UPVC Flag hinge adjustment question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I alter the door compression on a UPVC flag hinge ?. I can see how to alter the up down but not the in out it's the top right corner needs pulling in.
I only have 2 adjustment screws, one on the hinge side and the other on the bottom of the hinge.
It's the hook lock that's catching so the door needs dragging in at the top all the rest is fine. I can't adjust the hook plate on the frame unlike the mortice lock plate as it's a riveted plate.
IMG_20221107_154829.jpgIMG_20221107_130830.jpg

Yeah Ive watched that and a few others before asking, I've had a good go today. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment on my door hinge say tilt it back forward towards the frame dragging the top corner in on my door. What's worse, there's no adjustment were the hook lock goes into the frame say like an adjustable plate.
It seems to have been put in abit sh*t and it doesn't look a dear one as well. In the end I've ended up filing the aluminium slot about 3mm back so the hook goes up and into the slot but without pulling the handle off in the process.

Still strange there's no adjustment

Yeah Ive watched that and a few others before asking, I've had a good go today. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment on my door hinge say tilt it back forward towards the frame dragging the top corner in on my door. What's worse, there's no adjustment were the hook lock goes into the frame say like an adjustable plate.
It seems to have been put in abit sh*t and it doesn't look a dear one as well. In the end I've ended up filing the aluminium slot about 3mm back so the hook goes up and into the slot but without pulling the handle off in the process.

Still strange there's no adjustment
Had to adjust the cam on mine last year at the bottom, it didn't want to move initially, but took the chance and forced it and it worked a treat.

I adjusted the cams in mine recently as the door would not seal when closed. I think the mechanism of the door is wobbly compared to when installed. I moved the keep further in so the door was sealed better and it worked a treat.

Definitely try the cam first though. (Round peice with Allen key slot)

I have altered the cams on windows with success but haven’t done a door before. Same principle, I suppose.

I adjusted the cams in mine recently as the door would not seal when closed. I think the mechanism of the door is wobbly compared to when installed. I moved the keep further in so the door was sealed better and it worked a treat.

Definitely try the cam first though. (Round peice with Allen key slot)
I tried that with the Allen key but one way door wouldn't lock the other way it just about closed.
I saw some videos of a slightly different flag hinge were the bottom screw allows the door to moves towards and away from the frame. Mine only has 2 adjustment screws, one underneath the pole of the lock (this lifts door up or down) and the screw that's in the hole on the side if the hinge (this pushes the whole door left or right).
For me the plate on the door frame were the hook and the cam go into should be adjustable like the mortice and handle lock plate is but it's riveted in in situ.
Anyway I've p*ssed around again this morning and I've got it as good as.
A spirit level says the frame is 10mm out so no wonder there's a gap at the top !!

Back