I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabit? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

OK my linksys router that has served me well is on it's way out, nothing wrong with it, just it isn't cutting the mustard as to speak with data transfer. it's an old one running DD_WRT

Can any one recommend a replacement, some thing that will be able to cope with faster data transfer, like a gigabyte switch/wi-fi solution?

I want to be able to run some cat5 between rooms and get better data transfer, things are getting more and more interlinked with each other and it's becoming a pain running at them speeds here in the lab.

I guess I'm also after some cat5 rather than cat5e (cat5e is probably going to be the min should I upgrade the router)

Thanks

P.s I do have a virmin super hub coming today but I would imagine that it's going to be the same when set to router/modem mode? (I liked the DD-WRT software but a change is as good as a rest)

Last edited:
Re: I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabyte? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

Thanks for that mate, so you can have DD-WRT on there then, cool? and that will achieve the results that I'm looking for with data transfer as it's not mentioned in the advert.

The virmin super hub ain't here at the minute so I'm wondering if that has the capabilities of what I'm after? Just waiting for it to be delivered, but that was just going to get changed to a modem and disable the router properties, how ever the current linksys is going to have to go me thinks, been a great router like, could not fault it like.

Thanks

i'd test the superhub first, see how it goes before splashing any cash out. i know it's getting a bad rep at the moment, but i suppose it depends what you use it for. the superhub has gigabit networking for the wired stuff around the house so that should be fine - as long as all the devices on the network at gigabit for best results. most issues people seem to mention are the external port forwarding

Yeah I've read and seen most of the people's problems and the like, I suppose I just have to wait until it gets here and then I'll be able to have a play with it.

Thanks very much for the advice.

If the new super hub has Gigabit networking then happy days. I'll have a mess on when it arrives. (I have 2 switches which are netgear 100/10 one here in the lab and one next door)

Thanks again.

Yeah I've read and seen most of the people's problems and the like, I suppose I just have to wait until it gets here and then I'll be able to have a play with it.

Thanks very much for the advice.

If the new super hub has Gigabit networking then happy days. I'll have a mess on when it arrives. (I have 2 switches which are netgear 100/10 one here in the lab and one next door)

Thanks again.

I've got one at home, waiting to plug it in and activate it but I've heard bad things about them. Like port forwarding not working.

I plan to use mine just as a modem but I've heard there are problems with that too. I hope it isn't true :(.

me too mate, That's what got me all worried before I decided to upgrade and then I thought that I'd just set it to modem mode and away she goes, I too hope it isn't as bad as what I've read.

Then that's when I realised that it's probably time I upgraded the router with it's bottle neck transfer speeds.....just waiting for it coming....tik...tok......tik....tok

they'll bottle neck anything in there down to 100mb

Then that's when I realised that it's probably time I upgraded the router with it's bottle neck transfer speeds.....just waiting for it coming....tik...tok......tik....tok

I got an anonymous text telling me my tracking number. Had to search to find out that it was the Home Delivery Network (HDNL).

Text told me between 10:03 and 13:03 on Friday.

It arrived on Monday after being driven around for ten hours on the Friday.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/279456/
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/280186/

My SB5100 has been great for years, I don't like change :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah well there's no point me hanging around then as I have had no text and even on the web site it just keeps telling me to check back and when it's in transit I'll be able to track it (all most like it had a GPS device in it) would seem that it's not going to be the case then.

My SB too has been a trusty companion...I will miss her....

Going to make a cup of coffee then and have a read, Thanks mate and here's to hoping, they too say it will be delivered with the same company, all ready put me on the back foot with it and it isn't even here yet...lol

It's got a blue light on the front that goes purple in modem mode, apparently.

Thanks, I'm going to see what it's like in modem/router mode 1st off and see what it's like with port forwarding etc.. , I was all excited there as thinking that I'd also be able to increase the lan speeds around the place and also faster downloads, but reading about the port woes I'll just have to see my self.

It would be nice to leave it as a modem and then go for a better wi-fi gigabit router, but If I don't need it and it'll work then happy days, killing two birds with one stone. Means I could get rid of the linksys and have the "super hub" doing all I need.

Guess I'll have to wait and see....

Thought it was there for a second but all it was, was a bill from vodafone and "furniture at work" magazine! (I must get onto them as they won't stop sending me mail!)

aha! it's here! right cup of coffee and I'll catch you all on the flipside.....BRB.....

aha! it's here! right cup of coffee and I'll catch you all on the flipside.....BRB.....

Hmm, I got a text and no modem. You got the opposite.

Let us know how you activate it, whether you need to speak to someone or not. I hope not...

If we don't hear from you I'll assume it's went very wrong, they cut your old one off and can't activate your new one and you're waiting for an engineer to come out :).

Thank god I didn't have to speak to some one and it was all automatic, cool, activated. (That's what was putting me off!)

I've changed the LAN IP back to what the old linksys was (192.168.1.1) and just going to make a cup of coffee and then I'll have a little play with torrents and the like...

All up and running so far though....watch this space..!

Damn, and I was composing your post.

No one can quite remember when Dibbers was last seen on the forum. He mentioned something about making coffee and never returned...

skeleton-waiting3.jpg

lol! I like it.....

OK I have changed everything back to replicate the old linksys (So SSID and the like all the same so all my wi-fi devices just connect without having to mess on)

Only thing I can't seem to do is give my devices a static IP address I normally use the network settings under each device to assign a static IP address? ...mmmmmmmmmm

Can't seem to change the DNS settings either, I wanted it to use OpenDNS....?

Looks like I have to use theirs...

WANPrimary DNS194.168.4.100
WANSecondary DNS194.168.8.100

I'll keep looking....

Last edited:

I use the superhub in modem/router mode and have had no problems since upgrading last year. Never had problem port forwarding, we have 4 pc's running and it forwards the proper ports to the right pc, fot the ftp etc... Always get a good speed on the newsgroups, I wont touch torrents.

Data throughput internally is also very good. I do a lot of transferring large ISO files around and they always seem quick.

I use openDNS without problems, but set on the pc and not the router. I have the openDNS client running on the server and it updates the external IP to them (not that it changes).

I also use dyndns without problems (for the FTP), again I use the dyndns client on the server and it also updates the external IP to them.

All pc's & ps3, Wii, CCTV, Android phone, tablet, IP camera's, have static IP's in the router. It's in the Lan IP section of the router and DHCP reserve, you can give each MAC address a static IP.

I use WPA2-PSK and MAC filtering to secure the Wireless side.

I use the guest network to allow visitors to use my wifi without letting them on my network and see my stuff.

Last edited:

Thanks very much for that, I've had to enable 802.11 mode and set to 54mbps for the wi-fi stuff that I have, (It must be old!) to get a connection. This isn't the end of the world as it's cool it still works! just a shame I can't have it in blistering fast mode.

Thanks for the heads up on the static IP addresses, I'm used to doing them "either/or"? so i'll just give them static IP addresses on the modem instead of the device it's self.

I have openDNS Updater v2.2.1 running on the lap top and have configured it in the dashboard of open dns to enable it but I can't get it to work? I was always used to pointing the DNS servers in the Linksys to the DNS settings at OpenDNS.

I've been reading and also as you have suggested then it does work.

I'll have another look.

Everything seems OK at the minute.....

Are you going to try modem only option and existing router Dibbers?

Also try something that uses a different port.

Is your old modem still working?

Back