help with duo in another room

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hiya, im wanting to have the vu duo go to another tv so it can be watched in another room but also wanting to be able to change channel from this other room aswell, ive seen these

--|AV18497|HDMI OVER CAT5 WITH IR EXTENDER | CPC

which look like what im looking for, i was thinking of running the cat5 cable on the out side of the house, drilling hole in living room behond the tv and feeding cat5 ethernet cable threw the hole then up out side of house to the bedroom tv and drill behond that tv threw the wall, ive got a long 20 metre ethernet cable could i use that or does it have to be a certain waterproof ethernet cable or something like that, has anyone got any of these ? thanks

techinically yes,
it should be external grade to protect it from the elements,
If you've already got the cat5 cable in that legnth then i would just advise that you give the cable a lick of paint after you put it up and that should protect it from UV light etc.

Regards,
Crazy.

ok thanks alot, im gona order that from farnells i think, im best of putting a lick of paint onit then really arent i, the ethernet cable that is, thanks

yeah,
make sure you dont leave any gaps to expose the cable.
we dont want the sun to rape your new cat5 cable now ^^

is there not a see threw lacker or anything like that that will do the job ?

I'm not sure to be honest,
If its a thick enough layer then maybe, but i really am not sure.

Take glass for instance,
its see through, and the sun's UV rays can still get into your home,
you put a thin white layer of paint over your glass (don't try it though obviously) you'll have a very dark room. Similiar principle really.

It just all depends on whether or not the lacker will absorb enough of the UV light.
Maybe if someone has a UV spectrometer handy, they can do a little experiment :)

Besides,
why you want that ugly wire along the legnth of the wall?
would you rather not paint it to match your brickwork?

yeah them last 2 points are very true be better to try and hide the wire with paint simular colour to brick work int it, thanks

Why not just use home plugs ?

im pretty sure they dont work, as the ethernet wire is used to carry 1080p or 1080i hd with them boxes ive bought, plus i really think a wired connection for hd would be more stable and better and its got the infra red thing on so i can use the remote control for the duo in both rooms,

you could also try a router flashed with dd-wrt.
just as good as they are very stable.

CrazyFool.

ive orddered everything now, im not too bothered bout running the ethernet wires on the outside of the house, as long as it works properly and get to keep the hd picture il be happy, also hope the infra red thing for the remote works properly as thats a biggy aswell, be nightmare not been able to change channel from the room im watching the vu duo in,

just thought id leave a little update incase anyone was wanting to do a simular thing to what i have, got my hdmi box things and cat6 ethernet cables, and i am very impressed with it, its just what i wanted, keep great picture and the infra red thing works perfectly, really happy with it, hopefully tommorrow i will have time to set it all up properly, by that i mean drilling threw the walls and running the cat 6 cables around the house, and painting the cables aswell, gona use them satellite cables clips things to tak it to the house, gona put a lick of paint on the cables as im putting them into place , thanks for the advice there, thats about it, i would definately reccommend them to people if they are wanting the same thing as they work perfectly, thanks

make sure the cable clips are the right size,
it matters doubly with ethernet cable at the cat6 standard especially if you need the bandwidth for something like a network storage solution as a smaller sized cable clip could put pressure on the wire causing the strands inside to become damaged.
make sure the clips are external grade too with the longer nails. otherwise they wont sit in comfortably.

Back