How do i add access point to my wireless network

Exclusive

DW Regular
Reaction score
Any ideas

I have the virgin media router but the range doesnt always work in the kitchen.

I have a belkin access point, a friend gave it to me so no instructions or anything.

What do i do ?

Thanks

Hi m8 what is the model of your belkin access point.

Im looking into this my self now and It does look daunting in the manual is there a dummies guide for this.

Like even some simple instructions and steps them manuals are just terrible to follow.

Access the access point via your browser,

give it a fixed ip address in the same range as your current network setup.

Somwhwre in the access point setup up there will be a mac address assign page, get the mac address from your router and put that in.
There will be a similar page on your router, get the mac address of your acccess point and put that into your router, reboot both and it should work

Not sure what you guys are advising but the first question is have you run a ethernet cable from your router to somewhere near your kitchen ?

Also if you can't get it working the simplest solution to extending wifi is to get homeplug with a built-in wireless point. One plug goes to your router, the other plug goes in your kitchen. Switch on, configure wireless security and its working.

My set up,
wireless router in attack,
Wireless access point half way down the house were signal is ok.
Wirless access point conects to my router and fires the signal further down the house were the router cant reach
when i am down that end of the house i turn on my laptop it connects to access point which is connected to my router.

My set up,
wireless router in attack,
Wireless access point half way down the house were signal is ok.
Wirless access point conects to my router and fires the signal further down the house were the router cant reach
when i am down that end of the house i turn on my laptop it connects to access point which is connected to my router.

OK, so you are using your access point as a wireless extender. Had a quick look at descriptions. v1 can't be used as an extender, v2 can.

Im getting the just of it now, cheers lads looks like I need to spend a day the morra sorting it out, it is daunting though I just wanna make it tidy lol

Back