hyperterminal problem

gonna try and borrow a usb to 232 connector from work and try it over the weekend, it is from a kit in the science dept and i did not notice a driver with it, would i need one or could i download a generic one?

Dont think you will need a driver for XP, will install automatically!

TURN OFF CAPS LOCK......i had exactly the same problem...then realised it needs to be a lowercase p to make it go..caps lock on will not work.

TURN OFF CAPS LOCK......i had exactly the same problem...then realised it needs to be a lowercase p to make it go..caps lock on will not work.

cap lock def not on m8, have got a usb connection to try tomorrow as I am just in, straight out from work at 4pm for a leaving do for workmate so taking me all my time to type this...
will post how i get on with other connection and i will also try on lappy as well

well just tried usb to serial connection on lappy and getting exactly the same script coming up ending in "Console is Disabled by Vendor Profile"

well...to get that you must have the cable on correctly....so something is not activating the p but you say there is no problem with your caps lock on...this is just a pop shot, what about scroll lock and any other funky keyboard stuff ?....have you got a different lan you could try it on ?

def nothing on keyboard m8, i have double checked, i have now tried it on my lappy and 2 different network cards on desktop and getting same results all the time maybe modem is goosed although as i said in an earlier post it was from my brother-in-law when he moved house and it had been working ok then (subbed not ever flashed)
no matter if i press the "1", "2", or "p" in hyperterminal it just goes thru the same script

using just ethernet cable i can log into modem on 192.168.100.1 obviously no cable connection just now but i am stumped, think i will have to take kids flashed modem back for myself and give them my subbed 4 meg one as downloading seems so slow now after having the 20meg for ages

i used to have this problem then i bought a new max232 but that still didnt solve it but the probelm was that you dont need to connect the white coaxial cable just the ethernet, max 232 and the power and it should all run smoothly.

i used to have this problem then i bought a new max232 but that still didnt solve it but the probelm was that you dont need to connect the white coaxial cable just the ethernet, max 232 and the power and it should all run smoothly.

no coax cable connected m8 just power, max232 and ethernet

sounds to me like the chip on the rs232 has blown and u need a new 1 sempi,, sorry to put a dampner on things

sounds to me like the chip on the rs232 has blown and u need a new 1 sempi,, sorry to put a dampner on things

no problem m8, does anyone know of a way to test before i buy another one or if they are prone to blowing as i have only used this on 1 modem round about april/may last year and that was it till i tried it on this modem

no problem m8, does anyone know of a way to test before i buy another one or if they are prone to blowing as i have only used this on 1 modem round about april/may last year and that was it till i tried it on this modem

i have 3 r232 leads and 2 of them went the way yours has , (1 after just 1 modem)
does ure rs232 have a cradle where u can lift and replace the chip or is it soldered in

i have 3 r232 leads and 2 of them went the way yours has , (1 after just 1 modem)
does ure rs232 have a cradle where u can lift and replace the chip or is it soldered in

looks soldered in john, i have just pm'd wayneboy asking him to have a read at the thread to see if he thinks it is knackered and if so i will just order another one save all this hassle

looks soldered in john, i have just pm'd wayneboy asking him to have a read at the thread to see if he thinks it is knackered and if so i will just order another one save all this hassle

i got the 1 im using at mom. from him, but i got him to put a cradle on mine and ordered some extra chips from him so if any blew(which they have exactly like yours , nothing when press p) i could just swap them over, saves hassle

i got the 1 im using at mom. from him, but i got him to put a cradle on mine and ordered some extra chips from him so if any blew(which they have exactly like yours , nothing when press p) i could just swap them over, saves hassle

thanks for that john i may just do the same

Got the same problem, using USB to Serial to a MAX232 from TMC.

I get all the text scrolling through on modem boot ending in "Console is Disabled by Vendor Profile". At boot there is actually a 2 sec pause after "Enter '1', '2', or 'p'" and as soon as I press any key it start to scroll through to the disable message.

I enabled the "echo typed characters locally" setting on Hyperterminal which shows characters typed on keyboard are getting through to the terminal. The TMC MAX232 is brand new, if the chip is faulty would I still see types characters in Hyperterminal.

I double-checked all the connections were correct using the diagram in the Haynes manual as TMC uses different colours. All connections are in the correct order.

Is it possible some of the 250s just won't flash?

If anyone is following this, connected to a Desktop PC without the USB to Serial lead and I can now access the modem. So it's either a dodgy USB lead or drivers that came with it.

So I could see the text from the modem, just not able to enter the P. Without USB lead it's worked first time.

just gets worse!!!

i had contacted wayneboy to get his opinion on whether max232 was blown or not, he said to try out on another modem, i did not want to try on subbed modem (not flash it just see if i could get into it after pressing "p") so i have just tried my kids flashed modem (ambit 250) when i pressed p it started going thru loads of scrips saying scanning ?? on ?????????? it was doing this for ages so i just closed hyperterminal and disconnected modem, but now the kids have no internet access at all!!! have i somehow bricked their modem?

update - just powered it back on and it is working? only at about 1meg though, was 20meg before but at least it is working

Last edited:
have managed to flash modem now..:Clap::Clap:..got a new chip from maplins for max232 and got it going.....but.....i am using the ambit config tool to set it up and have tried loads of macs but no joy yet, my dhcp server address is staying at 192.168.100.1 although i am inputing it into config tool and ticking box to force update
is this just because the macs i am using are not any good and if i do get a good mac the dhcp server address will change??

Last edited:
as long as u select the right area and enter the correct tftp ip, mac address and config file name on the ambit tool, then if ur in Telewest if u go to the 192.168.100.1 and login to the infinite then go connection status page should see DS and US freq. locked. and operational everywhere else with cm-20480-768 as ur config file... now if ur seeing WAITING FOR TFTP then ur tftp ip is wrong, if u see WAITING FOR DHCP OFFER thats means ur mac is no good and if u see Upstream parameter acquired and it stays that way that means no upstream signal or the upstreams power level is very low, check the feed and f-connector for faults (upstream powerlevel need to be @ lease 40dbmv to work properly) and if bootstate progress unknown or or connectivity state not syncronized its either ur config file is incorrect or DS freq. (ur area freq.) is incorrect or u have no signal( check ur feed and f-connectors for and faults)

If your in NTL area it would be the same as above except if the mac is no good everything on the connection status will say operational but the Configuration file will either say noserv or unreg and in some cases not say anything @ all and give u a config filename but u wont able to gain access to the web

Back