home 120 changing mac address problem

theayatollah

Inactive User
Reaction score
I changed the mac on a home 120 earlier,

then the next time it booted it updated the firmware,

now I can't change the mac using hyper terminal

any ideas what I can do?

no i dont think so unless u have a willem and a dump of a 120 chip then u can rewrite the old software

michael 1

As far as i'm aware 120's can't be cloned?
Got to be a 200

cheers for the reply,

so if the modem has its firmware updated (ie shows ntl when you connect to it) you can't change the mac address of the modem?

ok,

so whats the best way to do the 200, (I have one but I don't want to f**k it up)

I've got a max 232 and some MACs from a local area think they are for home 120s but as I got them wirelessly with FCPForce I can't tell what they are,

I need a tutorial or guide to make sure my home 200 doesn't end up as a paper weight.

any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

do the pin 11 mod mate, ive heard some people say it doesnt work but ive also been advise by some great tech head guys to do the pin 11 mod.

As of yet, ive not personally tried the pin 11 mod, but hey ! it wont do no harm mate, just do it and make it switchable (on/off) then that way you'll get the modem to boot up, so iam told :)

L33tpL4y4 said:
best to get a 120 or 100 at this stage m8!!!!.

you dont like that pin 11 mod, dont ya mate , lol :)

L33tpL4y4 said:
your right, its pants, also havnt heard a good word about it yet.
http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64533
Read this, if you havnt aready.

Iam only going by what ive been told mate, my info comes from "Spectre" who is a moderator for the cable modem forum section, he's been at this type of stuff for years n years now and he reckons that there is no reason that the pin 11 mod shouldnt work, although he isnt positive about it, but certainly he says its worth giving a go.

Now, by no means do I doubt your word either mate, its a forum afterall and peoples opinions and advice are what its all about :)

What exactly again was your problem with the pin 11 mod, you couldnt get the modem to boot afterwards or summit ???

please give info in detail matey. (maybe even spectre would like to give his 2 pence worth).

cheers :Cheers:

b3nnyb0y said:
can someone tell me like what the pin 11 mod is i aint tried it i might do tho worth a shot right?

you solder a wire from pin 11 on the tsop chip to a 3.3v and it supposidly makes the chip unwritable, I.E- wont take the new firmware (see picture)

lol well thats gunna take me about 2 mins
but i might fubar the modem as last time i like wrecked a cimm in me digibox as clive knows lol ; @ ) uh im not sure if i wanna do this or not...

b3nnyb0y said:
lol well thats gunna take me about 2 mins
but i might fubar the modem as last time i like wrecked a cimm in me digibox as clive knows lol ; @ ) uh im not sure if i wanna do this or not...

give it a try mate, you have nuffin to lose, just be very very gental if you lift the pin as they can break very easy, just lift it enough and no more, or just dont lift the pin at all, just solder onto it.

use two pieces of wire, solder one onto pin 11, one onto the 3.3v and then just use them like a switch.

iam not sure how it works, i think you connect them (on) and change the mac etc, and then to get the modem to boot up you disconnect them, iam not sure though, maybe someone else can tell us :)

b3nnyb0y said:
ok cool ill try it heh :D ill be carefull :p like can i use any wire or not?

iam not sure about the wire, iam sure if its low voltage then any wire would do, eh ???

another thing i was thinking about is, i think you would need to leave the switch "on" so as it write protects the chip and off to change the mac, that sounds more like it, eh ?? lol

right im thinking connecting a 3.3v battery to the pin11 when its on and taking it off when i change mac? lol crazy idea but it might work?

i just spoke to spectre and he said basically the pin11 mod works like the write protect on a floppy and im 99.9% its got to work if it has voltage going through it it cant be written to i belive i might be wrong but something along them lines like ;) :Cheers:

b3nnyb0y said:
right im thinking connecting a 3.3v battery to the pin11 when its on and taking it off when i change mac? lol crazy idea but it might work?

iam getting confused now, lol.

i think its off to change the mac and after mac is changed it needs to stay on to block the firmware upgrade, if you have soldering iron out you may as well just connect the wire to the 3.3v pin as seen in the picture i posted, forget a battery, lol.

edit, i see what you says about spectre, i already mentioned what he said earlier in this thread mate, read back, lol.

aye i have a soldering iron out coz i was doing something earlier with it to a wifi antenna uhm yeah scrub the battery but i dunno if i wanna lift the pin or cut the track im a bit heavy handed.... and may end up carving it like a christmas turkey lol :eek: lol

Back