I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabit? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

Re: I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabyte? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

To use opendns with the superhub in router mode, just set the opendnd IP addresses in your PC and not the superhub (well you can't any way).

To get the best speed all your equipment needs to have gigabit ports, like the pc's etc.

Mine was going rather slow today cos I was downloading a lot.

Well that's got to be a winner then! (Thanks for that with the Open DNS settings then so if I go back to using it as a router/modem I'll change them on the PC/Laptop etc.) any ideas what to look at please? or search egay for etc.

Hmm. I don't have a VM phone line.

ah, there was an activation web page supposedly but I could not get that to work and that's when I retreated to the telephone number. PM on the way.

So I guess I'll need gigabyte switches and the router as was posted along with some cable....network upgrade time! So as long as I get any thing that has "gigabit switch" in it's heading?

Just read the reviews back for the cisco and it's saying 10/100 which is the same as this linksys I have?

I'm right in thinking that they should be 10/100/10000 Base-T ? and have Gigabit some where in there speeds.

I suppose I have a choice, install a new router and switches, seems daft if the virmin one will do the speeds and it was just the switches, existing cable that is letting me down, which it is...I can't decide on what to do. Go back to router mode and install some new switches, stay the same and get new wi-fi router and new switches, maybe I'll have a play over the weekend.

Last edited:

You also have to make sure that the network cards in your PC's or equipment is also gigabit compatible, or 10/100/1000 base-T. Most pc's have been for a couple of years and the PS3.

WRT 320n is mine... is that what i put earlier?!?!? lol

EDIT: no i didn't lol!!! mine is the 320n, DEFO gigabit with WRT (designed for it)

OK Thanks mate, I've decided what I'm going to do for the time being as I get much better wi-fi from the new modem so I've changed it back to a modem/router. So I think what I'll do is get me self a gigabit switch a five port one for here and also an 8 port one for next door and then a length of cat5e or cat5 what ever I can get my hands on then that way there all wired straight to the new modem which has gigabit ports on it so in theory I should then get much better speeds around the place via the lan.

Thanks mate again.

Thanks mate that will be great, and I'm sure I have an 8 gigabit bit switch at work as well that I can swap over, might be able to do this whole network thing a lot cheaper! then just some more cat5e or cat6

OK ordered me self a 5 port gigabit (10/100/1000) and an 8 port gigabit switch (10/100/1000) some cat5e cable, some crimpers and some ends....happy days.

(Just pulled the 5 port netgear and the 8 port netgear switch out 10/100) was hoping that we'd have a spare one here at work but nada!

I should have had some proper switches in a long time ago, I see the PS3 has gigabit but the 360 ain't....not that it matters, I wonder what the revo has? Hope that's got a gigabit network card in it.

Think I'm definitely going to be looking for a router with DD-WRT on it and also gigabit speeds on it's ethernet, could kick me self that of all the networks and the like that I've played with, messed on with and broken (oh yes there's been a lot of them) that I was sitting here in the dark ages with old kit!

speed.jpg

here's the old one........

29-01-201221-56-57-2.jpg

I'll have to say goodbye to the old router then......poor thing........

linksys-1.jpg

Think I'm going to go for a
[h=1]Netgear WNR3500L 4-Port GIGABIT Router WiFi 300Mbps[/h]

Last edited:

Did you get the Netgear WNR3500L 4-Port GIGABIT Router WiFi 300Mbps what do you think.

Have read the full thread and it has inspired me to also check all my cables and switches etc so now upgrading

Yeah mate, have a read HERE (post no.10 is interesting)

Just waiting for the switches, dam seller told me "same day dispatch" so pulled out all mine and sold them expecting the new switches to be here and there not.

Any questions then just shout.

Dibbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

To use opendns with the superhub in router mode, just set the opendnd IP addresses in your PC and not the superhub (well you can't any way).

To get the best speed all your equipment needs to have gigabit ports, like the pc's etc.

Mine was going rather slow today cos I was downloading a lot.

isoCapture.JPG

Just wanted to mention, if you also set the RIP version to 1 like I have then you should get even faster speeds.

RIP Direction:
RIP (Routing Information Protocol, RFC1058 and RFC1389) allows a router to exchange routing information with other routers. The RIP Direction selection controls how the router sends and receives RIP packets. Both is the default.

When set to Both or Out Only, the router will broadcast its routing table periodically

When set to Both or In Only, it will incorporate the RIP information that it receives.

RIP Version:
This controls the format and the broadcasting method of the RIP packets that the router sends. (It recognizes both formats when receiving.) By default, this is set for Disabled

RIP-1 is universally supported. RIP-1 is probably adequate for most networks, unless you have an unusual network setup.

RIP-2 carries more information. Both RIP-2B and RIP-2M send the routing data in RIP-2 format.

RIP-2B uses subnet broadcasting.

RIP-2M uses multicasting.

ripspeed.jpg

rip2.jpg

That's it's burst, settles down to about 90 meg to 120 meg with RIP1 Enabled. (Still figuring out as I only have one router now but it has increased the speed over the LAN maybe because I put some new switches)

:cool:

Last edited:
Back