I thought I had scalded myself. (BORING ALERT)

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Ran a bath for the baby earlier today.

I set the boiler to warm the water to a nice comfortable temp, not too hot and not too cold. Before I put the baby in the bath I always check the water temp (just incase) but each and every time the water temp is just perfect, so today I run the bath and plop my entire hand into the water.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Piercing, stinging pain shot through my hand and my hand withdrew by reflex in the blink of an eye.

I looked at my hand and it didn't look burnt, it was kinda red but not the sort of red it should have been if scalded.

It was only then that I realised that my hand was cold, icy cold.

What had happened was the boiler had failed and cold december water was filling my bath, the pain I could feel was from the unexpected icy cold water and my brain interpreted it as boiling water!

Weird innnit, I was 100% convinced I had just burnt my hand, yet it was the exact opposite.

Hot and cold are opposites yet IMO the pain from either is very similar.

My God, what a boring post this is.

Sorry.

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I thought I had scaled myself.

ice cold baths are great fun - just ask anyone in an orange jumpsuit

lol , the thread title is very intruiging ...scaled ??
but yeah your right .... its pretty borin lol

I thought that Scots were impervious to the cold.

I read the title and thought you were finally coming out as a reptilian.

what a fackin let down.

lol , the thread title is very intruiging ...scaled ??
but yeah your right .... its pretty borin lol

lol, well spotted :)

I've fixed the title.

Maybe I should put a BORING ALERT in the title too :)

I agree both Hot and Cold are the same pain feeling and nothing better than an Ice bath after a game of footy or in the summer

I've suddenly developed a greater appreciation of the pain that the Titanic victims must have went through.

I was once driving from my Brothers house in Cumbernauld to the village of Plains just outside Airdrie. I was taking the 'back roads' as it is a much shorter journey. I hit a patch of black ice and came off the road hitting a tree and flipping the car onto it's side and slid into a pond beside the road. I managed to get out easily but I was wringing wet. I was only wearig a T-shirt and it was deepest darkest December, the skies were clear, there was a layer of snow on the ground and it was the middle of the night. I had to walk a few miles before I got to a house. Once I arrived at the house my clothes were rock solid, they had frozen to my skin.

The thing is, that wasn't as painfull as me putting my hand into a cold bath!

I suppose I might have been in shock at the time or maybe full of adrenaline.

Last edited:

And now I know why Witchy has such a high post count.

Liam

Re: I thought I had scalded myself.

Weird innnit, I was 100% convinced I had just burnt my hand, yet it was the exact opposite.

There is a lot of scientific evidence explaining this occurrence. I will condense the extensive literature down for you.

You are an idiot.

I agree both Hot and Cold are the same pain feeling and nothing better than an Ice bath after a game of footy or in the summer

maybe mate but a hot bath don't leave your wedding tackle looking like a new born baby boy :proud:

Back