Ideal Icos HE24 replacement advice

darren221980

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I currently have a Ideal Icos HE24 boiler in my house, i've been in this house 3 years in June so the boiler will be 10 years then so from what i understand with these boilers its had a good life.

Anyhow for the last two winters this boiler has had constant problems, usually with the L/F fault. The condense pipe gets blocked up and i was also told when i had British Gas quote me for a new boiler last summer that the condense pipe outside my house is in the wrong location and should be going direct into a drain or even a outpipe under my kitchen sink which is pretty much next to the boiler.

In the service i had last year i was told by Scottish Power that the boiler is beyond economical repair if any parts go on it again. And in the last month the L/F fault has returned which has so far been fixed by just holding the reset button for 2 seconds.

So i need to look at getting a replacement boiler especially before the winter months return. The house i live in is a 3 storey house, with a shower and 3 radiators on the top floor. The middle floor has a bath and 5 radiators while the bottom floor has 4 radiators. The current boiler sits inside a cupboard in my kitchen which may limit what replacement boiler i can actually have fitted. With the cupboard door shut the maximum depth any replacement boiler could be is 32cm, the height 75cm and the width 60cm.

The initial quote i had from BG last year was for a Glowworm Flexicom 18SX along with a horizontal flue terminal, internal condensate connection, connect boiler electrics & test, installation, flume displacement kit, install gas pipe work (22mm x 3mtrs length), pipe concealing kit, install hydroflow HS38 scale reducer, system water treatment and powerflush, install 22mm magnetic system filter, and finally Remote control heating. BG quoted £3606 for this work which i didn't have at the time and i wanted to get several quotes before getting a replacement anyway.

I'm due to inherit some money in the next few weeks so want to use some of it to get a replacement boiler fitted.

So my question is, is anyone in the know who can advise on some suitable replacements to go with for a new boiler?

Thanks,

Darren

Based on your post a replacement boiler should cost you about £1.5k? BG charge outrageous prices, a local Gas Safe guy will do you a better price.

My lad just had a boiler replacement at around £2k including changing from standard to combi which involves removing hot water tank and changing pipework to suit.

Get some more quotes M8 :)

Cost me 1600 a month or so ago for a replacement boiler, went from a 17 yo Alpha to Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 7 year warranty they are so small now compared to the old ones lol. I also considered an Intergas boiler would have cost me around £250 more and only 5 year warranty and also the Atag boiler as they have a built in pre heat but would have been about £500 more so went for the cheaper option.

I've had the following recommended to me so far:-

Ideal logic 35kw
ideal vogue 40kw

Both these come with 7 year warranty. The only thing is they are combi boilers and my current boiler is a system boiler with a storage tank for hot water.

I was under the impression that a combi boiler wouldn't be ideal for a 3 storey house, as the water pressure may not be any good for the shower on the 3rd floor. Is this correct or bs someone has told me?

With a combi all the water pressure is based on mains cold so it depends on how good your cold pressure is. You will see a reduction in pressure if using two showers etc but you would with a conventional system.

If you have a cold tap on the top floor does it flow okay? If so it's pretty likely your shower will be okay too. Mark it down to BS ;)

With a combi all the water pressure is based on mains cold so it depends on how good your cold pressure is. You will see a reduction in pressure if using two showers etc but you would with a conventional system.

If you have a cold tap on the top floor does it flow okay? If so it's pretty likely your shower will be okay too. Mark it down to BS ;)

Yep cold tap on top floor flows well. Combi boiler could give me some extra cupboard space as I won't have a need for the water tank in a bedroom cupboard anymore too.

I'll hopefully get a few quotes in the next week or so.

No quote for an ideal yet. Had a quote for a Worcester Bosch system boiler with a system flush for £1850 so far, due to get another two quotes this week.

I would go for a Vailant personally as Zad says. We got the 831 fitted last year and it works a treat, no issues and backed by a 7 year warranty. Our condensate pipe is routed inside to an internal drain so no chance of freezing.

TT

We used ratedpeople.com last year when we had central heated fitted. Had water heater taken out viessmann boiler and 5 rads installed. Boiler came with 10yr warranty and 5yr for the heat exchange.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've now put a request on the ratedpeople website too :)

I've decided against getting a combi boiler as we have two bathrooms and quite often have friends or family over so it may cause a problem when shower and bath trying to be used together for hot water. Thought may as well if i can go along with another system boiler to replace the one i already have.

The first Gas safe engineer that came out was an authorised Worcester Bosch installer so of course he recommended a boiler by them so that i could get a 7 year warranty too.

Back