Help with Virus

silvershadow21

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,
somehow, i have got a virus on my laptop this evening, and i am having no luck at all in getting rid of it. I have already run my adaware program, and online trend micro, but it still hasnt cured it.

What is happening is my Taskbar is constantly dissapearing and reappearing, and i cant see my folders on my desktop.
When i try to click on either say, my computer, or control panel, the application launches, but only for about 10 seconds, then shuts down again.

i did however, see a program called outerinfo on my programs, and i uninstalled that, as i thot that was the culprit, (or adding to it) but i am still getting the same problems.

Help please !!!!

Tom

Here's an un-installer for Outerinfo
And a tutorial for it.
When you've ran that...DON'T REBOOT!!!
Download Combofix
(Don't clock on Combofix when it's running, it may cause it to stall).
Once you've done that, reboot & run another AV scan.
HTH.

A million thanks. "combofix" seems to have done the trick.

Christ, what a good program. I havent heard of it before, but it done the job well.

Cheers guys to all that gave me a wee bit info

Tom

It probably never went away :(. The only REALLY safe way to get rid of it is to format and re-install. Make sure you scan VERY thoroughly (with all the AV progs you can get your hands on) everything you've backed up before you re-install it onto your nice clean system.

You could try an online scan I've found Kaspersky pretty good, http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
and try and manually delete any files that come up. I recently has a virus that I caught on MSN and even though I kept deleting the infected files they kept coming back. I ended up using a programme called KillBox, http://killbox.net/ to delete the files. It was taking a risk but it worked.

Guys, i think i may need to go for either a repair options, or total reinstall i have ran all the virus scans possible, but i am coming up wit nothing really.
I actually wondered if i had the symptons on an explorer crash, as the taskbar and desktop items are constantly dissapearing and reappearing, like every 5 seconds or so.

********************************** or
if i can, would i be able to back up my music files, and some movies that i have saved+ somenword documents, without carrying any virus to my external hard drive?could the effect
With regards to virus's, could they effect avi or mpe files

You shouldn't carry anything over in videos or mp3's. I've never heard of anything like that. It's not to say it'd be impossible, but just highly unlikely. You should be safe.
I remember reading about spyware pre-installed on some external drives. This isn't your problem is it?
If you want to be extra safe when doing the backup, try booting a linux livecd and transferring all your files across then. That will stop any deep rooted malware installing itself onto the files
Good luck

edit: As for word documents, then yes, these could well contain viruses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advice on Best Free anti virus

Guys, after getting hammered by this virus, i had to fully reformat, and reinstall.
I have never had to do this in 10 years in having a computer due to a virus.
I had backed up, so it wasnt too bad, just a pain installing again

I was using Bitdefender 10 free edition, and windows own firewall,and never really had a problem upto now.

I quite like the windows firewall, but i think i really need to consider a new virus protection,
*free edition* if available of course, but one that has * realtime * virus protection, if you can get it, that is.

Could have your advice and thots on this.

I have got *spybot* for mailware, & also adaware PE, but can i ask your thoughts on
the window defender program

cheers

tom

having all the software to keep you clean is only part of it - it's down to being sensible too.

u got any P2P apps installed? downloaded owt recently? scan ZNY zips file u download for nasties.

also, after the big clean up - turn system restore off just b4 final reboot.

Back