How do you connect XBMC from PC with wifi card?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically I got a pc which connects to my wireless network with a wifi card and I want to connect the xbox (xbmc) to the ethernet connection so it can also connect to the network?

I dont have any spare routers or switches and im sure there is a way of doing it but just cant remember.

Basically I got a pc which connects to my wireless network with a wifi card and I want to connect the xbox (xbmc) to the ethernet connection so it can also connect to the network?

I dont have any spare routers or switches and im sure there is a way of doing it but just cant remember.

You can do this but it isn't the easiest setup in the world.

I think you would need to allow the ethernet connection to go through your wireless connection, bridge the ethernet and wireless connections together and then assign an address to the xbox that is on the same range as the bridge IP range.

You would also need a cross over cable

The easiest option would be to buy a wireless bridge that will connect to you wireless network and allow you to plug ethernet devices into

Any links to cheapish but decent wireless bridges? I already have a Linksys WGA 54G I use for the xbox downstairs which works great but it was very pricey at the time.

I thought of that but the wifi card connects to my wireless router so running it in adhoc will stop the from connecting to the internet and and other networked pcs

You can still use a wireless adaptor:) and set it up as a normal wireless network. Thats the way I used to do it:)

So what would I do?

In the PC there is a wifi adapter which connects to my router assigned by DHCP:
IP 192.168.1.8
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

There is a ethernet card which I manually configured to:
IP 192.168.1.30

Connected to xbox using ethernet cable then manually configured the xbmc dash to:
IP 192.168.1.31

But the PC shows the ethernet card as disconnected? What am I doing wrong?

Yep using cross over cable... do the settings look right?

Appear to be OK on the face of it, but normally you would have a 2nd card on a different subnet. but that would not stop the connection as showing disconnected.

Make sure you dont have 2 Ethernet ports on your PC and you are plugged into the wrong one, as my PC has 3

Only has one ethernet port might have to try a few ethernet cables as I have no way of telling whether is a x-over or straight

Iv got a Linksys WAP54G sitting here doing nothing totally forgot I had it, I think that should do the trick

Another switch DOH! I thought I could bridge it with my WRT54GS and just whack the ethernet into the WAG and XBOX will have to do some testing on weekend or something

Back