Hardware HP WHS about to die

bonter

Member ++
Reaction score
I got a HP WHS that is about to give up, I keep getting HDD errors due to it over heating if I turn it off and leave it for a while it all comes good again? I have now turned it off and do not want to risk turning it back on until I have something else to copy everything on it to. This server has been my only method of back ups for at least 10 years and has been so reliable that I have down loaded all my movies and music files to it and have no other copies. My question is what can I replace it with? I would like 4 hot swappable drives 1x music 1x movies 1x photos and 1x software so they can be shared between approx. 5 computers and at least 2 streaming devises "ie ps3 and sunvision box" and also I can take out one disk and insert another to make a back up of my back up if you know what I mean.

Personally I'd go with a hp microserver but the drives aren't hot swap so depends if that's a must

Have a look at the QNAP TS-412 or Synology DS414. Alternatively you could build a FreeNAS box based around Icy Dock's FatCage MB154SP-B or MB155SP-B.

Either way populate with WD Red or Seagate NAS hard disks.

Another vote for the HP Microserver. The drives are caddy mounted but not hotswap.

Note there is a model change happening with the microserver, you may be able to get hold one of the outgoing models N54L cheap but £100 cashback seems to have ended. The new one is much much more powerful but its double the price.

Like the look of the Qnap and the Synology but need to find out more about the email server any links to good info pages I can read up on?

if its just overheating causing problems open it up and clean the heatsinks / fans etc youd be suprised how much gunk they gather and how much that effects temps!
is it in a ventilated area?

Thanks pr0nub sorry for the delay in re-plying but that worked a treat put the dyson on the vents and then gave it a blast with a air compresser worked a treat

Back