If I offend the unemployed sorry

Unfortunately I joined the ranks of the unemployed a few months ago ( have worked full time in various jobs since I was 16, I am now 45) but fortunately my mortgage is all paid up and we need very little to live off, 6 months ago I would have agreed with what you said about telling people to go get a job but now I find myself in that position and it is frustrating to say the least, last month I applied for 32 jobs within a 20 mile area of my town and have had one reply to say the job has been appointed internally, the rest didn't have the courtesy to reply.
People are telling me it's the present climate and that things will pick up, WHEN?
Anyway if nothing comes up in the next month or so I will probably end up getting my taxi badge or look at going self employed, but got to disagree when you say anyone can get a job, its really demoralising.

the problem is getting the folk off benefits who can still afford to go to pub and bookies every day and give them to people who do actually need it! its the one thing that rips my knitting is seeing folk who dont work that can go to pub and bookies all day every day! lol im just amazed they can do it!!

yes but their prob on incapacity benefits, using the child benefit money, crooks, dealers or fiddlling other benefits, but i can assure you their not doing it with a £67pw giro

Come to Ireland and live here, everyone is too well of to work.

A BUSINESSMAN told yesterday how he was "gobsmacked" when he offered a permanent job to two workers who had been unemployed for two years -- but both turned it down because they get more in handouts from the State.

David Lawlor, of Watermark Technology in Citywest, Dublin, and who owns the distribution rights to Gaggia commercial coffee machines in Ireland and the UK, was offering a job in maintenance for an annual wage of €28,000.

A person on the national minimum wage of €7.65 an hour would earn €15,912.

First,the businessman offered the position to a Romanian national who has been living here for a number of years. But he quit after just one day.

"He's married, with kids, and is renting," said Mr Lawlor, adding that the man qualifies for multiple types of social welfare.

"He'd been working for a rival but had been let go two years ago. He started on the Tuesday and on the Wednesday he said he felt he was entitled to more money.

"He said he'd get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor had pointed out to the man that he could also earn overtime, at one-and-a-half times the rate, as well as have the use of a company van for incidental personal use.

"A lot of these guys are handy, so they do nixers; they have that on top of their dole."

The following week Mr Lawlor offered the job to a Filipino national, who, he said, had the skills required and had done the "best ever interview". He had been living here for several years, had four children and drove an "06 or 07 car".

During the interview Mr Lawlor -- who employs 10 people -- discovered the man had been involved in an industrial dispute with his previous company and had been unable to find another job.

"He was in a situation where no one would give him a job. But I figured that I would be able to manage the situation because I work very closely with my employees.

"But he went home and the next day he called and told me his wife said they would get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor said he was frustrated that, despite receiving almost 300 CVs and offering the job twice, he still could not find someone.

Secure

"It's a good job, it's secure, and it's well over the minimum wage. Yet we can't fill it.

"We've got people here who don't want to work, they don't want to be worse off (than on the dole)."

He said the new Government must tackle the issue for the sake of the economy.

"There are politicians here but they're not living in the real world where there are real problems. And until they fix those problems, we're going to go nowhere.

''If anybody out there is listening, I want them to know this is a real issue."

Figures supplied by the Revenue show that a single person earning €28,000 would net €23,565.36 with basic tax credits. This would rise to €23,924.88 for a medical card holder as they would pay 4pc Universal Social Charge (USC).

A married person on the same salary would have additional credits and would take home €25,215.36, rising to €25,574.88 if they hold a medical card and pay the reduced USC of 4pc.

The USC for non-medical card holders is 7pc for all earnings over €16,016.

And some people still don't think this country is fecked.

Come to Ireland and live here, everyone is too well of to work.

A BUSINESSMAN told yesterday how he was "gobsmacked" when he offered a permanent job to two workers who had been unemployed for two years -- but both turned it down because they get more in handouts from the State.

David Lawlor, of Watermark Technology in Citywest, Dublin, and who owns the distribution rights to Gaggia commercial coffee machines in Ireland and the UK, was offering a job in maintenance for an annual wage of €28,000.

A person on the national minimum wage of €7.65 an hour would earn €15,912.

First,the businessman offered the position to a Romanian national who has been living here for a number of years. But he quit after just one day.

"He's married, with kids, and is renting," said Mr Lawlor, adding that the man qualifies for multiple types of social welfare.

"He'd been working for a rival but had been let go two years ago. He started on the Tuesday and on the Wednesday he said he felt he was entitled to more money.

"He said he'd get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor had pointed out to the man that he could also earn overtime, at one-and-a-half times the rate, as well as have the use of a company van for incidental personal use.

"A lot of these guys are handy, so they do nixers; they have that on top of their dole."

The following week Mr Lawlor offered the job to a Filipino national, who, he said, had the skills required and had done the "best ever interview". He had been living here for several years, had four children and drove an "06 or 07 car".

During the interview Mr Lawlor -- who employs 10 people -- discovered the man had been involved in an industrial dispute with his previous company and had been unable to find another job.

"He was in a situation where no one would give him a job. But I figured that I would be able to manage the situation because I work very closely with my employees.

"But he went home and the next day he called and told me his wife said they would get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor said he was frustrated that, despite receiving almost 300 CVs and offering the job twice, he still could not find someone.

Secure

"It's a good job, it's secure, and it's well over the minimum wage. Yet we can't fill it.

"We've got people here who don't want to work, they don't want to be worse off (than on the dole)."

He said the new Government must tackle the issue for the sake of the economy.

"There are politicians here but they're not living in the real world where there are real problems. And until they fix those problems, we're going to go nowhere.

''If anybody out there is listening, I want them to know this is a real issue."

Figures supplied by the Revenue show that a single person earning €28,000 would net €23,565.36 with basic tax credits. This would rise to €23,924.88 for a medical card holder as they would pay 4pc Universal Social Charge (USC).

A married person on the same salary would have additional credits and would take home €25,215.36, rising to €25,574.88 if they hold a medical card and pay the reduced USC of 4pc.

The USC for non-medical card holders is 7pc for all earnings over €16,016.

And some people still don't think this country is fecked.
are you on incapacity mate for mental health issues if not get straight down to your doctor:proud:

sticky, i dont know if this is a tongue in cheek post, but the last job i went for an interview for was 11 years ago. 3,500 applied, narrowed down to 1,800 who had tests, narrowed down to 100 for interview all for 25 jobs on offer. i was one of the lucky ones. but goes to show that the only easy jobs to get are the jobs that pay below poverty.
do agree that dole should be a short term fix though, no-one should be able & unemployed long term. if people were made to do something to earn their handout, it would encourage them to take the lower paid jobs with top ups !!
no easy answer though, because if the unemployed did have to do something to earn the money, it would probably have a knock on effect & cause some poor bugger to be redundant because of it.

Im not offended but I refuse to work untill I find a £300 a week job and I do try.

Work this one out

My Rent is exactly £100 for a crummy 2 bed upstairs flat all housing in Newcastle is expensive.

My Gas is £20
My Lecky £10
Gym once a week £5
Food is £30
Travel expenses £15
phone contract only £15 a month say £4 a week
Virgin media contract £30 a month tv phone internet say £7.50 a week

(So that's £100 £20 £10 £5 £30 £15 £4 £7.50 ) Just say £190 a week

Right now what If I want to buy my son something what happens if I want to go for a meal, save for a birthday and Christmas gifts.

At the moment I get £120 a week in benefits and my Rent is fully paid I also get to the gym for £2 as I am classed as Disabled. And I get my travel pass half price £7 a week.

After I pay all my bills and buy my food and stuff I normally have around £40 spare to spend on my son.

Over the last year I have managed to get a level 2 English a Level 2 Math's and a ECDL Certificate, Did it make a difference did it hell, the job centre were still trying to get me started back to work on minimum wage jobs,

The pay was £180 to £200 a week I worked it out and told them I could not afford to live. Work it out It,s a joke, They told me It was my flat that holds me back lol and suggested I should get in a lodger and rent a room.

I love working and everyday I keep my self busy either in my allotment are round the house I also do odd jobs for all my family and Neighbours.

So has anyone got a decent job for me let me know I will start today I am good at painting decorating, good cook, gardening, computer skills, hanging plasmas setting up home media, not bad with electrics.

On the down side I have been to prison and have a colour full past but I am still a very honest person and a good worker and turn my hand to anything.

Do I get the job ???? lmao do I fcuk but hey I can collect trolleys in asda for £180 a week :banana:

And pray tell who pays you all that, the poor feckers that go out and do the minimum wage jobs and pay taxes. I would have all able bodied out 20 hours a week in the community for an extra tenner in dole money "refuse to work" pftttttttttttttt.

Oh and p.s you shouldn't have enough for gym, mobile and tv broadband and homephone you should have enough to feed and clothe and thats it.

Last edited:
I do not refuse to work all I ask for is decent wage you try living on £180 a week these days its a joke.

And you get no help no kind of top up if you work more than 16 hours a week.

I do apply for normal jobs but I never even get a look in, simple fact is im not pushing trolleys for £180 a week and struggling to feed myself or give my kid £5 a week lol

ROOBARB

They are we have just had to pay an accountant £380 to check our tax returns for the last 6 years, all to be told we have underpaid by £2.10p.
No we are not a big multinational company, we just have a small rental property.

I have 2 properties for rental and it costs me £50 a year with my accountant. They will catch up with you if you have DSS.

My long post was a copy and paste from a newspaper, It was supposed to highlight the dole culture in Ireland.
Too many people over here are quite happy to life of the social for the rest of their lives.
A single man get €188 a week minimum, more like €350 when rent and other benifits are paid.
Family allowance here is €760 a month for four kids and guess what, they don't even have to live here. you could be from (insert country here) and have 10 kids back home, you are entitled to family allowance for them.

I have a Polish national that works for me, he just flew his 84 year father over so thathe can claim a pension over here.

and wait for it,
If you have a dog you can claim €12 per week for dog food, I have heard of people in the uk that dont have 12 quid to feed their own children.

rant over

very close freinds of mine are on benefits and have been for the past 12 years .they have 3 kids at home and 1 to the husbands previous relationship

years ago the man fell 150 foot and was seriously ill for a few years i remember seeing him in what looked like a climbing frame attached to his body

hes on approx 4 types of medication a day ,

i know what money he gets as ive collected it for him in the past .

hes on more money than me a week and i work full time .

he gets his rent paid ,council tax ,prescriptions,school dinners and still gets over 300 a week i know i have seen the post office receipts.

hes dreading the new reforms . if he goes back to work he will get less money for working plus he will have to pay over 100 pounds in child maintainance .
not his fault whenn his first wife pissed off.

i do feel sorry for him even though hes better off than me .he doesnt drink or take drugs and is always offering his help even though he cant help . he hates feeling useless

Back