holiday money

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
My kid is due to go on a holiday with the school (Paris), I do not want to give her loads of money to take but would like to have some type of pre paid card or something as a back up.

Does anyone have any clues the best way to do this, I was told about the post office one, but this charges for ATM's.

Why not get a 02 pre pay credit card .. when she needs money top it up on the website :)

Yes O2 is good. You can link it to your mobile and you can receive text each time it is used and how balance is left. O2 said some companies will not accept them such as petrol station but never had any issues so far.

I looked at the O2, seams I need a O2 phone and 2.75% every time she used it abroad.

I will keep it in mind but I will keep looking.

Pretty much all CC will charge for using abroad or give crap exchange rate

a caxton fx card in euros?

pre loaded at a good exchange rate and there are no ATM fees, can be topped up via text message if set up too.

i though you didnt need credit cards anymore,

can u not just open a bank account and use the card abroad?

the cards with the cirrus symbol?

the school can keep the money and give her so much each day and you could tell the school to give her all the rest of the money on the last day to buy what ever she wanted..its a safer way to credit/debit cards m8 as kids dont know what charges certain places charge etc: just a suggestion pal

i have used th fairfx card yuo can get a euro one and get a set rate or a pound one where you get the rate on the day. dont know how shops will take it though depending on your kids age

Thanks for the feed back, All the cards cost something somewhere, I also need to open a bank account for her so I will see what the offer.

We have one more meeting with the school it seems they have some back up for emergency money, I will see what that is.

my daughter is going to Rome with her school in a couple of months as well, my son went two years ago. the school generally give a guideline of how much cash to bring so that all the kids have roughly the same amount of money, they don't like them to bring too much.

if your daughter has some kind of card or whatever instead of cash, it might cause problems, as they usually have organised tours etc that take up most of the days. so for teachers to have to take time out to find her a cash machine or whatever might cause hassle. also going by my experience of my son's trip, your daughter won't be allowed to go anywhere on her own.

The school has suggested a minimum value, in my day there was a maximum.

I have no intention of throwing money at for a few day but I would hate for her not to be able to be stuck for a few quid.

I will get her to open a bank account next week and if her bank card works in Paris that will do.

She is pretty responsible and should be OK.

Back