I need some advice guys problems at work!

Thats a bit harsh, how can you call someone a liar who you don't even know ? Thats well out of order

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have pulled back on that point. Consider it withdrawn. Sorry.

I still think he needs to buck up his ideas. This is not high school, it's the real world.

tell your boss you were in bed with his wife and could not phone in case he pressed 1471.

and he can stick his job up his ar*e.

he might kick the sh*t out of you but then you sue him and get him the sack.

you are right......we do not know this guy from Adam. is what he is tellin us true? yes we are here to help as much as we can. I do not run a business but I would want reliable people to communicate otherwise it lets down the team. As for criminal thats very unjust as an employer to say if it was said in any circumstances.

tell your boss you were in bed with his wife and could not phone in case he pressed 1471.

and he can stick his job up his ar*e.

he might kick the sh*t out of you but then you sue him and get him the sack.

Thats my kind of thinking lol !!!

Id have the bloke by the ball sack the first time he implied I was a criminal... let alone having him repeat it. but then im not a very tolerable person lol
Id go the head office route mate and have the bloke for harassment or whatever they deem it to be, he never has the right to call you a thief or a criminal unless he has hard evidence... and then he can only inform the police for them to deal with it.
Seems to me the manager thinks because hes a manager he has godly powers.... he don't, hes the same as you... just paid more to do slightly more (although most managers ive met do a damn sight less than the staff).

What store is it mate ?

Whilst I agree that c9679 and witchy2k1 are worse than Hitler (joke), if I managed a maplins, and someone has been frequently ill, then not turned in and refused to offer any excuse (however vague), I would be pissed too.

Ive been called a tyrant before by some workers however as soon as I gave them a couple of lashes and stopped paying them they changed their attitude :)

Wow

Some employers obviously feel that they are the re-incarnation of the lord god himself. " employees to work for the good of the company" thats laughable, why should employees work for the good of someone else's business, surely they are working for their own business, the business of making money, just like an employer, mad isn't it. Work hard the company is better so the employee gets more, pmsl, yeah right.

LMAO, its that kind of attitude why so many businesses fail and why a lot of companies employ foreigners... lol thats got to be the silliest thing I have ever heard, "why should employees work for the good of someone else's business" you are employeed by the business to do your job that job is to the benefit of the business thats the point of working and having a job... If your not working for the good of the business, selling top secret company documents on the side etc or just not turning up then why would you keep getting paid or why would they need you?

Aye. I will ask for net aliases on upcoming application forms, and weed out 'yoinker' from any potential candidates.

Now, where is my SS hat...

Aye. I will ask for net aliases on upcoming application forms, and weed out 'yoinker' from any potential candidates.

Now, where is my SS hat...
on the hook next to the bag with your strike breaking gear.

Ta.

Right you horrible lot, lick my boots clean.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have pulled back on that point. Consider it withdrawn. Sorry.

Good stuff :)

I still think he needs to buck up his ideas. This is not high school, it's the real world.

I would agree 100% with you there mozr ;)

i work in retail management and it is a very common problem concerning staff who drop out of shifts with little warning and sometimes without any

you have a staff handbook and i suggest you read it, it states that unauthorized absence can be considered disciplinary action

you should make sufficient effort to ring in on the first day of absence and explain why you are ill giving as much notice as possible

as fas as i am concerned he has done things by the book, he has done a return to work meeting upon your returning from absence and has documented the reasons as to why your ill, i.e personal problems

most companies do not allow repeated absence, ie 3 consecutive absences in like a few months to go un noticed

i know tescos will sack you if you go off sick for more than a day with no valid reason if you have been there less than a year - other companies play it safe and do it by the book

you have to look at the bigger picture tbh m8, absence from work is a massive problem and if there is no sort of structure and procedure to limit absence then everyone would do it, imagine the loss of sales as a result of people not bothering to turn up, dont worry about being sacked your company will close down lol

you also have to remember that by you dissapearing and not turning up that someone else has to do your shift and it is not very pleasant if someone has been there all day and expects to go home to find out you havent turned up

personally if i was your line manager and this was your 3rd absence in like 2 months and you didnt bother ringing in then i would issue you with a first written warning, non of this criminal bollox, no shouting at, give you 3 working days notice and get you in for a meeting and tell you that your on the disciplinary ladder and if you do it again then you will be on a final written warning

repeated absence without proper reason and without notifying your boss will lead to your dismissal

and it wont look to good when looking for another job and they find out your attendance is poor and your were dsmissed for continual absence

if you have been at maplin for less than 12months then you havent got a leg to stand on if they just sack you outright considering your attendance record, you cant claim unfair dismissal and it is hardly constructive dismissal as you brought it on yourself

unless your black and have a disability and have 3 kids and female then you have no rights whatsoever

I like the bit about the being in bed with the boses wife...that does happen lol.
It is common politenes to phone in sick even if you cannot get to a phone straight away try to phone anyway you can ...how sick were you?

I also agree with the comment that some managers do nothing at all...which does not give encouragement for a good practice and team work. I also worked for tescos and management left much to be desired thinking that us shop workers we low level workers I was always having issues with them being a union rep and health and safey rep.
Go to the citizen advice office or speak to someone about the criminal matter.

How can anyone expect to be in their boss's good books if they don't turn up for work, don't inform them and don't provide an explanation for their absence?

If i ran a business then I would prob do the same thing....but a verbal warning first, or if it continued instant dismissal....so dont work for me haha

I also agree your the victim of your own deeds, your not tellin me in this day and age that you (or someone else for that matter) could not have phoned in. It would have saved all the hassle with your boss, as for what was said between you forget it, there were no witnesses and Maplins will take his side rather than yours, so lick your wounds, take it like a MAN and go look for another job.

I also agree your the victim of your own deeds, your not tellin me in this day and age that you (or someone else for that matter) could not have phoned in. It would have saved all the hassle with your boss, as for what was said between you forget it, there were no witnesses and Maplins will take his side rather than yours, so lick your wounds, take it like a MAN and go look for another job.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :Clap:

your lucky to have a job .. now grow up and get on with it .. l would of sacked up on the spot ..

your lucky to have a job .. now grow up and get on with it .. l would of sacked up on the spot ..
At least I tried to be a tad more tactfull smirnoff PMSL
@geeuk, is the problem you had too personal to tell us here on DW so we can maybe understand a bit better ???

Back