7 MB maybe upto 2.2 MB.

Now the superhub is supposed to be able to support the top speeds of 120mb yer right, but what I have seen in many posts people are putting it in modem mode and using D link routers that support only 2.4ghz anyway ?

So if you put your superhub in modem mode and attach a D-link router that only supports 2.4ghz what's the point of having a 100MB broadband.

Useless and a waste of money, ping time does not change one bit, stability does not change ?

I challenge anybody to post here a screen shot of downloading anything over 30MB a second ?

Prove me wrong :)

From my sabnzbd log,

eureka season 4 720p - 54.3 GB
Completed at 03:54:20 on Monday 01 April 2013
Downloaded in 1 hour 19 minutes 7 seconds at an average of 11.7 MB/s

Yes it was on 1st april but these are real life results. If could have gone quicker but I am also running the indexing site on the same link which uses up some of the bandwidth. Of course that is overnight and I don't really care if I get 5MB or 10MB overnight but even during the day I have no problems downloading at 9MB which is what I sabnzb limited to allow the indexing site spare bandwidth.

Well all I can say is I have a wired desktop/server to my superhub, and the fastest download speeds I get of nzb, is about 6MB but on average it is about 1.7 MB maybe upto 2.2 MB.

Now the superhub is supposed to be able to support the top speeds of 120mb yer right, but what I have seen in many posts people are putting it in modem mode and using D link routers that support only 2.4ghz anyway ?

So if you put your superhub in modem mode and attach a D-link router that only supports 2.4ghz what's the point of having a 100MB broadband.

Useless and a waste of money, ping time does not change one bit, stability does not change ?

I challenge anybody to post here a screen shot of downloading anything over 30MB a second ?

See my post above before making silly comments.

In case you are wondering I have the black oval modem which is plugged directly into my server which is running RRAS on W2K8 to supply the rest of the house. My parents are on 60mb with the superhub and have no problems downloading the full 60mb with a PC hardwired to the superhub. I can provide many more examples of people on 60, 100 and 120mb that can download at full speed both on torrents + usenet plus dedicated private hosted FTP sites.

As as test I also steamed 8 HD programs off iplayer no problem and that was while doing other stuff as well.

Last edited:
From my sabnzbd log,

eureka season 4 720p - 54.3 GB
Completed at 03:54:20 on Monday 01 April 2013
Downloaded in 1 hour 19 minutes 7 seconds at an average of 11.7 MB/s

Yes it was on 1st april but these are real life results. If could have gone quicker but I am also running the indexing site on the same link which uses up some of the bandwidth. Of course that is overnight and I don't really care if I get 5MB or 10MB overnight but even during the day I have no problems downloading at 9MB which is what I sabnzb limited to allow the indexing site spare bandwidth.

Can see both sides really. I lack the use (or need) for high speeds. Some want (or need) these.

There's an element of "go faster stripe", or "mines bigger than yours" as well.

You haven't got near the 30mb challenge (screenshot) though.:)

Last edited:
See my post above before making silly comments.

In case you are wondering I have the black oval modem which is plugged directly into my server which is running RRAS on W2K8 to supply the rest of the house. My parents are on 60mb with the superhub and have no problems downloading the full 60mb with a PC hardwired to the superhub. I can provide many more examples of people on 60, 100 and 120mb that can download at full speed both on torrents + usenet plus dedicated private hosted FTP sites.

As as test I also steamed 8 HD programs off iplayer no problem and that was while doing other stuff as well.

Its not a silly comment at all, you have the hardware to support high speeds 99% of people do not ?

Most people have an average home set up and router, so you can hit a average of 11MB on your advanced router and set up.

That proves my point, that it is still way off 30MB

Last edited:
Broadband speed and download rate are completely different I.e

I am on 35Mb and my download rate is 3.5MB approx

The first one is megabits the second is megabytes

At least I'm sure that's right :)

The fastest speed YOU get is 6Mb/s. They key point there is you. I don't know who your news provider is but as I said Newsleechers is unlimited. Astraweb has a 10MB/s limit on one service and unlimited download speed on another.

People may put their device into modem mode, use a D-Link on 2.4Ghz, but I'm not sure the point you are making. In case you didn't notice I started the thread about ME having 100Mb. There are many factors with regards to wireless, 20Mhz/40Mhz, aggressiveness of roaming, forcing which band they use, whether the wireless card is 2x2 or 3x3, WMM enabled or disabled....etc etc.

I don't see it as a waste of money. Ping times and stability are circumstantial (relevent, but circumstantial), but so is jitter. Take for example now, I get 13MB sync roughly, I download at 1.25Mb/s, if i DON'T throttle that back during times when I'm at home in an evening, other "services" I have stop working and the rest of my family can't access what they want to.

I think you may have also missed the point of Onemans post, his is purposely throttled, by him.

Last edited:
Have you factored in the Isolator box that the Superhub/Tivo(future) will get plugged into. As you are all networked up, if you want to use another router, you can have your Superhub next to any free network port. Don't forget it is a gigabit switch. I am more in favour of switching wifi off and using another wireless source if needed as opposed to switching the router to modem only mode.

Have you factored in the Isolator box that the Superhub/Tivo(future) will get plugged into. As you are all networked up, if you want to use another router, you can have your Superhub next to any free network port. Don't forget it is a gigabit switch. I am more in favour of switching wifi off and using another wireless source if needed as opposed to switching the router to modem only mode.

Yeah I have, but at the moment I'm not even sure I want Virgin TV. If needs be I can drop it behind the TV, but it means moving my Sonos Bridge (for some bizarre reason it won't work If it's connected anywhere else other than into the router).

I'm going to see how it goes on Tuesday and what the install engineer says.

Back