I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabit? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

Re: I need a new Wi-Fi Router? 100 Gigabyte? Faster Transfer Speeds [SuperHub]

Well the plan was that if this was going to be capable of faster data transfer to and from the lab then I was just going to let it stay as it is, Modem/Router.

For the benefit of the tape the old modems been knocked offline, just tried that for you but was to be expected ;)

Think I might have to have a look see what's what, maybe stick the linksys back in as I'm only getting 5mbps transfer now to next door equipment using the same leads as I had in place for the linksys, but this might be down to them not being cat5 ? and just cat5e and the like?

and everything else is working as well *nudge* *nudge* happy days for your info......

Someone at work said their friend has one and ports always seem closed on it. I'm sure he said in modem mode too, what business it has meddling with ports in modem mode I don't know.

Yeah me either mate.

Right just need to get opendns to work and then it'll be happy days so far, What you think then, a piece of cat5 between rooms for faster data transfer?

Isn't cat5e the better of the two?

I thought it was the other way round,...lol, cat5e lower than cat5 ? can you buy the crimpers and the like for the ends? Don't want to be hacking cable apart and stripping it and wiring ends together and the like.

cat5e is the newer - if u can run wired, it's much more stable.

Still, you'll be limited with speed on those 100mb switches

OK thanks for that, Now running the router in modem mode with the trusty linksys attached to it....ah it feels much better...knowing what I know about it and the settings and the like.

Just off to try some stuff.....

Right, Data transfer is defo slower using the modem as a router, The exact same kit and I get 5mbps on the router and then if set to modem mode and connect to the linksys I get about 10 meg which is the same as where I was before I started, all though be it I do have a faster connection to the net.....

ah cat5e is the newer stuff, ok cool, I'm going to run that through the wall over the weekend then mate.

I guess I'll need to put some faster switches in then at both ends....

Has it got a management interface that's available from the external IP address?

Has it got a management interface that's available from the external IP address?

not as far as I can see.

31-01-201215-57-56.jpg

and here's the speeds I'm getting on sending an ISO or the like next door....

29-01-201221-56-57-2.jpg

Everything still A OK so far, and OpenDNS working.

Last edited:

ah yes it has......my bad...

31-01-201216-03-55.jpg

It would seem I have some cat6.! So i've got that from the modem to the linksys...and cat5 to the switch...looks like I'll have to replace the switches when I run a longer length from here to next door.

Last edited:

all though hang on a tic, I can't select that option when it's in "modem" mode..........

there would be nothing to do, it's only acting as a modem. you'd want to activate that on the linksys

ah yeah, any way I'm fine with it, I don't want to allow it. So cool my end mate. (I was just posting in relation to what was asked mate)

Thanks again.

Any ideas on a couple of switches? If i'm going to run some cat4e then I might as well get them bought.

If i'm going to run some cat4e then I might as well get them bought.

Think you need cat5e m8 lololol

lol, sorry mate, typo....

What details did you need to activate it Dibbers?

just had to key in my phone number and then it told me to wait a minute and then that was it, all automated. Activated within 5 minutes. couple of restarts.

not as far as I can see.

View attachment 63769

and here's the speeds I'm getting on sending an ISO or the like next door....

View attachment 63770

Everything still A OK so far, and OpenDNS working.

To use opendns with the superhub in router mode, just set the opendnd IP addresses in your PC and not the superhub (well you can't any way).

To get the best speed all your equipment needs to have gigabit ports, like the pc's etc.

Mine was going rather slow today cos I was downloading a lot.

isoCapture.JPG

just had to key in my phone number and then it told me to wait a minute and then that was it, all automated. Activated within 5 minutes. couple of restarts.

Hmm. I don't have a VM phone line.

Back