I'm a Virgin Get Me Out Of Here.....

Its not a silly comment at all, you have the hardware to support high speeds 99% of people do not ?

Most people have an average home set up and router, so you can hit a average of 11MB on your advanced router and set up.

That proves my point, that it is still way off 30MB

You can easily get 120mb from servers list astra web with the superhub if you stay off wifi

So guy was arsey as f***, wouldn't do anything I asked and just huffed and puffed when I said I didn't want cables routed from one side of the room to the other... also left brick dust everywhere (I had to clean up)

Basically came up with every excuse from ladders not long enough, to sky would do it but virgin have a policy not to..

Anyway, caved in, and I put it where I didn't really want it, not half bad to be fair just a power socket short :p

Before:

After:

Tried it out with Astra and getting full 10Mb/s download.

Tried the same test over wireless (only used my work laptop), and was only getting 40Mb on the speed test.

Last edited:
take a picture of the install m8 lets see how bad or good they did, i was lucky had mine before wood flooring so put it under it myself, got box one side and cable coming out other side of room top of skirting board, so can put any side i like.

take a picture of the install m8 lets see how bad or good they did, i was lucky had mine before wood flooring so put it under it myself, got box one side and cable coming out other side of room top of skirting board, so can put any side i like.

The install is tidy enough, he used the box outside that has been there for about 15 years which I ripped the guts out of some years ago (even the cable from the green box to the house was fine, although in the neighbors garden which he dug up lol), just drilled through and put it where all my other kit is. Looks OK. Will get a picture later.

Last edited:
There you go Nap, just for you

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

My old router has to come out and the Sonos bridge moved, also the patch cable needs to be routed into the management tray.

Last edited:
So in reality he did a good job then,

OCD is a fecker ;)

So in reality he did a good job then,

OCD is a fecker ;)

It is, but my next worry is this:

Untitled-1.jpg

Yep, in almost five hours of it being on, I've downloaded almost 5GB of data....and I have not actually done anything (this is just my server sync, i think)

Could it just be Ian traffic m8

I don't think so, the router is basically just an arm off the rest of the network where everything is channeled for web access, so there is nothing local to it.

I don't think so, the router is basically just an arm off the rest of the network where everything is channeled for web access, so there is nothing local to it.

If the router is just an arm then why is it there to begin with,

Isn't it the thing through which all your devices are connected?

If the router is just an arm then why is it there to begin with,

Isn't it the thing through which all your devices are connected?

Nope, I have a separate layer 3 switch which all my devices are connected back to.

Nope, I have a separate layer 3 switch which all my devices are connected back to.

Dare I ask why,although I'm guessing the answer will be "because I can" :)

Dare I ask why,although I'm guessing the answer will be "because I can" :)

There is actually a perfectly legitimate (but long) explanation, but you can have the short version ;)

A) Firstly the router is located in my living room, there are two data points located next to the hub, two next to the TV, two in one bedroom and two in another bedroom. I have network devices in each of these locations (TV, DB, ATV etc)
B) All the data points terminate back to my office where the switch is located
C) In my office I have my server, NAS, two desktop PC's and two printers The NAS is connected to the switch using an LACP trunk to aggregate data (something you can't do on a noddy switch). One of the PC's is my primary point of use, therfore this is my focus in terms of speed of internet access (as well as the servers/NAS as the storage is presented over accelerated iSCSI)
D) One desktop PC is connected via a pair of homeplugs, one of which is connected to the switch (this is clear in point F) the other desktop PC is connected directly to the switch (as cited above)
E) The server is connected to the switch using a teamed pair, with the ports on the switch also set as a trunk.
F) The TV and ATV which resides in my daughters room is connected to a small hub (she doesn't require much bandwidth) which in turn is connected to my core network (back to the main switch). As she also uses a laptop/iPad/iPod etc and it's in my extension where wireless is pretty much non existent she has a wireless homeplug (again this connects back to the switch in my office)
G) As there is no data point in my conservatory (lack of forsight on my part), this also has a homeplug which again routes back to the core switch.

Now consider my switch is 48 port and the router has only 4 ports.

Last edited:
Ffs glad you didn't give me the long answer ;)

You do realise that all that technical speak doesn't make you look clever :D

But in anyway,does the switch still not have to connect to the router,
thus meaning everything that's connected to the switch is technically connected to the router :)

Ffs glad you didn't give me the long answer ;)

You do realise that all that technical speak doesn't make you look clever :D

But in anyway,does the switch still not have to connect to the router,
thus meaning everything that's connected to the switch is technically connected to the router :)

I wasn't trying to be clever lol, I thought I was trying to be precise so you understood....oops.

Yep, but the LAN traffic is local to the core switch not the switch on the router which was my point over the session data only being internet traffic...

Tut, do you not know anything :p

I wasn't trying to be clever lol, I thought I was trying to be precise so you understood....oops.

Yep, but the LAN traffic is local to the core switch not the switch on the router which was my point over the session data only being internet traffic...

Tut, do you not know anything :p

Knew the clever bit would get you :D

Thanks for the explanation though ;)

why do you still have the old adsl still fixed to wall, or is it still used for something else :)

mine is all behind the TV i just dont look there as i hate fecking cables

virgin phone, virgin box, router, sky box, home plugs, 10 fecking plugs in a tower thing, thank god for 47" TV's hide everything untill you have to do something then they are always in a tangle Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
why do you still have the old adsl still fixed to wall, or is it still used for something else :)

mine is all behind the TV i just dont look there as i hate fecking cables

virgin phone, virgin box, router, sky box, home plugs, 10 fecking plugs in a tower thing, thank god for 47" TV's hide everything untill you have to do something then they are always in a tangle Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That is similar to my parents who had spaghetti behind their TV. Was up there last weekend so got a piece of ply, painted it to match the wall and put 4 way power extension, modem, router and ethernet faceplate that feeds upstairs on there. 10x neater now.

I could make you all feel better and take a pic of the dusty mess behind my tv lol. Ethernet cables, hdmi cables and metres of speaker cabling galore all stuffed down the back of my tv unit lol

Because up until last week, i wasn't getting Virgin and it's still active (I still pay for it and have a month left), plus as yet I haven't removed it.

Back