I might have been a victim of counterfeiting? NO,I HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF MICROS##T!

sausages1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All,
A mate of mine gave me an old Dell inspiron 5150 computer. He said, 'It's so slow I can't be doing with even switching it on'. So I had it off him and thought I would have a go to see if I could Speed it up so the kids could play their arcade games etc on it. I might have some time on the other pc without being pestered for 'on line time'.
Well he wasn't exagerating, you could easily sip a whole pint of beer and finish it before the old Dell could power up and get on line. It only had 256 mb of ram, a 12 gb hard drive.
I looked up it's spec and found it could have a 2gb ram and up to 120 gb hard drive. Then I bought a 2gb ram card for £22 and fitted it. It sped it up no end, l should have left it there, but 8gb of the 12gb of memory on the hard drive was already used. I bought an 80gb hard drive, found a clone programme on the internet which I downloaded. I fitted the new hard drive, put the clone disc in the d drive and used a ata to usb adapter and copied the old hard drive to the new hard drive. It worked, for a few hours then I started getting a box in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying, "You might have been a victim of counterfeiting". Click here to resolve. So I click there to resolve. It brings me to a microsoft site where the only option I'm given is to buy window 7 for $139. I phone up micros##t UK, I speak to a lady, give her the windows activation code.She verifies that it is genuine. She tells me that now I have to get an activation disc from Dell. 5 hours later the Dell switches of with a flashing curser top left corner of the screen, won't boot from either old or new hard drive. Can anyone help? Thanks

Re: I might have been a victim of counterfeiting? NO,I HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF MICROS##

This will be a motherboard/RAM/Hard Drive problem. First I would try putting the old hard drive back in to see if it boots. If it's the same, run a RAM checking program to see if that's ok. However I strongly suspect it has a failed motherboard. Can you see any blown capacitors or anything like that on the board?

Back