Horizontal Vertical?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
My mate has moved into a block of 6 flats. There seems to be a communal dish outside. I went up his attic and in the corner there seems to be 6 leads coming in from the dish. 4 of these go across the attic and through a wall. So i grab one of the 2 spares and hook it up to his Dreambox. Strange thing is, it's only picking up Horizontal channels? (so i think maybe it's the LNB port, so hooks up the other lead instead) Now it's only picking up Vertical channels?

Any ideas please?

Dar

edit (sorry wrong section, thought it was dish fixtures and cable feeds lol)

Last edited:
My mate has moved into a block of 6 flats. There seems to be a communal dish outside. I went up his attic and in the corner there seems to be 6 leads coming in from the dish. 4 of these go across the attic and through a wall. So i grab one of the 2 spares and hook it up to his Dreambox. Strange thing is, it's only picking up Horizontal channels? (so i think maybe it's the LNB port, so hooks up the other lead instead) Now it's only picking up Vertical channels?

Any ideas please?

Dar

edit (sorry wrong section, thought it was dish fixtures and cable feeds lol)

It sounds like the four cables are from a Quattro LNB, feeding a multiswitch. Quattro LNB's have two vertical outputs (one low band, one high) and likewise for horizontal. These outputs are not suited to connect directly to a receiver. So while your mate had vertical channels only, most probably no one else in the block did! You will need to locate the multiswitch and, if it has any spare output ports, connect to one of those. Ask the admin company.
I do get extremely annoyed when people who don't know what they're doing tamper with communal systems. I've had a couple of my installations mucked up by 'screwdriver experts'. I get the complaint from the legitimate owner who now has little or no signal while the clot is long-gone. Who pays? Not really fair to expect the legit owner to cough up, but why should I waste my professional time & money?

Cheers for the reply (and to manic01 for the PM)

To be honest, i did want to follow the 4 cables going through the wall in case they went to some sort of junction box. Problem was, he's just moved in and he has got a sort of Victor Meldew character next door which he has already had a few moans from and the main attic cover is right outside his door and my mate don't want me to go up into it, in case the guy starts moaning to the housing association/ landlord? lol

Anyway, the wall which the 4 black cables are going through also has 2 white cables coming back in, they head for the corner above the room where the TV is. I assumed that, one was for Terestrial aerial and the other Satellite. On opening the wall plate, i was expecting to find two cables, but there's only the one and a bit of circuitry. It's difficult to get into the corner under the fiberglass to see where they split from two into one. Am i likely to find some special splitter somewhere in the corner? Also, with the two white cables that go back through the wall, will they both be heading for some universal SAT/UHF junction/ splitter or will they be going to separate junction/ splitters?

Thanks for reading. :)

Dar

Back