home 120 changing mac address problem

b3nnyb0y said:
aye i have a soldering iron out coz i was doing something earlier with it to a wifi antenna uhm yeah scrub the battery but i dunno if i wanna lift the pin or cut the track im a bit heavy handed.... and may end up carving it like a christmas turkey lol :eek: lol
if i was you i wouldnt lift the pin, i tried it and broke it, but there again, other people have done it and been more gentle than me and havent broke the leg, its up to yerself mate, if you have a good eye and non shaky hands and good equipment you would be better soldering right onto the leg, its very tricky, i would need a big magnifiying glass too, lol

That's the theory :).

If /WE (or pin 11) is high then is shouldn't be possible to write to the device.

Whether or not the Broadcom chip likes being disconnected from /WE on the TSOP or having it backdriven is maybe a different matter.

Spectre said:
That's the theory :).

If /WE (or pin 11) is high then is shouldn't be possible to write to the device.

Whether or not the Broadcom chip likes being disconnected from /WE on the TSOP or having it backdriven is maybe a different matter.

how about booting up mate, will the modem boot up with the wire "on" (write protected) ??

It isn't something I can test properly :(.

I remember someone saying the 200 doesn't boot if pin 11 is taken high while still connected?

Whatever pin 11 is connected to on the BCM chip might not like being forced high, maybe disconnect TSOP pin 11 and take it high and also (after cutting the track) connect the other side to 0V in case it's floating and acting high.

i might ask clive coz i cant solder for shit unless its something huge lmao and my hands shake like i have parkinsons :eek: lol uhm ill see what happens ill ask clive if he would do it for me coz i really am heavy handed hah

Spectre said:
It isn't something I can test properly :(.

I remember someone saying the 200 doesn't boot if pin 11 is taken high while still connected?

Whatever pin 11 is connected to on the BCM chip might not like being forced high, maybe disconnect TSOP pin 11 and take it high and also (after cutting the track) connect the other side to 0V in case it's floating and acting high.
why dont you just set it up for your c&w and test it that way, then once tested you can revert back to flashing the chips with ntl firmware, or wouldnt that work ??? Just for you to test the theory i mean.

Spectre said:
I'm not in a C&W area.

sorry mate, i thought you had said to me before you were in c&w area, my mistake :( what area you in, telewest or what ??

I think i'm gonna try this tomorrow as I'm at work at the moment,

if I wire pin 11 to the 3.3 pin,

and put a switch in the middle (or maybe twist the two together at a cut mid point and tape).

then boot the modem, and see if it updates the firmware,

then if it doesn't I'll undo it, update the mac, and then link it again,

will it boot ok?
or is there something I'm missing as this sounds a little bit too easy.

whats the worse that will happen if It updates the firmware? the mac set is locked? am I right?

Spectre said:
TW so I get left out of all the fun :( LOL.

i thought the ntl modems would have worked on the telewest network and vice versa, ive even seen guys saying recently they are using the aol ambit modems on ntl ???

telewest cant be ambits then, eh ?

edit : someone was saying summit about having an aol modem going on ntl in digy world the other day iam sure.

theayatollah said:
I think i'm gonna try this tomorrow as I'm at work at the moment,
if I wire pin 11 to the 3.3 pin,
and put a switch in the middle (or maybe twist the two together at a cut mid point and tape).
then boot the modem, and see if it updates the firmware,
then if it doesn't I'll undo it, update the mac, and then link it again,
will it boot ok?
or is there something I'm missing as this sounds a little bit too easy.
whats the worse that will happen if It updates the firmware? the mac set is locked? am I right?

yea worst that can happens is you get the firmware then your only option is to have the chip reflashed back to pre firmware, but if you have the wire on pin 11 and a 3.3v it defo wont take the firmware from what i hear, only thing iam concerned about is will the modem boot up like you say with the wire connected, if it does then brilliant, but if it doesnt then the mod is practically useless, eh ??? I.E - if the modem cant boot then you turn the wire off and boot up then the modem will take the firmware anyway, correct ??? i dunno, my head is spinning with this one, but i have faith in me old pal spectre anyway :)

Ambits do work on TW, the DOCSIS is what matters, they are all designed around the same standards almost.

There is no update firmware for them on TW though, they can't download a compatible image.

Does those shell commands that set the download retry attempts to 0 not stop 200s updating?

Bit of a silly question...

SHouldn't we be looking for ways to make the updated firmwares work instead of reflashing back to old firmwares?

it seems like NTL are moving forward while we still working in the past?

i wonder if any 1 can find a way to force the modem to take preupdate firmware instead of taking the chip out and flashing it?

Spectre said:
Does those shell commands that set the download retry attempts to 0 not stop 200s updating?

i dont think so, my 200 took the update, maybe other people could share thier findings though please ?

Spectre said:
Ambits do work on TW, the DOCSIS is what matters, they are all designed around the same standards almost.

There is no update firmware for them on TW though, they can't download a compatible image.

No Spectre these shell commands dont work, seems like they have found a way to force incompatible firmware.

Back