I'm a Virgin Get Me Out Of Here.....

So decided last night that the Superhub is a piece of sh*t and doesn't have half the features MOST normal routers do.

I mean what the hell is the firewall all about... Low/Medium/High settings with no explanation of what it does, and as far as no snmp which seems to be the case, that's just plain stupid for a router.....VM don't even know the answer to the firewall settings and what they do when you read on their forums......

Apparently I've also downloaded yesterday 12Gb in under 3 minutes......which is bloody good going.

I'm also convinced it's rebooting itself as it appears to reset the timer, two or three times a day.

P.S. I got another welcome pack yesterday, and that's wrong too.

Made up with the speed, just a shame it's let down by a pi$$ poor router.

Looking at getting a WDNR4300 which supports DD-WRT and does everything I want it to and more, but I'm still unhappy that I have to go out and buy something else and switch it to modem mode, when I have something that "supposedly" does the job sitting on a cabinet.

Last edited:
Mine has worked fine since I contacted the help line and they reset everything from their end the only thing i have done is change the ssid and password

So decided last night that the Superhub is a piece of sh*t and doesn't have half the features MOST normal routers do.

I mean what the hell is the firewall all about... Low/Medium/High settings with no explanation of what it does, and as far as no snmp which seems to be the case, that's just plain stupid for a router.....VM don't even know the answer to the firewall settings and what they do when you read on their forums......

Apparently I've also downloaded yesterday 12Gb in under 3 minutes......which is bloody good going.

I'm also convinced it's rebooting itself as it appears to reset the timer, two or three times a day.

P.S. I got another welcome pack yesterday, and that's wrong too.

Made up with the speed, just a shame it's let down by a pi$$ poor router.

Looking at getting a WDNR4300 which supports DD-WRT and does everything I want it to and more, but I'm still unhappy that I have to go out and buy something else and switch it to modem mode, when I have something that "supposedly" does the job sitting on a cabinet.

Good job you're not worried about the wifi range as well !

I don't even have your specialized needs, but it seems an ill thought out piece of crap, which pleases few.

Physically unstable, too big, sockets in all the wrong places, disturbing led's, abysmal wifi range etc.

Even modem only causes tidy installation probems. I finished up bolting the plastic base to an aluminium L plate, then screwed
the plate to the wall. Blu tac, or tape, is a temp fix for the led's, until I take it apart to dim the led's.

Did you get a Tivo box as well ? Another pile of overcomplicated excrement, rejected by americans, so shipped over here.

I find VM TV, broadband, and phone service pretty good, but supplied standard local equipment sucks !

Good job you're not worried about the wifi range as well !

I don't even have your specialized needs, but it seems an ill thought out piece of crap, which pleases few.

Physically unstable, too big, sockets in all the wrong places, disturbing led's, abysmal wifi range etc.

Even modem only causes tidy installation probems. I finished up bolting the plastic base to an aluminium L plate, then screwed
the plate to the wall. Blu tac, or tape, is a temp fix for the led's, until I take it apart to dim the led's.

Did you get a Tivo box as well ? Another pile of overcomplicated excrement, rejected by americans, so shipped over here.

I find VM TV, broadband, and phone service pretty good, but supplied standard local equipment sucks !

To be honest, they are all the same issues I have, and more (including not being able to use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time..I mean...REALLY)

It's just an awful piece of equipment. I'm getting random stuttering on Youtube now, switch back to my ADSL router and it's fine.... Had a quick read.....guess what...superhub, fix....turn it to modem only mode....

I just despair with it and want to be able to have a nice neat (SMALL) DOCSIS 3.0 modem connected to my choice of router.

Virgin should give end users two options 1. AIO SuperCrap for Joe Average 2. Modem Only (Your Choice of Router) for TechnoNerds

No Tivo for me, and I'm glad I didn't given he would have had to cable across my living room.

Last edited:
To be honest, they are all the same issues I have, and more (including not being able to use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time..I mean...REALLY)

It's just an awful piece of equipment. I'm getting random stuttering on Youtube now, switch back to my ADSL router and it's fine.... Had a quick read.....guess what...superhub, fix....turn it to modem only mode....

I just despair with it and want to be able to have a nice neat (SMALL) DOCSIS 3.0 modem connected to my choice of router.

Virgin should give end users two options 1. AIO SuperCrap for Joe Average 2. Modem Only (Your Choice of Router) for TechnoNerds

No Tivo for me, and I'm glad I didn't given he would have had to cable across my living room.

My thoughts exactly !

One size fits all, never a good idea, especially in my case, as an existing customer.
Effectively forced on me, screwed my perfectly good arrangements, caused me aggro, then had to put my old router back well.

Still, you're a VM costumer now, at least for a while, and I doubt you'll go back to your old isp, once current problems are sorted.
Be wary at the next "free upgrade", with your setup it's a much bigger minefield than mine.

So, not yet a week in and I'm beginning to think this is a bit of a joke.

Spoke to VM yesterday again, because of the second welcome pack i received still being wrong, and they actually did this time confirm the two months free, but apparently because they charge up front my first payment in June is £50... Not sure how that works, but I gave up trying to work it out with her because the pro-rata rate didn't match up with the DD date.

So couldn't login to my account online, had no record of my email which she also kindly passed over. So after needing to go out I thought I would get my account registered, but now...i don't exist. Tried every iteration of my account name in the hope I had written it down wrong, but it wasn't so. Calls them up again and after being passed around, asking me my password twenty times, what the issue is, if I had a virgin media account before etc etc I finally gets told it's going to take 7 days to fix it and would need to be escalated to third line as it's an IT problem... I mean wtf? 7 days to make my account active, If I worked like that I would be out of a job.

So next thing, Mr's keeps complaining internet is slow, cant get to web pages etc.. Calls tech support again as in the logs the firewall appears to be blocking DNS? I mean what bloody router blocks DNS. Gets told that need to turn of IP filtering. Why it would filter DNS I have no idea, but it worked......

So started to make a list, because frankly I really am pissed I have to go out and buy another router at my expense.

Technical
Doesn't have SNMP enabled (so i can use things such as PRTG monitor etc)
WiFi range is poor (going out to buy a new AP for upstairs)
DNS sites blocked - Turn off IP Flooding and it's fine.
Firewall - What the hell is Low, Medium, High used for, no indication of what any of the settings actually allow/block
Using UPNP for port forwarding, why can't I see what is used in the firewall
Reboots Randomly
Can't use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time (having a mixture of device types). What is the point of that.
Why can't I use other class C ranges outside of 192.168.x.x for DHCP

Physical
Oversize
Huge blue annoying blinking light
Can't be wall mounted

P.S. Danforth, I also noticed a big chunk out of the brick outside, he had tried to hide it with the terracotta cover used for the cable.

Last edited:
I also noticed a big chunk out of the brick outside, he had tried to hide it with the terracotta cover used for the cable.

they did the same at mine, god i can even drill a hole through wall without blowing the brick, they just don't know how to use a drill correctly, they just push really hard everyone know let the drill do the work.

fecking idiots they are m8.

i rang them yesterday to ask about a tivo box with XL package told me £67.99 a month but if i had the box i have now put upstairs and then have tivo downstairs with same package's on it would only be £64.99

which is not bad 60mb modem, phone, and 2 HD box's with free weekend calls but will keep that in mind for the future :)

PS: forgot to ask he told me everytime i get my email about my bill check the offers as they change every month to customers

Last edited:
they did the same at mine, god i can even drill a hole through wall without blowing the brick, they just don't know how to use a drill correctly, they just push really hard everyone know let the drill do the work.

fecking idiots they are m8.

i rang them yesterday to ask about a tivo box with XL package told me £67.99 a month but if i had the box i have now put upstairs and then have tivo downstairs with same package's on it would only be £64.99

which is not bad 60mb modem, phone, and 2 HD box's with free weekend calls but will keep that in mind for the future :)

PS: forgot to ask he told me everytime i get my email about my bill check the offers as they change every month to customers

Be very wary of the Tivo box !

We had one fitted as a downstairs "primary", our original V+ box was refitted upstairs.
The Tivo is overcomplicated for normal usage, the menus are not user friendly, and you spend a lot of time reading the instructions.
It does offer more facilities, but in doing so, makes everyday usage a pain. Add instability (ours would reboot frequently), and you begin
to wonder if the learning curve is worth it. I decided it wasn't, and swapped the boxes around. The Tivo is now only used occasionally.

So, why do VM supply the Tivo box ?

It was designed for the American cable market, a few years ago. Large numbers were pre manufactured, prior to launch.
After suffering general rejection, probably for the reasons above, the stockpile was available at a knock down price.
VM was looking to replace the aging V+ box, and the Tivo was a cheap alternative.

I don't know anyone who likes them, except for people who have never had anything else.
Maybe the same applies to the superhub, it's difficult to understand VM's decision otherwise.

Back