How can I advertise my business?

as stupid as this may sound

facebook is great for advertising.

you can do it for free by jus starting up a group and adding lots of ppl to it then their friends know about you etc etc

alternatively you can buy a targeted advert very cheap

A website with your portfolio would be a good start mate.

Easy mate, offer some free designs and maybe prints to some local organisations or firms. Put your company name and/or website and/or number somewhere in a "Designed and printed by:" caption on the artwork.

With that, you will have them sending out their marketing/promotional material to their customers and your name will be circulated. Also, you will be able to show off that you have big name clients using your service when really you gave them your services for free.

I think you should jsut do design, not print, lol coz if they want 100 + prints, then ur screwed! lolz

PM me for web designs ;)

I wouldn't bother mate, I already have the market cornered on web and gaphic design.

Is a good idea to offer a company something for free, be careful though becasue they can take advantage. I did this for a camping company and got my design in the UK Festival Guide and the Argos catalouge.

It's a crowded market mate and it helps if you can show you have worked in the industry doing it and have the work to back it up along with tesimonials. A lot of people think they can take their weekend hobby to the work place, but sometimes it isn't as easy as that.

As the saying goes, "Everyone's a web designer"!! No offence to anyone, but if you design logos like someone of the good folk on this site, then I'd keep it as a hobby... Just being realistic. You need to build a portfolio and get your foot in doors, make clients happy and get testimonials.

For printing try, www.vistaprint.com. As soon as you order 250 premium business cards, you should find they will bombard you with emails for loads of offers and saving on flyers, cards, notepads, magnets, all kind of marketing bumpth...

I wouldn't bother mate, I already have the market cornered on web and gaphic design.

How'd you mean mate?

As the saying goes, "Everyone's a web designer"!! No offence to anyone, but if you design logos like someone of the good folk on this site, then I'd keep it as a hobby... Just being realistic.

lol. I know what you mean mate, but I have a degree in this subject, so its not just a hobby:)

Is a good idea to offer a company something for free, be careful though becasue they can take advantage. I did this for a camping company and got my design in the UK Festival Guide and the Argos catalouge.

It's a crowded market mate and it helps if you can show you have worked in the industry doing it and have the work to back it up along with tesimonials. A lot of people think they can take their weekend hobby to the work place, but sometimes it isn't as easy as that.

As the saying goes, "Everyone's a web designer"!! No offence to anyone, but if you design logos like someone of the good folk on this site, then I'd keep it as a hobby... Just being realistic. You need to build a portfolio and get your foot in doors, make clients happy and get testimonials.

For printing try, www.vistaprint.com. As soon as you order 250 premium business cards, you should find they will bombard you with emails for loads of offers and saving on flyers, cards, notepads, magnets, all kind of marketing bumpth...

Yes, getting testimonials is important, i forgot to mention that :)

Get in touch with Business Link mate, they will help put you in touch with local clients and help build your portfolio. From there word of mouth is the best form of advertising so just do a good job ;-)

How'd you mean mate?

lol. I know what you mean mate, but I have a degree in this subject, so its not just a hobby:)

Was only joking. Are you based in the North West? if you are see I can't give you too much advice, lol...

Best thing I can sugest is to work in design company for a few years, learn how they do stuff business wise, how to deal with clients etc, make your plans, save money up, start up part time and then when you think you can, go freelance.

There are a couple of books about going freelance web/design and .Net or Computer Arts magazine did a special issue about it which you cuold still probably order on back issues.

Yee know too much already !!!

@madeinbeats: Just checking, but you don't think mas123 is asking about web designs do you? Sorry if you are not, its just i spotted you mention about web designing more than once and thought you may be giving advice about the wrong topic..... just an observation :)

@madeinbeats: Just checking, but you don't think mas123 is asking about web designs do you? Sorry if you are not, its just i spotted you mention about web designing more than once and thought you may be giving advice about the wrong topic..... just an observation :)

Think the advice applies to both really mate. I know they are different areas, but I do both and there is no major difference to the way the business model should work.

I know a lot of people say you are one or the other, but I do mostly web but have designed quite a few logos, flyers, business cards etc... so know about CMYK, spot colours, DPi boarders and bleeds etc. I have worked recently with designers who think they know about the web but send me graphics in CMYK, not RGB, and in all kinds of different sizes... they don't understand you have to be pixel perfect with the web, especially since CSS layout.

But I would say 99.9% of the advice given applies to both areas here.

Graphic design can lead towards web design, or also go the other direction and head towards manufacture too ~physically making stuff; printing machines, vinyl products, wood signage, etc. I agree its not important really, you have to go in the direction that your custom takes you. The exact nature of business isnt that critical, its more about getting the customers and recommendations.
Without doubt you need to get a website set up with portfolio/examples and offer some freebies and special deals, or get friends and family using you, then build on that. Dont rely on new web customers, you still need to be out promoting yourself & services.

Think the advice applies to both really mate. I know they are different areas, but I do both and there is no major difference to the way the business model should work.

I know a lot of people say you are one or the other, but I do mostly web but have designed quite a few logos, flyers, business cards etc... so know about CMYK, spot colours, DPi boarders and bleeds etc. I have worked recently with designers who think they know about the web but send me graphics in CMYK, not RGB, and in all kinds of different sizes... they don't understand you have to be pixel perfect with the web, especially since CSS layout.

But I would say 99.9% of the advice given applies to both areas here.
Yeah ur not wrong there, was just checking that there was no confusion. ;)

Back to topic then, mas123, word of mouth is always best :)

Back