Request: Looking for images late 90's Warez CD's (Blobby, Voodoo, Playdoh etc)

hackmax

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any of these still lying around gathering dust?

If so would you mind making a, ISO (or better still, and Alcohol 120% MSD dump of them).

I have uploaded copies of all the ones I had to archive.org (All cracked so compatible with DOSBOX ECE) but I've got a lot missing.

Not interested in the more modern warez CD's that were windows apps etc, more interested in the ones with old DOS games on.

Complications I am looking for:-
- Blobby (Also known as Slobby)
- Playdoh
- Voodoo
- Tango
- Alkey
- Ghost

These were often sold for £20-£30, in the late 90's before CD writers became easily available.

God that brings back memory's going to the local pc fair and betting them from a bloke out side :)

Found this place enjoy ;)

Blobby warez

Those are my uploads! (Pascal of Irate = me)

I used that name 20 odd years ago when I was cracking the protection on blobby CD's as soon as they were been released :)

(Unbelievable, copy protected W@r3z!)

I used to copy protect PS1 games when I resold them after copying. Or protected CDs as well. WinCDR I think it was called, and you changed a file at the end so a CDRW couldn't copy it properly.

I used to copy protect PS1 games when I resold them after copying. Or protected CDs as well. WinCDR I think it was called, and you changed a file at the end so a CDRW couldn't copy it properly.

You bad w@r3z d00d.

That's just not Cricket Jan. lol
No honour amongst pirates.
I think we need to come up with some sort of dodgy geezers code of ethics?

That's just not Cricket Jan. lol
No honour amongst pirates.
I think we need to come up with some sort of dodgy geezers code of ethics?

They did, the code was added to stop others re-copy the disk. Dodgy geezers ethic= £’s 🤑

So come on, loads of people must have these old cd's filed away somewhere?

So come on, loads of people must have these old cd's filed away somewhere?

I lost all my war3z long ago sadly, and access to various boards and groups.

And yes it was about the ££ in those days, even the top sites were making money from it, and likely still are in some form or another.

On archive.org there is a collection of 7000 dos games compiled by exoDOS all compatible with Dosbox etc...

You can get a torrent of it, if you want to download all 500gb of it. I just set my NAS to download it. :)

I know there are … this is about getting/preserving warez CD compilations that were sold with there own menu's etc.

Back in the mid 90's I used to get my discs from a guy that lived down the road. He offered to sell his equipment to me for £1200. His equipment consisted of a cd writer and his collection of software.
I think a cd writer was around a grand when they first came out.

Back in the mid 90's I used to get my discs from a guy that lived down the road. He offered to sell his equipment to me for £1200. His equipment consisted of a cd writer and his collection of software.
I think a cd writer was around a grand when they first came out.

Saw a single speed (Sony?) parallel port one that was about £800.

Even in 1997/8 it was a total pain when a screensaver came on in the middle of a write. There's your £5 Silver Premium disk gone :).

Back in the day got a scsi yahammare 4 speed writer

Never had buffer underrun protection

So did the virtual memory to try to help form getting coasters (i was posh and had 4mb) lol

Payed £370 and would burn them at x2 speed to be safe

But at £5 a cd it was an expensive coaster :)

Binned my blobby cd years ago @hackmax m8 bugger

And good to see your trying to keep it alive m8

Like they way you have hacked some cd's as you would make a ISO and burn it ect and the cd tray would just open gerrr running the EXE file ;)

Liking your place got some good retro stuff on

The exact message was: "In, Out, Shake it all About" …. whilst it ejected the CD and re-inserted it.

Of course my versions had this "bug" "fixed". :)

Some fun facts:-

The blobby CD #1 copy protection allowed a copy to run before April 1st 1994, I guess they planned on people re-selling copies which would then 'die' giving the 'ripoff reseller' a bad name. The copies would produce a fake 'CDR101 Not Ready Reading Drive …" type message after April 1st. Sly ;)

Later versions deleted all .COM and .EXE files in C:\DOS if they failed some checks. There was a message to somebody called 'Dave' with regard to this. No idea who Dave was.

The protections usually were based on:

1) 4 files called $$$$$$$$.EXE … Doing a file copy would make the second, third etc. all overwrite eachother leaving you just 1.
2) Audio track at the end of the CD with less than 2 seconds. A program called CDTEST was used to extract this and compare the number of blocks. Copying using Track at Once caused this to fail.

There were other interesting protections on individual disks, such volume label, specific files, and Authenticating CDTEST.EXE was intact (my method of cracking the disks was to replace this with an 'emulator' to return the correct data regardless. After the authentication checks were added I patched those out (Actually I redirected them to authenticate against a copy called CDTEST.OLD so I could still replace the EXE with my emulator!)

They tried numerous tools to protect there exe's from a patching (HackStop 1.12/1.13, Protect! v5.1 and at least one other I could never identify). I was able to manually extract the real EXE out manually from a memory dump and rebuild the DOS header and DOS relocation table to produce an unpacked EXE for cracking.

Oh and the less said about 'BlobLoc' the better :p

Most of there DOS menus were written in Turbo Pascal, which came back to bite them - a Turbo Pascal compiled program crashed when CPU's reached 200mhz due to a bug in the calibration routine used for the Delay() function. Program would now crash with a runtime error 200. My cracked versions were fixed for fast CPU's by correcting this bugged routine.

Ah memories....

Wow very interesting on how they did the protections ;)

Back