Help with Wiring Loom for a VW Beetle

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got myself my new hobby, restoring a 1964 VW Type 1 Beetle (small window version). Now, all the welding is done, new nose, heater channels, floor, pillars, etc. i'm currently refurbing the wings, etc but the main issue i'm stuck at is the wiring.

i've got the fuse panel and i think what looks like most of the front wiring but everything else from there backwards is missing/damaged after the wedling job. The wiring diagram is easy to get : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg and most of the places/forums i've looked about on say that it's fairly straight forward to make your own (crimpers, heatshrink, etc). I've never done owt like that before so i'm not too confident unless i had a hand.

Buying a replacement is the other option, but i'm looking at £220 plus delivery for a US reproduction loom OR £300 for 1 from a UK site. astronomical and out of my current budget.

So, anyone got any experience with making reproduction wiring looms for Beetles? or looms at all? anyone fancy repairing what i've got left or making me a new one? any help/advice would be great. i am willing to pay or i have plenty of computer equipment (Pc's, TFT's) if someone fancies a deal of some sort

I've got myself my new hobby, restoring a 1964 VW Type 1 Beetle (small window version). Now, all the welding is done, new nose, heater channels, floor, pillars, etc. i'm currently refurbing the wings, etc but the main issue i'm stuck at is the wiring.

i've got the fuse panel and i think what looks like most of the front wiring but everything else from there backwards is missing/damaged after the wedling job. The wiring diagram is easy to get : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg and most of the places/forums i've looked about on say that it's fairly straight forward to make your own (crimpers, heatshrink, etc). I've never done owt like that before so i'm not too confident unless i had a hand.

Buying a replacement is the other option, but i'm looking at £220 plus delivery for a US reproduction loom OR £300 for 1 from a UK site. astronomical and out of my current budget.

So, anyone got any experience with making reproduction wiring looms for Beetles? or looms at all? anyone fancy repairing what i've got left or making me a new one? any help/advice would be great. i am willing to pay or i have plenty of computer equipment (Pc's, TFT's) if someone fancies a deal of some sort

Just phoned the lad there and he said £220 for a reproduction one is the best option he said he would be there for ever making it all by hand (I explained you had the front loom) but he still said for that much work he couldnt beat £220.

Anyway heres his number 01914166337 if you need him for any help after youve orderd the loom just tell him you got his number of (roberts keys) he said anyone doing that by hand and spending that much time on the van the bill would run into hundreds.

Have a go ya self mate surely the best person for the job is you as you can take as long as you want and also a good learning curve.

good luck :proud:

thanks for going to all that effort - it's really appreciated. it's kinda made me realise that maybe its worth it after all getting a ready made repro.

thanks again

Back