HP Microserver N54L now has cashback offer

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
HP have started £100 cashback offer again on the N54L microserver again which should bring it down to below £100.

Amazing price for a very versatile bit of kit. About as small as you are going to get for a 4 (potentially 6) hard drive device. Quite and low power consumption.

Fully capable of being a NAS unit or even use a PC or streaming device with the addition of a £30 video card.

Make you buy from a UK supplier, check if they are supporting cash back deal as HP won't honour grey European imports.

Just ordered one from ebuyer,

HP ProLiant G7 N54L 2.2GHz MicroServer | Ebuyer.com

Its listed as £210 inc delivery, use promo code n54l for a tenner off and then apply for £100 cashback once you have an invoice. HP usually take around 4 weeks to send a cheque.

Also of course you can use your usual cashback sites as well.

Also should mentioned this BIOS mod,

Award & AMI Bios mod requests. - Page 4085

Allows all six SATA ports to operate with ACHI potentially giving 24TB of storage using 6 x 4TB disks.

Also adds 2.2. SLIC allowing DAZ loader to activate all versions of Windows without the need for a boot loader (making it undetectable) including Win7, Win8, W2K12 server and WHS.

Misco.co.uk is cheapest I have found....£86 after cashback (+ delivery) but still under £100 total

Misco.co.uk is cheapest I have found....£86 after cashback (+ delivery) but still under £100 total

Do you have a link I can only find the N40L and think it might be an older model, but I also can't seem to get there site to search correctly?

Regards
Mick

O wow they have sold out or taken it off...I literally ordered it last night, I might have got the last one! It's arriving tomorrow.

Typical they would run out of stock, right towards end of offer, sorry about that Mick

MSFREENDUK

Use that code for free delivery on serverplus.com

Cashback offer back on, this time £50 instead of a £100 but still a cracking price. £130 delivered.

HP ProLiant G7 N54L 2.2GHz MicroServer- Ebuyer | Ebuyer.com
just about too buy 1 of these to run plex and use as a nas device, does anyone know which is the best and reasonably priced ram for this model, i might aswell put the 8gb in, also can i add anything else to it, apart from the hard drives, i plan on putting a small ssd in as the OS drive then fill it up with maybe 3tb drives in a raid for redunancy.

anybody any advice who has one of these.

also can anyone recommend a low profile hdmi card for this please, iv got no clue at all.

heres what iv come up with in my basket, does all this seem ok guys, and more too the point will it all work, i think it will after googling around abit, but would like some confirmation if possible before i order, thanks.

hp.JPG

Last edited:
I noticed only 2 drives on order -- are you going to raid them or just strip and hope for non failure -- raid would be mirror so losing 3Tb (ouch).
If i remember there is another sata port on the motherboard and people use a 2.5 drive in the dvd rom bay and use the four drive bays just for data drives .

yeah my plan is too use a 2.5 ssd in the top bay, as far as raid iv never actually setup a raid array before but yes thats my plan, as everyone iv a load of photo's and stuff built up over the years which id be gutted if i lost because of drive failure, if there is another way to do this but with more drives or something id like to know, it must also be cost effective as im already sort of over my price i had in my head, lol!

EDIT: iv just had a look in my cupboard and found x2 500gb drives which i could raid/mirror for my photo's alone, so that would take up 2 bays, the other 2 would be used just for media files, ie, films, series, and music, which if the worst happened and a drive failed, yes id be gutted, but wouldnt mind too much as they can all be replaced, whereas the photo's cant, so what would you think is the best way to do things.

Last edited:
That GFX card is fine, same one I use. Make sure you get low profile bracket with it which I think you do from eBuyer.

There was an issue of unbuffered vs buffered memory but I think you should be fine.

RAID wise, mirroring is built into motherboard. If you want to use the top bay for sata then you will need a 2.5" to 5.25" bracket and a molex to SATA power convertor and a 60cm SATA data lead. Routing is quite tight internally so just take it easy, especially removing the SATA cable from the motherboard.

And finally RAID will protect you against disk failure but not O/S failure or things like recent malware which encrypted data files. so make sure you have a second copy on an external drive or cloud.

Back